Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Please help me decide on job compatibility with Real Estate...

AndyLuchies

Registered
I am currently a carpenter working long hours and disliking the work, I am also an avid Real Estate researcher (soon to be investor outside of my own home).
Because of my dislike of my current job, I was trying to get an entry level position at a bank (e.g. bank teller) because I want to understand how banks work better, and I need a job to get mortgages. However, no one looks at my resume because it has nothing related to money management on it.

I`ve also spent 2.5 years in the U.S. Infantry (including 7 months in Iraq) and lots of security related training. Although I hate the weird hours (nights and weekends), it seems like being a security guard would be an ideal job for me. Aside from the patrols I might need to do, I could literally work on RE while sitting at my desk at work and my resume is STACKED for this line of work. Can anyone tell me downsides to this scenario, or perhaps things I`m pretending not to see?

Note: I already dislike my current job, so the advantage of changing is not a more likeable job, but one that`s more conducive to my RE ventures.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (jessandy @ Jan 21 2009, 08:02 PM) I am currently a carpenter working long hours and disliking the work, I am also an avid Real Estate researcher (soon to be investor outside of my own home).
Because of my dislike of my current job, I was trying to get an entry level position at a bank (e.g. bank teller) because I want to understand how banks work better, and I need a job to get mortgages. However, no one looks at my resume because it has nothing related to money management on it.

I`ve also spent 2.5 years in the U.S. Infantry (including 7 months in Iraq) and lots of security related training. Although I hate the weird hours (nights and weekends), it seems like being a security guard would be an ideal job for me. Aside from the patrols I might need to do, I could literally work on RE while sitting at my desk at work and my resume is STACKED for this line of work. Can anyone tell me downsides to this scenario, or perhaps things I`m pretending not to see?

Note: I already dislike my current job, so the advantage of changing is not a more likeable job, but one that`s more conducive to my RE ventures.
Persue your dreams .. and if the security job pays decent enough and allows you to read more / study more / research more .. why not ?

Downside: too many jobs .. as no job is perfect .. RE is a job too as it takes a TON of work !!

Why not buy old ugly houses and fix them up and sell for a profit P/T if you are a handy carpenter ?? Loads of opportunity .. here or in US .. say: 6 months in TX, Phoenix or Florida or New Mexico where winters are nice (but with brutal summers) and then 6 months here in BC, SK or AB !?!?!?!

In life: wherever you go: there you are ! Ask yourself what is teh source of teh unhappiness ? Or what makes you happy when working ? maybe take an aptitude test ...

Lermy

REIN Member
My sister in law`s ex is a security guard. Makes $15/hour in Calgary. Terrible hours... It is shift work so every month he has to work X grave shifts and X day shifts. He hates that the most about the job.

Also, be prepared to work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day, etc...

Lastly, make sure you get a security job where you have the ability to research for parts of the shift. I know that "Joe" doesn`t have access to an unmonitored computer while at work. (Some guy got fired for spending countless hours surfing while working)

invst4profit

Registered
Assuming you were to change jobs for the specific purpose of allowing you more time to follow your passion for RE investing where would you be career wise if the RE path does not work out for you.

Also keep in mind it helps a lot to have a high paying job to support your passion and is very helpful in getting financing.
I personally would put my priority on earning high wages ahead of all else in the early stages of investing. You can always find extra time for RE if you really want to.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jan 22 2009, 06:39 AM) Assuming you were to change jobs for the specific purpose of allowing you more time to follow your passion for RE investing where would you be career wise if the RE path does not work out for you.

Also keep in mind it helps a lot to have a high paying job to support your passion and is very helpful in getting financing.
I personally would put my priority on earning high wages ahead of all else in the early stages of investing. You can always find extra time for RE if you really want to.
indeed .. make some decent money first .. then find the time too .. related posts here ..

5 ways to make money http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-3347-5_ways_to_make_money.html

How to get started http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-4391-How_to_get_started_.html

klewlis

Registered
Are you a Canadian citizen? Have you considered Canada Customs? They are doing a lot of hiring nowadays, pay well (much better than security guard!) and are very secure. It takes months to get in, but might be worthwhile (I started the process in 2008 but the timing was just wrong for me so I withdrew my application).

albainstar

Registered
i dont think he wants to be a security guard but a securities broker

If its what you want then you should pursue it but keep in mind it will be hard for you to get clients. You need to have a good nest egg first
Most people start by selling to their natural market - ie friends and family -
you should start by finding someone in a place that needs workers, and find someone who is close to retirement. You can be his assistant. He shows you the ropes and you get to slowly take over his business. Most brokers that do that make a graduating split
say year one he gets 90% of the commission and you get 10
as you get batter and can bring in your own business the split gets higher and higher in your favor

Lermy

REIN Member
QUOTE (albainstar @ Jan 22 2009, 11:23 AM) i dont think he wants to be a security guard but a securities broker

QUOTE I`ve also spent 2.5 years in the U.S. Infantry (including 7 months in Iraq) and lots of security related training. Although I hate the weird hours (nights and weekends), it seems like being a security guard would be an ideal job for me. Aside from the patrols I might need to do, I could literally work on RE while sitting at my desk at work and my resume is STACKED for this line of work.

Pretty clear he is referring to Security Guard...

billf

Registered
Hi

If I was looking for a job now, I would steer clear of the financial industry. It is in a absolute depression right know, I have friends that have been employed by the same banks/brokerages for over 10 years that are getting laid off, and they have financial degrees/diplomas. I am not saying that it won`t happen but I think you will be banging your head against the wall right now. Good Luck regardless.

BillF.

AndyLuchies

Registered
QUOTE (klewlis @ Jan 22 2009, 12:40 PM) Are you a Canadian citizen? Have you considered Canada Customs? They are doing a lot of hiring nowadays, pay well (much better than security guard!) and are very secure. It takes months to get in, but might be worthwhile (I started the process in 2008 but the timing was just wrong for me so I withdrew my application).

interesting... do you know how well they pay? (I guess a gov. position can`t be too bad).

AndyLuchies

Registered
QUOTE (billf @ Jan 22 2009, 08:37 PM) Hi

If I was looking for a job now, I would steer clear of the financial industry. It is in a absolute depression right know, I have friends that have been employed by the same banks/brokerages for over 10 years that are getting laid off, and they have financial degrees/diplomas. I am not saying that it won`t happen but I think you will be banging your head against the wall right now. Good Luck regardless.

BillF.

Excellent point Bill, thank you very much; I will take that into account.

klewlis

Registered
QUOTE (jessandy @ Jan 22 2009, 07:57 PM) interesting... do you know how well they pay? (I guess a gov. position can`t be too bad).

Base pay is around 52k or something like that, plus bonuses and differentials. One guy I talked to said you`d have to basically not show up at work to get just the base pay, and that it actually works out to a lot more.

Getting in is a bit of a process. You send in your resume online and then if they like it you go write a 4 hour aptitude exam. If you score well on the exam you get an interview. If you get through the entire process and they hire you, then you go to Quebec for 9 weeks of training (during which time you can still be kicked out). But apparently it is worthwhile; the people I`ve talked to love their jobs.

bizaro86

Registered
My brother does that, and the pay is quite good all things considered. The overtime/shift differntials are where the real money comes in though. Again, be prepared to work long hours and shifts, but the pay would be better than a security guard. Not sure if they`re hiring, but I know that you need a good security clearance. They actually called all his family, neighbours, previous employers, banker, etc, as well as doing a criminal record check, etc.

QUOTE (klewlis @ Jan 22 2009, 08:56 PM) Base pay is around 52k or something like that, plus bonuses and differentials. One guy I talked to said you`d have to basically not show up at work to get just the base pay, and that it actually works out to a lot more.

Getting in is a bit of a process. You send in your resume online and then if they like it you go write a 4 hour aptitude exam. If you score well on the exam you get an interview. If you get through the entire process and they hire you, then you go to Quebec for 9 weeks of training (during which time you can still be kicked out). But apparently it is worthwhile; the people I`ve talked to love their jobs.

AndyLuchies

Registered
thanks alot guys, i`ll check it out.

ps. does anyone know if i can choose where to work?

QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Feb 27 2009, 03:06 PM) My brother does that, and the pay is quite good all things considered. The overtime/shift differntials are where the real money comes in though. Again, be prepared to work long hours and shifts, but the pay would be better than a security guard. Not sure if they`re hiring, but I know that you need a good security clearance. They actually called all his family, neighbours, previous employers, banker, etc, as well as doing a criminal record check, etc.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (jessandy @ Feb 28 2009, 12:27 PM)

Last time I checked in Canada you were free to chose where to work .. and if a company assigns your work location you can chose to accept it or you can chose to leave .. being mindful that in the current economy some flexibility is expected as opposed to "my way or the high way" ..

Did you read these 2 posts here ?

5 ways to make money http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-3347-5_ways_to_make_money.html

How to get started http://myreinspace.com/public_forums/General_Discussion/61-4391-How_to_get_started_.html

smmcguire

Registered
QUOTE (jessandy @ Feb 28 2009, 02:27 PM)
thanks alot guys, i'll check it out.

I'II ask my wife,she might be able to shed some light on it. Give me 15 min. to find her.

smmcguire

Registered
she says you can expect most anything. They will have positions in areas but its up to you to accept. All the info you need is on ca. gov`t web site I think its public service canada. Just a note, The pay is really good and its a great spring board for investing. All the banks loan to fed. gov`t employees. Even if you started only 10 minutes ago. My wife started in dec. and got a loan for a 350 k house with only her job offer letter in hand.

Top Bottom