Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Question re: serving of eviction notice

moparcanuck

Registered
Hey all,

Never had to worry about this one before, BUUUUUUT:

I have a tenant who rents a mobile home site, and is no longer living there. The place is uninhabitted at the moment. No September rent yet, so going to be sending him a 14 day eviction notice. I do intend to post the notice on his door, but since noone is living there, I`m also going to send via registered mail. Now, the question is: Does the 14 (more like 16) day notice start counting the day I mail it or the day he gets it? (I have no idea how quickly he would pick up his mail).

Thanks

invst4profit

Registered
In Ontario, as indicated on the eviction notice, if sent by mail you add 5 days to the period of notice.
I would expect that your notices should spell out the process and time lines or you can call your local Landlord Tenant Board office. The info should also be on the board web site.

If you have any idea where the individual is now living presenting the notice in person may be best. If rent is not an issue the board may have a form that landlord and tenant can sign agreeing to terminate the rental agreement. This is much easier and less time consuming than a actual eviction and less expensive.

brentdavies

Registered
In Alberta, you have 2 methods of serving the notice. By registered mail, or in person. We use the in person notice, and if no one is home, then the notice is taped to the door.

Sounds like the tenant may have skipped and is no longer residing. If the mailbox is full, the power is turned off, or yard is empty, then the tenant may have skipped. If this is the case, you may enter the premise to inspect with out notice and if the tenant has in fact skipped ( if personal belongings are gone) then change the locks and move forward.

bizaro86

Registered
If he`s renting the pad site, doesn`t that mean he owns the mobile home? Aren`t they generally saleable? Could you foreclose on the trailer for unpaid rent, fix it up, and sell it off?

Michael

Top Bottom