Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Relevant books for aspiring investor?

dasilvja23

Registered
I was wondering if anybody could recommend any books that might be useful. I'm especially interested in finding books specifically about law and property tax in Canada.

Property Law

Real Estate Law

Tax Law

Mortgage Law / Process

I always assumed that there would be a book that covered each of these topics specifically but I can't seem to find one. Something a lawyer or mortgage broker might refer too. I know there are books about "Buying and Selling Real Estate" and the like but I'm looking for something that has the official written law on these topics.

Any suggestions? Or any other great books that might help me better understand the finer details of investment real estate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

matthewrlee

Registered
George Dube (REIN faculty and accountant for many REIN members, including myself) co-wrote a book with Steven Cohen (real estate lawyer) called "Legal, Tax and Accounting Strategies for the Canadian Real Estate Investor". It has a lot of the legal/tax stuff that you are looking for (and more... it also has an accountant slant to it as well, since you'll realize that they often go hand-in-hand). It's a very good start to what you're looking for.

Depending on what else you are looking for, all the REIN-affiliated books are very good...

Real Estate Investing in Canada 2.0 - the first book you should read if you are new and just getting started in real estate investing.

Real Estate Action Plan
- a good beginner resource for learning about mortgages, but a bit dated now.

Secrets of Canadian Real Estate Cycle
- I found this to be an INDISPENSABLE resource that helped me more fully understand what causes movements in the real estate market. For me, lack of understanding of what makes the real estate market go up/down was the single main reason that was holding me back from investing.

80 Lessons Learned on the Road from $80k to $80M
- Thomas Beyer's invaluable pontifications about life, business, and real estate. If you're new to REIN and myREINspace, you'll soon come across Thomas... he is like the Godfather of myREINspace (the only difference is that he doesn't require a favour in return!).

I also have many other recommendations (since I've read almost all of the REIN or REIN-affiliated books already), but depends on the areas you'd like to learn more about. Joining REIN and having full access to myREINspace is also a very worthwhile endeavour.

Bonne chance!

Top Bottom