Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Prospective Tenant has a Pet Lizard

matthewrlee

Registered
Hello everyone,

I have a fourplex in downtown Toronto, and one of the apartments is becoming available, so I'm vetting prospective tenants now.

One otherwise excellent tenant (a Medical Resident) wants one of the fully-furnished executive rental apartments, which I have advertised at a very premium rate. I do not allow pets, but she wrote to me:

"
I have a lizard. Although you do not allow pets, he lives in a terrarium and does not shed/bark/leave a mess/etc."

Do you feel like it would be wise to consider her? I do not allow pets because of damage, noise, allergies, etc., especially given that there are 4 units in the house (all are professional clientle tenants). I'm also somewhat concerned about ability to re-rent out the apartment -- when I have to do showings in the future, there's going to be a lizard there. Not too much of an issue with the lower-grade tenants, but I'm aiming for premium cliente - executives, professionals, doctors, etc.

Your advice is appreciated.

Matthew

invst4profit

Registered
If she is your only chance of finding a renter you may have no choice however if you have options there is no point in having rules if you are going to question them every time a applicant does not qualify.

No pets means no pets otherwise you should qualify your rules and state some pets allowed. This boils down to whether you value your rules it is not about the lizard.

dsmandato

REIN Member
As Greg says, it all depends on how strong you feel about no pets. I kind of sway toward allowing pets during a tougher time of renting suites. We usually ask for an additional $25 to $50 per month for any pet under 10 pounds. People love their pets and its amazing how many people are ok with the additional charge.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Hmm...you are concerned about the opinions of premium tenants such as doctors, and it is a medical resident (aka future doctor?) that has a lizard. Perhaps I don't understand the question. ;)

A lizard in a proper terrarium is basically a living still-life sculpture. I would think that any intelligent prospective tenant would not have an issue with it when viewing the suite.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Well said, Sherilynn. Lizards in a cage are low risk and have almost no impact on neighbors nor damage property. Have a pet contract, perhaps asking for an additional $20-$40/month and/or additional pet deposit.

invst4profit

Registered
Regretably it is not permitted under the ontario residential tenancy act to charge tenants pet fees (any fees actually) other than LMR.

DavidHoot

Registered
A gekko might not be so bad. Just thinking about fish aquariums now, since if there was ever a leak or accident and one of those 55 gallon tanks went over, the water could do some serious damage to the people living below.

David

www.HootInvest.com

Top Bottom