Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Poor Lino Install

sheldon

Registered
We had a reputable local flooring company install lino in one of our kitchens. My wife called me as soon as she seen the work and was not happy, the flooring was laid crooked (the pattern looks like it runs to the left). I called the company right away and told them we were not happy with the job. He said the home was older and the walls were out a bit. My carpenter said the walls were not out that much and they could have done a way better job.

Right now I need to find out what my options are?

Do I have to pay for the work?

Will this affect my credit rating if I hold out?

At the very least, I don`t think I should have to pay full value for something that is out this much.

Thank you,

Sheldon

dplummer

Registered
Document everything. Date & time you called the flooring store, conversation,names ,what the flooring store said they would do, if anything, take photo`s. Give the flooring company opportunity to view the installation. A quality company will look after you. As far as to the other questions I don`t know. Have all your info ready should the deal head south & they take you to small claims.

Doug

housedoc

Registered
If you`re that picky, then have someone there during the work.
You may be able to negotiate a lower price or repair if the workmanship is clearly substandard, not just because your wife doesn`t like the lines. Take pictures. Document everything.
Additional work to remove/repair will cost someone.
It`s a rental, not the Taj Mahal.

brad

REIN Member
QUOTE (housedoc @ Sep 14 2009, 09:29 AM) If you`re that picky, then have someone there during the work.
You may be able to negotiate a lower price or repair if the workmanship is clearly substandard, not just because your wife doesn`t like the lines. Take pictures. Document everything.
Additional work to remove/repair will cost someone.
It`s a rental, not the Taj Mahal.

"It is a rental, not the Taj Mahal" are you kidding me???????????????? If you want to attract reputable, respectable, long term tenants you are going to have to change how you think.

If you aren`t happy with the install then get them back and come to a resolution. If they won`t fix their work then legal action (if you choose that route) is an option, but that is time consuming. It may be best to hire someone ELSE to do the job. Bite the bullet, get it fixed and move on.

Just my 2 cents.

Brad

kboughen

REIN Member
QUOTE (sheldon @ Sep 13 2009, 11:31 PM) Will this affect my credit rating if I hold out?
Hi Sheldon,

If the dispute gets to the point where a "collection" is registered against you, it will hurt your credit score. It would be far better is you could reach a mutual agreement.

jseib

Registered
It`s really hard to give out advice over a forum because we cant see how obvious the problem is or if as an above poster said your just nitpicking

I would suggest taking photos and a statement from your contractor about how much the walls are "out"... Maybe go to another flooring store and ask them what their thoughts are... Just say you have a room where the walls are out X" and if that would be a problem for installation.. Read your contract/purchase agreement and see if their are any clauses or policies for this problem.. Usually when you use a stores installer the store is responsible for the job, which is pretty much the only reason to ever use a stores installer..

Once you have everything I would go to the store, show them what you have and tell them firmly but without shouting that it needs to be fixed... If necessary offer to pay for all or part of the replacement material if they will do the labor.. If thats not something you want to do or they will go for then file a suit at your local small claims court office and give it to them at the same time as the payment.. It costs them $50 to file a defense and takes a fair bit of their time so maybe they will be more reasonable then.. If not at least you started the process to getting your money back, without hurting your credit..

Once again this is only if the problem is extremely obvious if its just a slight mismatch Id just pay it and never use them again because you won`t be able to convince a judge that because line A is just slightly off lining up with line B that you should get all your money + court costs back..

ibuildstuff

Registered
I would be willing to bet that you have more than one wall out of square...so the installer had to make a choice. If you were not there with him to assist in this decision, i`m afraid you will have to live with the result. If it is not a huge, glaringly obvious outage let it go, pay the bill and realize that older homes come with these defects. Something similar to this will come up with every reno project you undertake, get used to it.

larysa002

Registered
QUOTE (ibuildstuff @ Oct 26 2009, 09:31 AM) I would be willing to bet that you have more than one wall out of square...so the installer had to make a choice. If you were not there with him to assist in this decision, i`m afraid you will have to live with the result. If it is not a huge, glaringly obvious outage let it go, pay the bill and realize that older homes come with these defects. Something similar to this will come up with every reno project you undertake, get used to it.

Just my 2 cents:
Use staggered or diamond pattern that are more forgiving. Some tiles (more expensive though) come in different sizes so you can make it look random. Uneven surface tiles are even more forgiving. That`s what we`ve learned when renovating our old house. There are still recomendations from Mike Holmes like parallel is more important than square, etc.

Top Bottom