Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pros and cons of buying real estate in a trust

SPeever

Registered
Hello All:

I am interested in hearing your opinions on buying real estate in trusts. For example, what are the pros and cons of buying in trust for a corporation, for example. I understand that there are more disadvantages associated with buying in a corporation but less if it is in trust for a corporation. If so, who sets up a trust and how worthwhile is it to do this?

Thank you.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Trust have an expiry date in Canada, after 20 years. It is also harder to get a mortgage, and you will have to personally guarantee it, negating the benefit of limited liability of a trust. It will also cost annual accounting and filing fees, thus it makes sense only for larger assets (say $1M plus). A capable lawyer can set it up. Main benefit is the change of beneficiaries, i.e. separation of beneficial and legal ownership.

SPeever

Registered
Hello Thomas:

Thank you very much for this information. Why do people buy properties in trusts if the liability is still existing? Are there major advantages?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Buying in a trust is not common in Canada. Reread my post as I listed the major advantage, namely the ability to change beneficiaries. It may also be beneficial for a minor, say on inheritance !

Top Bottom