Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Property Management in Ontario

dlynes

Registered
Everyone seems to be describing property management as a nightmare in Ontario. However, I`d like to cut through all the hype and find out exactly what reasons I can use to evict an undesirable tenant.

What are the legal reasons I can use to evict a tenant from an income producing property (i.e. a property where I cannot say I`m moving in for the reason to evict the tenant)?

Thank you for your input.

orei

Registered
check out this site:
http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/STEL02_111286.html

I just successfully evicted using the N7 - 10 day eviction for willful damage to property. I really hope for your sake that this does not fit your situation. It is quite unpleasant. However, the judge at the hearing was very responsive to my case a ruled very fairly.

Good luck!

Ready4Rent

Registered
Hard, yes. Nightmare, depends on who you speak to, I was at court today in and out in under 2.5 hrs.

I have found from easiest to hardest.

1. 60 Days Notice (purchasers/owners own use).

2. Non-Payment of rent.

3. Damages. (depending on amount)

4. Pay them off. (Word gets out quick not recommended at all!!!)

Never had to go through with an illegal act as a little pressure and they will go. But I suspect that it would be very difficult with-out loads of proof.

In short the law gives tenants every shot, every chance, every slim bit of hope to hold onto their homes. Know the procedures, follow through, and have a massive paper-trail. Even for the best tenants, because tomorrow they lose their jobs or whatever happens and become the worst.

Treat your tenants with honesty and respect at all times, but be honest and tell them how it works. I will take you to court, and you will be responsible for the costs, and I will take you to small claims afterwards if necessary.

John

dlynes

Registered
No, it doesn`t fit my situation. However, your link gives me a whole slew of other reasons to evict the tenant, many of which are applicable. I`m looking to purchase apartment buildings and do significant renovations to the units and the building in general, but I am wanting to have at least one vacant unit at a time while I do it.

Thank you.

QUOTE (orei @ Apr 29 2009, 10:53 PM) check out this site:
http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/STEL02_111286.html

I just successfully evicted using the N7 - 10 day eviction for willful damage to property. I really hope for your sake that this does not fit your situation. It is quite unpleasant. However, the judge at the hearing was very responsive to my case a ruled very fairly.

Good luck!

terri

Registered
QUOTE (dlynes @ Apr 29 2009, 08:06 PM) No, it doesn`t fit my situation. However, your link gives me a whole slew of other reasons to evict the tenant, many of which are applicable. I`m looking to purchase apartment buildings and do significant renovations to the units and the building in general, but I am wanting to have at least one vacant unit at a time while I do it.

Thank you.

keep in mind that if you remove them to renovate, they have first right of refusal to move back in once the renovation is complete. I believe, but don`t quote me on this double check for yourself, but with a larger multiunit you are required to provide them with alternate living arrangements or compensation during the time that you are renovating their suite.

dlynes

Registered
Does that mean that they are entitled to move back in at their original rental rate? If so, I don`t have a problem with that. It`s not the tenant I have a problem with...it`s the income of the building; I`m just trying to think of ways to increase the income of the property and at the same time attract a better class of tenants.

QUOTE (terri @ Apr 30 2009, 08:05 AM) keep in mind that if you remove them to renovate, they have first right of refusal to move back in once the renovation is complete. I believe, but don`t quote me on this double check for yourself, but with a larger multiunit you are required to provide them with alternate living arrangements or compensation during the time that you are renovating their suite.

InvestagainInc

Registered
QUOTE (dlynes @ Apr 30 2009, 10:00 AM) Does that mean that they are entitled to move back in at their original rental rate? If so, I don`t have a problem with that. It`s not the tenant I have a problem with...it`s the income of the building; I`m just trying to think of ways to increase the income of the property and at the same time attract a better class of tenants.

You can raise the rate, and they have first right of refusal since you have made signifigant upgrades to the property. There is an entire section on this in the RTA. Check here. as I believe that it is in this section. http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/...6r17_e.htm#BK78

Are you using a PM in Ontario? when you said that PM is a nightmare in Ontario did you mean the companies or just the regulations?

dlynes

Registered
QUOTE (InvestagainInc @ May 4 2009, 09:52 AM) You can raise the rate, and they have first right of refusal since you have made signifigant upgrades to the property. There is an entire section on this in the RTA. Check here. as I believe that it is in this section. Are you using a PM in Ontario? when you said that PM is a nightmare in Ontario did you mean the companies or just the regulations?

We`re not using a PM yet, however when we do find property that matches our requirements, we will be. I`ve just heard the actual management/landlording is a nightmare because the regulations are extremely tenant friendly.

I was actually referred to you by a property management company that was at the REIN/ACRE weekend in Brampton. We just haven`t called yet, because our plate`s been full with different events we`ve signed up for over the last couple of months. We should be able to give you a call sometime after the 11th, however.

InvestagainInc

Registered
QUOTE (dlynes @ May 4 2009, 10:15 AM) Thanks for the link, but it`s not coming up. They`ve moved stuff around, by the looks of it. Btw, what`s the `RTA`? I`m guessing it`s something or other Tenancy Act?

We`re not using a PM yet, however when we do find property that matches our requirements, we will be. I`ve just heard the actual management/landlording is a nightmare because the regulations are extremely tenant friendly.

I was actually referred to you by a property management company that was at the REIN/ACRE weekend in Brampton. We just haven`t called yet, because our plate`s been full with different events we`ve signed up for over the last couple of months. We should be able to give you a call sometime after the 11th, however.

Sounds good. Please send me an email with your contact information and I will forward a meeting request to discuss your requirements [email protected] . Also, where are you looking? We might be able to assist in finding a property also through our network. RTA is Residential Tenant Act. I was looking under the termination section, I know taht I have read it so if I find exactly where it is I will let you know.

I look forward to our call.

TomRebstock

Registered
I believe what people are saying is that provincial rules in places like Alberta are "landlord friendly" and that in Ontario the rules generally restrict landlords and support tenants.

While this maybe quite accurate regardless of where you invest (manage) you still have to know the local applicable provincial rules and follow them.

There are literally thousands of investors who do quite well in Ontario.

QUOTE (dlynes @ Apr 29 2009, 07:12 PM) Everyone seems to be describing property management as a nightmare in Ontario. However, I`d like to cut through all the hype and find out exactly what reasons I can use to evict an undesirable tenant.

What are the legal reasons I can use to evict a tenant from an income producing property (i.e. a property where I cannot say I`m moving in for the reason to evict the tenant)?

Thank you for your input.

housingrental

Registered
Tom has a good post.
A good way to look at it is the laws aren`t just, and weighted against you. Be thorough from the start of your investment and make your life a lot easier.

Top Bottom