Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Parking issues with neighbor

RedlineBrett

Registered
This is in Calgary.

Guy parks his two POS old trucks outside of one of our properties. He will leave them there for weeks at a time. He lives about three doors down, and there is only a 2hr parking time in front of his place. There are no signs at all in front of ours.

Anyone encounter anything like this? Surly it can`t be possible to basically abandon a car on the street. Can we get parking permits from the city that he couldn`t also get?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with things like this?

vandriani

REIN Member
My totally uniformed thought is...
If you phone the city, they should be able to tell you if there is a bylaw with respects that a vehicle can be parked infront of a property, eventhough it is parked on the street legally. I vaguely recall someone mentioning that if it does not move for an extended period then it can be towed. Again, please check with the city unless you are trying to keep the city away from learning something about your property.

GarthChapman

Registered
Brett, as I understand things you do not have any special rights to the parking area on the street in front of your property, unless you possess a Handicap permit. In that case you can have about 30 feet or so in front of your property designated Handicapped Parking via a sign from the city.

THere might be a Bylaw about how long a licensed vehicle can be parked without being moved. Call 311 and ask the city on that.

RedlineBrett

Registered
Hi Garth,

Yeah that`s what I thought too. Worried we have no rights in front but whatever law is in place this can`t be in the spirit of it.

Anyways I`ll spend some time on 3-1-1 and let the forum know!

QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jan 23 2009, 11:16 AM) Brett, as I understand things you do not have any special rights to the parking area on the street in front of your property, unless you possess a Handicap permit. In that case you can have about 30 feet or so in front of your property designated Handicapped Parking via a sign from the city.

THere might be a Bylaw about how long a licensed vehicle can be parked without being moved. Call 311 and ask the city on that.

PaulPoulsen

Registered
In Edmonton, if a vehicle is parked on the street for more that 72 hours and you call to complain, the police treat it as though it were abandoned. They put a warning sticker on the driver`s window and a couple of days later, if the sticker is still there, they tow it.
A Google search turned up this link --> http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/26m96.pdf
At the VERY end (no lie - the very last item), it says:
ABANDONED VEHICLE

(1) No person shall abandon a vehicle on a highway.
(2) No person shall abandon a vehicle on public or private property without the
express or implied consent of the owner or person in lawful possession or control
of the property.
(3) A vehicle left standing, at a location referred to in subsection (1) or (2), for more
than 72 consecutive hours shall be deemed to have been abandoned at that
location for the purposes of section 93 of the Motor Vehicle Administration Act.

I`d say call the cops but instead of saying, "Some jerk is parking his crap in front of my property," tell them that the vehicle hasn`t moved in days/weeks/months/decades/whatever you deem appropriate, and you think it`s been abandoned.

Best of luck!

RedlineBrett

Registered
WOW thanks Paul! Very thorough, would it be bylaw or the police department?
Nice to know that it`s 72hrs and not longer.

QUOTE (PaulPoulsen @ Jan 23 2009, 10:16 PM) In Edmonton, if a vehicle is parked on the street for more that 72 hours and you call to complain, the police treat it as though it were abandoned. They put a warning sticker on the driver`s window and a couple of days later, if the sticker is still there, they tow it.

A Google search turned up this link --> http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/26m96.pdf
At the VERY end (no lie - the very last item), it says:
ABANDONED VEHICLE

(1) No person shall abandon a vehicle on a highway.
(2) No person shall abandon a vehicle on public or private property without the
express or implied consent of the owner or person in lawful possession or control
of the property.
(3) A vehicle left standing, at a location referred to in subsection (1) or (2), for more
than 72 consecutive hours shall be deemed to have been abandoned at that
location for the purposes of section 93 of the Motor Vehicle Administration Act.

I`d say call the cops but instead of saying, "Some jerk is parking his crap in front of my property," tell them that the vehicle hasn`t moved in days/weeks/months/decades/whatever you deem appropriate, and you think it`s been abandoned.

Best of luck!

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Jan 24 2009, 10:36 AM) WOW thanks Paul! Very thorough, would it be bylaw or the police department?

Nice to know that it`s 72hrs and not longer.

You would call the Bylaw enforcement people. Would be interested to hear what they have to say and in what they do.

And here is another section that may apply depending on the size of the trucks:

18. (1) No owner or operator shall, between the hours of eight o’clock in the evening and eight o’clock in the morning of the following day or at any time on a holiday, park or permit the parking of a vehicle other than:
(a) a private passenger type vehicle; or
(b) a truck having a maximum weight of four thousand kilograms or less; on either side of a street in which any property abutting the street in the same block is used as a park, playground, school site, church or other place of public worship or for residential purposes.
(2) The restrictions contained in this Section are in addition to and not in place of the parking restrictions contained in the Truck Routes Bylaw of the City.
(3) No owner or operator of any truck shall park such truck, or allow such truck to be parked, on a street other than a Truck Route, except during such time as that truck is being used in the making of a delivery, or is being used in the performance of some work or service.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jan 24 2009, 12:00 PM) You would call the Bylaw enforcement people. Would be interested to hear what they have to say and in what they do.

Well, after being shuffled around to different people for a while I have an update to this and it isn`t good.

Apparently, a homeowner is allowed to park anywhere within four blocks of the registered address for the vehicle. There is no 72hr time limit or anything and this guy can leave both of his vehicles in front of my place for as long as he wants and there really isn`t anything we can do about it.

We could push for a 2hr time limit zone in front of our house but he would more than likely be issued a neighborhood parking pass and we`d be back at square 1.

So, looks like I`ll have to find another solution or way to mitigate this.

Would be nice if he at least screwed over all of his neighbors equally.. lol.

RisingWealth

Registered
[We could push for a 2hr time limit zone in front of our house but he would more than likely be issued a neighborhood parking pass and we`d be back at square 1.

If this is the case then why couln`t he be issued a pass for the 2hr zone in front of his place?

Top Bottom