Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Prevent illegal dumping of garbage on private property

staneja

Registered
Hi

I have a multi unit residential property in Hamilton that has its own garbage bin, emptied regularly by a private company (Waste Management). For the last couple of months someone (who doesn't live in this property) has been dumping garbage in this bin, resulting in it filling up more frequently than normal. And once it fills up, this person starts dumping garbage on the side.

Any ideas on how to prevent this? The bin is in the surface parking lot of the building which is basically accessible to everyone. I was thinking of signs that say "no dumping allowed" and even surveillance cameras, but not sure if they will help. This person obviously knows that it is illegal to dump garbage in someone else's property and doesn't care.

Thanks

RedlineBrett

Registered
You have to catch them in the act... either with cameras or when they do it. Ideally they pull up in a vehicle and you can get a shot of the license plate.

You need to weigh the cost of extra dumps vs. the cost of trying to catch someone and decide which pain you prefer!

MichaelLegall

Registered
Look through the trash and find letters, bills or anything that might give you a clue as to "who" they are then proceed with a "cease and desist" type letter threatening legal action..

I've managed to catch people doing things they shouldn't on my rental property over the years and simply told them to "stop and leave" and thus far they've listened..

housingrental

Registered
If cost effective go with camera's and no signs

Once you have license plate asks for costs and damages

You might not get, or get anything easily, but might stop issue

If not / cannot get info add signs about video to discourage

jasonpeters

Registered
First put up a sign board, if the person doesn't care then catch them in the act. If you can, put up cameras and get a shot of his number plate.

Top Bottom