Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Property in Phoneix

marilyn

Registered
My husband wants to buy a condo in Phoenix. Does anyone know a good realtor in that area?
I`m a newbie to investing. Any opinions on timing in the market down there - property is likely to drop further the US over the next 12-18 months, but does anyone have an opinion of Phoenix?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (marilyn @ Feb 8 2009, 07:03 AM) My husband wants to buy a condo in Phoenix. Does anyone know a good realtor in that area?
I`m a newbie to investing. Any opinions on timing in the market down there - property is likely to drop further the US over the next 12-18 months, but does anyone have an opinion of Phoenix?

I used to own a condo there .. in Scottsdale, AZ .. all went reasonably well for 3 years until 9/11 .. and then all hell broke loose .. and in my 12+ year investment career this condo was the ONLY condo / project where I ever lost (my own) money on !

We also own a large 300+ unit project 1/2 h north of Dallas in Denton, TX ( www.theparksofdenton.com ). This project was bought for low 40`s/door in fall 2007 and is doing OK .. but not WOW .. worse than our W-Canadian much higher priced assets !

are you looking for a 2nd home .. or an investment property ?

issues to consider:

1) harder to get a mortgage for Canadians .. likely 70% LTV max.

2) needs to managed impeccably .. who does this for one condo or house ?

3) US taxes have to be paid on income and capital gain

4) US currency could go against you .. so property goes up 30%, you pay US taxes on the gain, and $s come back with a stronger Can $ wiping put your gain

5) some heavily marketed projects are overpriced

6) Most sunbelt cities have some very nice and some very ugly areas - so do your research .. 5 trips minimum once you`ve decided on ONE city

7) they have termites, so ensure the building is concrete or brick

8) even one flight / year + US tax filings will eat away your measly annual cash-flow, so this is entirely a capital appreciation play

9) very high vacancies in summer

10) iffy economy .. poor now .. but will improve

11) many unfinished sub-urbs or condo projects .. so you may be stuck with this unfinished state for 2-3 years .. tough to rent there ..

12) left leaning government

13) high deficit for years, thus likely currency erosion

14) high property taxes, possibly even higher for non-residents .. check local by-laws and state laws !

15) some condo projects are 60%+ vacant and in foreclosure .. thus condo fees are very high for the remaining residents as much of the condo fees are unpaid !

16) some sub-divisions are 90%+ unsold .. hard to re-sell a home there .. and also tough to rent if rest of subdivision is all dirt

MY Conclusion: The ONLY reason to buy in the US (as opposed to in W-Canada) is either:

A) for a personal 2nd home because you wish to spend 3-5 months there as the grass is indeed greener than in Canada in the winter .. and the pools are ice-free .. so a nice 2nd home environment for us snow-birds .. .. but the green grass also is unplayable for 4 months .. @ +45 during the day and +32 @ night .. or

B) it is a larger complex in a growing city well managed, or

C) you have to go to a certain city anyway (maybe because your mother retired there) and as such you have time to look around and find some deals in ESTABLISHED neighborhoods that can be well managed by a 3rd party (not you !!)

gfranco

Registered
QUOTE (marilyn @ Feb 8 2009, 08:03 AM) My husband wants to buy a condo in Phoenix. Does anyone know a good realtor in that area?

If you`re going to buy in the desert, buy in Las Vegas. It has way more going for it than Phoenix and is poised to come back sooner than any other market in the US. I bought a property there last year and have it rented through a management company - giving me positive cash flow. Also, Nevada has no state or estate taxes.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (gfranco @ Feb 24 2009, 12:22 PM) If you`re going to buy in the desert, buy in Las Vegas. It has way more going for it than Phoenix and is poised to come back sooner than any other market in the US. I bought a property there last year and have it rented through a management company - giving me positive cash flow. Also, Nevada has no state or estate taxes.
an opinion ..

LV is much higher risk .. as it is a one industry town .. Phoenix is more diversified .. but both have their pro`s and con`s !

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Feb 24 2009, 06:58 PM) an opinion ..

LV is much higher risk .. as it is a one industry town .. Phoenix is more diversified .. but both have their pro`s and con`s !

What about Tucson?....
I`ll be there in late March.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Feb 25 2009, 08:02 AM) What about Tucson?....
I`ll be there in late March.
what about Hawaii ? What about Florida ? What about Georgia ?

many many many nice areas in the US .. it is a big place ! Some are great for retirement or semi-retirement .. and some better for investments .. so it depends what you are looking for ! Oceanview sucks in Arizona .. but great fall/winter/spring golfing .. no salt in the air thus no rust on cars or homes .. which is a factor near the coast for example near beaches !

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Feb 25 2009, 08:31 AM) what about Hawaii ? What about Florida ? What about Georgia ?
Oceanview sucks in Arizona .. but great fall/winter/spring golfing ..

THanks for the tip on oceanview...
Don`t golf, I do cycle and none of this around the neighbourhood on a nice day,
hard core and Tucson is a favourite spot to train, first time for me!

KLEVR

REIN Member
I would like to answer the original question if i could:

I do know a good realtor in the Phoenix/Scottsdale Area- her name is Emily Strunk , she is an investor in the area, and does an excellent job.
her contact number is : 602-697-3747

GOod Luck!!

DanSampson

REIN Member
Hi Marilyn, why does your husband want to buy in Phoenix? Where do YOU want to buy? What is your plan for the property? Are you going to spend 60 nights per year in it? Are you going to use it for 2 weeks and speculate that the market is going up?

We were looking around Phoenix in the fall. Phoenix is a huge place, and yes, its on sale, but remember, so is the Four Seasons and you can stay there or at the new "W" for $400.00 per night and when you leave someone else worries about the next "tenant", the next enslaught of termites and 45c 4 months of the year.

Cheers,

Dan

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (DanSampson @ Feb 26 2009, 02:57 PM) We were looking around Phoenix in the fall. Phoenix is a huge place, and yes, its on sale, but remember, so is the Four Seasons and you can stay there or at the new "W" for $400.00 per night and when you leave someone else worries about the next "tenant", the next enslaught of termites and 45c 4 months of the year.
Well said .. why buy if you can rent !!

Top Bottom