Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Reflection over the past 2 years

SusanPenner

Registered
This past rainy weekend, I started converting my written Belize into a power point presentation. This exercise made me reflect at how fast and how much things have changed for my husband and myself over the last 2 years – with significant events triggering in May of each year.

We have much to be grateful for.

We could not get to this point without support and knowledge from our fabulous mortgage broker (Ken Wilson - Calgary Flames Jersey guy) who has mentored us through – from meeting us in the coffee shop, helping my husband get through the "analysis hmm" stage, answering my questions, and introducing us to Integrity wealth where we could utilized dormant LIRA`s and RRSP`s. Yes, the Law of attraction does work, as I met him through a home show when I wasn`t at that instant looking for a broker (but I had in the back of mind that I would like an "investor" broker!)

A HUGE ENORMOUS thanks goes out to Don Campbell and the REIN team. Don, your book shifted my paradigm in May 2007. I finally feel that I`m moving forward…and I`m not
looking back! The REIN team has travelled a lot of kilometres with me since my joining in June 2007. Over the last year I`ve listened through a Quick Start, JV secrets, Multi-family gold mine and various nights of meetings when I couldn`t attend. When they are done, they are queued to the back of the pile and I start listening to them over again. They have been a treasure trove of information. Thanks also for all the forms in the member space. They have saved hours of time in the learning curve.

Thank you to all the members for sharing their knowledge on MyREINSPACE and around the table before meetings. The supportive atmosphere allows for learning and does help to overcome some of the "fear factor". Also, thank you to REMA who has sped up analysis a hundred times fold. REMA`s reports are amazing and these reports helped emensely to gain my husband`s buy in on this journey.

For those with patience to read through, below is a brief overview of our past 2 years!

• April - Sold my house of almost 5 years to the "Penner family consortium". Retained 1/3 ownership. Made
    150K.
  • May - Resigned from a company that I had been with for just over 9 years. Decided to take the summer off
  • June - Moved into the house that my fiancée and I designed and custom built. Landscaping and getting the place ready for the August big weekend was my focus
  • August – got married; it was a weekend affair with BBQ on Fri, Wedding on Sat and a stampede style breakfast on Sun
  • July to October – looked into businesses to sink my $$ into_October – disgruntled to find that any entrepreneur enterprise I researched would only make $ and working just as many hours (or more) than the last place of employment, I became an employee again to make $$$.

Jan to March – read all of Robert Kiyosaki`s books that I could get my hands on. Started questioning my present paradigm.May– Came to the conclusion that Real Estate was for me so, I bought Don`s first book and had a drastic 360 degrees paradigm shift and signed up for Quick Start in JuneJune - Attended Quick start and learned how many mistakes I made with the "family consortium" property. Joined REINJuly to October : Started putting "ducks in a row" (i.e. investment binder, looking at test properties, exit strategy to "family consortium", etc)October – trip to Winnipeg to look at properties Felt that I was being "played" by the two real estate agents. Decided to gain experience in the "home court". NOTE: (Winnipeg is cash flow properties – not equity gain properties (in my opinion). I have family there and aging parents…thought it would be nice to go back more often – and be able to write off part of the expense!)[*]Met Ken Wilson (REIN member and mortgage broker) who I will be eternally grateful for all the advice and mentorship as well as brokering me some amazing rates![*]Dec - Sold "family consortium" for list price (other properties were going for 15k less). Major learning curves came out of this property. Still came out 20k ahead (our
share)(big SIGH of relief)![*]Dec – made an offer on my 1st property which was rejected. Seller would not move from list. Chalked this up to a learning experience

• Closed first property Feb 15. Had tenant in by March 1
  • Closed second property March 31. Purchase price was 30k under original list. Had tenant committed to a April 19 possession and 1 year lease.
  • Both properties cash flow around $225/monthApril - set up Matrix with principal property as collateral. Set up a # company corporationApril- skied Whistler for a week to celebrate properties 1& 2Chess pieces in line for 5 properties this yearProperties 2, 3, 4, and 5 are/will be all OPM with us leveraging against our principal property and our jobs. #1 property would have probably been all OPM as well, but I
    didn`t read the Smith Manoeuvre until Feb.May – made an offer for 3rd property which was accepted. Purchase price was 15k under appraisal. Close date is July 18
Here`s to rising to future challenges and enjoying the journey the next few years.
Take care
Susan

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
What a wonderful journey you`ve been on. The key points I get from your story are:

1. You decided to take control of your future (instead of just have it happen to you).

2. You did your homework, checking out your options (rather than just run after the first thing that came along)

3. You surrounded yourself with people who supported your vision (and who didn`t have a hidden agenda)

4. You rode the inevitable ups and downs because your Personal Belize was so compelling it couldn`t help but pull you forward.

5. You kept the attitude of gratefulness that is CRITICAL along life`s journey.

6. You continue to pay attention to your business, making appropriate adjustments.

Every REIN Member should read your post as it is a picture of real life... and the results that focus can have. CONGRATULATIONS on achieving the first of many more levels.

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Thank you for your story. It`s so inspiring to me and helps me see what the future holds since I`m about where you were last July-October, i.e, putting ducks in a row. It`s also a good reminder to stick to the system. Thanks!

RArora

Registered
thats an awesome story Susan! congratulations! im eager to buy our 2nd investment property- but dont want to do it till I first finish reaidng/listening to all the quickstart program cds. just joined REIN starting June 08.

SusanPenner

Registered
Thanks for all the kind words!

The learning curve has been a roller coaster, but I`m proud (and amazed) at what we have accomplished so far.

Just a brief update to add to this year:
  • We took possession of our 3rd house July 18. We have tenants lined up for Aug 19.
  • Our 4th place is in the midst of going through conditions. We will take possession Sept 3
  • Our 1st tenant renewed the lease....and couldn`t contain herself when we dropped off a portable dishwasher. She`s been a great first tenant to be our "guinea pig"We plan to vacation in Hawaii in August to celebrate (oops - I booked it before I realized the Western Conference fell on those dates!)Fall - plan to start preparing a JV presentation - based on our 2008 results.
Thanks again for all the support.....see you at the Sept REIN meeting!

mlwilliamson

Registered
Hello Susan

Although I have not purchased yet. I notice the value in your well laid out plan towards the JV route. Certainly the steps you have taken I could mimick.

Cheers!

QUOTE (SusanPenner @ Aug 6 2008, 11:52 PM) Thanks for all the kind words!

The learning curve has been a roller coaster, but I`m proud (and amazed) at what we have accomplished so far.

Just a brief update to add to this year:
  • We took possession of our 3rd house July 18. We have tenants lined up for Aug 19.
  • Our 4th place is in the midst of going through conditions. We will take possession Sept 3
  • Our 1st tenant renewed the lease....and couldn`t contain herself when we dropped off a portable dishwasher. She`s been a great first tenant to be our "guinea pig"We plan to vacation in Hawaii in August to celebrate (oops - I booked it before I realized the Western Conference fell on those dates!)Fall - plan to start preparing a JV presentation - based on our 2008 results.
Thanks again for all the support.....see you at the Sept REIN meeting!

JordanRich

Registered
I joined Rein 2 days ago, and i must admit i feel a little overwelmed! I enjoyed reading your story and hope that we can meet one day. I attend the Toronto meetings. Cheers.

Top Bottom