Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rear Yard Catchbasin

mkupina

Registered
I am currently considering picking a lot to build my new home. I have narrowed my choices down to two.
#1: Open backyard view through all lots behind, but there is a pipe running underground along the side of the house to the rear back yard catchbasin (provides rainwater drainage for surrounding houses)

#2: Situated beside option#1 lot, it is beside a corner lot and has more of a closed obstructed backyard view.

We like Option #1 but are concerned with the Catchbasin and if it will effect the resale of the home in the future and problems that might arise. In the legal documents it also states that the owner is responsible for the operation and maintenance of this basin.

Should this be a concern? Has anyone had any issues with Rear Yard catchbasins?

I would appreciate your feedback...thanks!!

Mark

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Howdy,

The first thing I would do is to have my lawyer review the documents to see what your real obligation is to the maintenance of this catch basin, how it was designed, how often the waters flood and collect there etc.

It is nice to have the extra space, however if it stays unuseable and in fact expensive to maintain then it would be much more of a deterrent (if for nothing else the safety of the children) and also ask your lawyer if you being responsible for the maintenance does that also make you liable for any issues that arise from it.

StevenRoorda

Registered
Rear yard catchbasins can be troublesome. Being someone who designs them, I can tell you that there are numerous problems that could occur. Costs to repair, clean or maintain could be quite high. I agree with Don here – get your lawyer to investigate what you might be responsible for. I have found that each municipality has slightly different rules when it comes to maintenance and ownership of these drainage structures.

However, a couple of thoughts: if the catchbasin is within your property, you ultimately have control and can make sure it doesn’t get blocked. If you buy the adjacent house, you are not in control; your neighbour may not clean a blockage, possibly flooding your lot.

I suggest you answer the same question I ask of each young designer I deal with: If the catchbasin is blocked (snow/ice/leaves/grass clippings/shed) where does the water go? If it could possibly drain toward the house you are purchasing, you might want to think hard about the possible consequences. You need to ask yourself this question even if you are purchasing the adjacent house, as it may be the one that is affected more.

Good luck,

Steve

Top Bottom