Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

problem tenant (s)

Ian

Registered
Hello All
We are looking for some advice on some recent info re one of our townhouse units in Edmonton. It was brought to our attention by the condo board that our tenant has been living in our unit with 1 dog and two cats. Pets were never approved by us and certainly have not been registered with the condo board. The other day the dog bit a neighbor. Apparently the cats are also constantly in and out of the garbage cans. We were also told that a neighbour claims that she sees "up to ten different people coming and going on a regular basis" and figures that all these people are living in the unit. We have zero faith and trust in our property manager and thus don`t want to have them pursue this issue. Last, it also appears that the initial tenant is behind in their rent.
Has anyone dealt with such an issue? Any idea would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Ian

DaveRhydderch

Registered
QUOTE (Ian @ Apr 23 2008, 09:33 AM) Hello All
We are looking for some advice on some recent info re one of our townhouse units in Edmonton. It was brought to our attention by the condo board that our tenant has been living in our unit with 1 dog and two cats. Pets were never approved by us and certainly have not been registered with the condo board. The other day the dog bit a neighbor. Apparently the cats are also constantly in and out of the garbage cans. We were also told that a neighbour claims that she sees "up to ten different people coming and going on a regular basis" and figures that all these people are living in the unit. We have zero faith and trust in our property manager and thus don`t want to have them pursue this issue. Last, it also appears that the initial tenant is behind in their rent.
Thanks.

Ian

I would be cutting my loses. Quickly.

If you`re using Rein leases, then it states pets are not allowed and are a violation of the lease. It also states if rent is not received in full on the first, then by the 3rd an eviction notice is given.

I would be issuing an eviction notice and moving on quickly. I wouldn`t even worry about the money due from rent, just get them out and get better tenants in there.

Ian

Registered
Thanks Rebecca. I wasn't able to open the link. Is the link to an eviction note by you? If so, I will try to search for it myself.

Thanks again.

Ian

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (Ian @ Apr 23 2008, 08:33 AM) Hello All
Thanks.

Ian

What does the property manager say to this ? Go to them first.

Consider canceling their contract immediately if necessary !

Evict the tenant if the lease is not paid on time. Evict them if they have pets that are not allowed. Consider hiring a professional eviction firm.

Consider hiring a new property manager.

GarthChapman

Registered
This is one time when patience is NOT a virtue. Act as Thoimas and Rebecca advise, and quickly. Things situations just get worse with time.

R

RussellWestcott

Howdy Ian this does sound like a situation, and listen to everyones advice that they have given you above. If I could add my $.02 to your situation, is to emotionally separate yourself from the situation (as best you can, as you are most likely a very passionate Real Estate Investor). Remember treat this like a business, take a big deep breath then dive in a take control of the situation as the CEO of your Real Estate business.

First have a conversation with the Property Manager, and do not let them off the phone until you have a VERY clear plan of action, and who is going to do what. If you do not get any resolution or satisfaction from talking to your Property Manager, you will need to step up and take over. If your manager is not going to do anything I would suggest you contact a professional service (Bailiff Service) to help you straighten the situation out. There are many great Bailiff services recommended in the resource directory Click here to go there

Plus I have used Bison Bailiff Services in the past and have been happy with the results.

I`ll finish with a bit of managing your expectations, this situation will not go away as quickly as you like, and will cost you some money to clean up, but if you take swift actions you can start to mitigate the damages. Then quickly move forward to find an equity building tenant... who knows you may be even able to turn the current tenant around
style_emoticons

RebeccaBryan

Registered
QUOTE (Ian @ Apr 23 2008, 09:41 PM) Thanks Rebecca. I wasn`t able to open the link. Is the link to an eviction note by you? If so, I will try to search for it myself.
Thanks again.

Ian

Just type "evict" in the quick search window and the thread will show up.

Ian

Registered
QUOTE (RussellWestcott @ Apr 24 2008, 09:07 AM) Howdy Ian this does sound like a situation, and listen to everyones advice that they have given you above. If I could add my $.02 to your situation, is to emotionally separate yourself from the situation (as best you can, as you are most likely a very passionate Real Estate Investor). Remember treat this like a business, take a big deep breath then dive in a take control of the situation as the CEO of your Real Estate business.

First have a conversation with the Property Manager, and do not let them off the phone until you have a VERY clear plan of action, and who is going to do what. If you do not get any resolution or satisfaction from talking to your Property Manager, you will need to step up and take over. If your manager is not going to do anything I would suggest you contact a professional service (Bailiff Service) to help you straighten the situation out. There are many great Bailiff services recommended in the resource directory Click here to go there

Plus I have used Bison Bailiff Services in the past and have been happy with the results.

I`ll finish with a bit of managing your expectations, this situation will not go away as quickly as you like, and will cost you some money to clean up, but if you take swift actions you can start to mitigate the damages. Then quickly move forward to find an equity building tenant... who knows you may be even able to turn the current tenant around
style_emoticons

Thanks Russell!

Ian Dunsmuir

Top Bottom