Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Recourse Against Unlicensed Alberta Property Manager?

bizaro86

Registered
A condo building I'm on the board of is having an issue with a property manager. He manages two units, and is consistently putting terrible tenants in them. (When you advertise "pets welcome, no damage deposit" you don't get the cream of the crop). Anyway, I've checked his name and his company name on the RECA website and neither he nor his company are licensed.

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact against the law in Alberta? Is there anything RECA can/will do about it? (Especially if he's not taking trust money, like damage deposits) What would be the most effective method for me to make a complaint?

Thanks for any advice.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Does he have any ownership in the condo's he manages or is he managing for a family member? If so he doesn't need to be licensed.

invst4profit

Registered
Why would you not go directly to the condo owner. The board/condo rules should be such that the responsibility falls back on the owner not someone they hire to do the placements.

Go to the source and apply pressure on the owners, your wasting time chasing the middle man.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=RebeccaBryan] Does he have any ownership in the condo's he manages or is he managing for a family member? If so he doesn't need to be licensed.

The registered owner's are two different people, and he's not on the title of either of them. He doesn't have the same last name as either, and is a different racial background than both. I doubt he has ownership interests or is a family member of either, but those are both possibilities. Thanks!

Michael

Jules

Registered
I agree with Greg. Go back to the Owner's with this. They are probably unaware of the type of tenants he is placing in their units. RECA won't be much help if he isn't licensed. Read over your Condo Bylaws/Rules and Regulations, they should clarify any issues.

Jules

brentdavies

Registered
The simpliest method to complain to RECA is in writing. They don't take verbal complaints. But why go to RECA?

The condo board has a lot of control, if the board and you have the guts to do it.

The board has the power to require a full month's rent as a deposit. So DO it.

If heshe does not pay, then caveat and then forclose.

The board has the power to evict tenants, without going to the owner/manager first. Use your Power.

One of the many reasons condo boards hate renters. One bad apple ruins the barrel for the rest of the good landlords.

There is lots of unlicenced "property managers", even many REIN members. I am helping a friend, etc. Even if licenced, RECA will not investigate a PM because he selects poor tenants.

Jules

Registered
Sounds like your condo corp is self-managed. If so, read the condo corp insurance to make sure the board and its members are covered with D & O insurance (Directors and Officers) before you move forward, especially if the board is not very pro-active. Generally, self-managed condo corp's try to cut costs to bare bones and sometimes this insurance is dropped or does not exist on their coverage.

Jules

RealtorDave

Registered
I agree with Brent. I sit on a condo board, and our principal problem is noise. We just start fining the units. Hit the owners where it hurts and watch what happens.

You can complain to RECA. Its a painfull process though, even moreso because he's unlicensed. If he's not accepting trust money, does he accept rent checks and then pay the owners? However, as Brent mentioned, say he goes and gets his license. Do you think he's going to become a better pm? Probably not.

I'd probably first go after the tenants and owners. Hopefully you can get your board on your side. Threatening him with action from RECA may be an idea too.

Good luck.

bizaro86

Registered
Thanks all. We're already moving forward with an eviction. However, the PM has indicated he'll just get similar tenants in again, which defeats the point. (We can keep evicting, but it's a fair bit of work)

Top Bottom