Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Parking

InvestagainInc

Registered
Hi. I have two tenants that I am having parking issues with, One has a large trailer that is immobile he will not move. I do not want it on the property.

The other has a vehicle that does not move, it is just parked at the property. He will not remove it either.

We have rules that each tenant can only park one vehicle and there is no visitor parking. Both of the tenants have two vehicles and also have visitors parking.

Anyone had this issue? any advice?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
They are in break of the lease. Tell them that in writing. If nothing is done after a few days, have them towed and they will get a bill from towing firm.

Do not make it your problem. Make it theirs.

3canctheayr

Registered
[quote user="InvestagainInc"] Hi. I have two tenants that I am having parking issues with, One has a large trailer that is immobile he will not move. I do not want it on the property.

The other has a vehicle that does not move, it is just parked at the property. He will not remove it either.

We have rules that each tenant can only park one vehicle and there is no visitor parking. Both of the tenants have two vehicles and also have visitors parking.

Anyone had this issue? any advice?

[/quote]

The key issue is- do you have the parking rules spelled out in your lease?
If so, do as Thomas suggested, but I'd send them a clear warning letter and deadline of compliance first before sending the tow trucks. If the rules aren't in your lease or set up as an appendix, your next option would be to see if any city bylaws prevent derelict vehicles. If there are bylaws, use them to your advantage and have the vehicles removed.
Failing that, it may get more difficult for you.
I had 2 separate tenants in the same building both try to park vehicles belonging to 3rd parties on my property. One was a car belonging to a friend of theirs that had been in a collision and was disabled, the other was a large construction trailer belonging to a buddy of his.
Both cases I dealt with as quickly as possible; I said to the tenants: I'm not having stuff stored here if I'm not getting paid for it and I'm certainly not having junk vehicles parked here. I gave them firm deadlines for removal in each case. In each case, the vehicles were removed before I had to take further action.

InvestagainInc

Registered
Thanks Thomas. I don't have it in the lease as I inherited the lease. This seems to be a grey area.

InvestagainInc

Registered
I have tried that approach. They essentially did nothing. we even had a letter from the fire department saying that the trailer was a fire hazard and he still didnt move it.

The parking is not in the lease.

We checked with local by laws and they wont do anything really.

I'm at a loss. I would love to just use Thomas' suggestion and tow the trailer and car then give them a bill but I cant figure out if its in my rights.

Now we cant even get the snow out of the drive because the plow cant get in there.

S

Seeley

Send them a notice to remove the items as they are blocking snow removal and causing a safety issue. If they do not move them send an eviction notice for interfering with the rights of the landlord.

REQRentals

Registered
In Toronto it is contrary to municipal by-laws to store inoperative, unlicensed or dilapidated vehicles in your drive.

Makes neighborhood look like junkyard. Test is has to be licensed I think.

If you find out from the by-law you can serve a notice.

Top Bottom