Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Range Hoods

InvestagainInc

Registered
Hi,

Do you know if the building code requires range hoods over a stove? I have see a lot of houses without them and my most recent purchases don`t have them so I am trying to figure out if I should worry about putting them in or not.

Thanks,
Scott

housingrental

Registered
Hi Scott

My limited... very limited... understanding is they are required by building code...my also minimal understanding is that you generally aren`t required to add in a range hood over a stove if it doesn`t currently have one in an older property... however if your planning on a change of use (ie from single family to multi-unit) your development services might require this.. I have never had inspectors ask for this to be done in properties that don`t have it.... however I have been required to do this when changing over an unlicensed house to a licensed lodging house when the city looked at the building plans I had as they require certain items to be brought up to new code.

Even if its not required you might want to add this in with proper venting for it as moisture can cause a lot of problems in rentals.. and if reselling as a single family house in most cases purchases do demand a fan in the kitchen...

You might want to phone your cities building department and see if they can advise if no one else responds to this post...

InvestagainInc

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 9 2009, 09:06 PM) Hi Scott

My limited... very limited... understanding is they are required by building code...my also minimal understanding is that you generally aren`t required to add in a range hood over a stove if it doesn`t currently have one in an older property... however if your planning on a change of use (ie from single family to multi-unit) your development services might require this.. I have never had inspectors ask for this to be done in properties that don`t have it.... however I have been required to do this when changing over an unlicensed house to a licensed lodging house when the city looked at the building plans I had as they require certain items to be brought up to new code.

Even if its not required you might want to add this in with proper venting for it as moisture can cause a lot of problems in rentals.. and if reselling as a single family house in most cases purchases do demand a fan in the kitchen...

You might want to phone your cities building department and see if they can advise if no one else responds to this post...

Thanks Adam. I think we are going to put them in anyway as it does help with air circulation, its just a really tough challenge as we can`t put electrical into the wall since they are concrete all the way up. We will have to run a new wire all the way up the exterior of the wall for this, doesn`t look as nice but it will work.

Top Bottom