Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rental Licensing in Hamilton – City Council Meeting September 18th

mplut

REIN Member
http://tablet.thespec.com/news/local/article/784775--rental-licensing-battle-looms?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thespec.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Farticle%2F784775--rental-licensing-battle-looms#

In an effort to `make some noise` I am preparing to call councillors/write letters in advance of the September 18th meeting. I am relatively new to investing in Hamilton but have been reading old city reports. I`m having trouble finding anything recent and I do want to do some research before I start shooting off my mouth. In my opinion this can have a HUGE impact for all Hamilton investors and am surprised to see nothing on this forum even mentioning the meeting.

Any advice from those involved with this Hamilton issue back in 2008 (I believe?) or those involved with this issue in Waterloo, London, Guelph ...? It is clear that the rental market in Hamilton have issues, but what is the best model to ensure safe housing that doesn`t penalize good landlords and tenants? I can`t see a blanket cash-grab solving the problems...

Thanks in advance.

housingrental

Registered
Contact councilors and staff as a starting point to get their thoughts

Do not alienate them, you want to be able to work with them to whatever extent possible

davidajones

Registered
I love Hamilton , most of the time....

As a Hamilton Landlord I don't want more regulations / costs. BUT, Hamilton is a bit of a wild west which is part of it's appeal!

When you look at buildings for sale the majority are in need of work ! Many of the conditions are dangerous to tenants and reflect a "slum landlord " approach to the market. Most owners are chasing cash flow and ignoring basic repairs. It would be hard to convince City Hall that Landlords are doing their best.

Very few of the multi's would pass fire-code and very few vendors will agree to this in an offer. Most buildings sell as is. Fire code is the first thing a vendor crosses off an offer. This is magnified by a fire department that is spread too thin so things that should be fixed drag on for years.

When I compare this to the high expectations that I experienced from the fire department in Waterloo with a student rental there is an opportunity for change in Hamilton and it's only a question of when . (I know, Waterloo is excessive.)

Maybe Hamilton does need a safer approach for Tenants! Actually , I would argue that Ontario needs a safer approach for tenants that is consistent.

The are two areas that Hamilton enforces really well ! First, we might not pick up your garbage, 1 bag / unit, what a joke for the family of 3 renting a 2 bedroom. And, the LTB work very hard to support many that just don't pay their rent !

mplut

REIN Member
Thanks Adam you're absolutely right. I have no plans to alienate - they are, after all, trying to improve things...I hope.

David - I will agree with you that safe housing should be a high priority - having spent several months touring countless shoddy rental properties for sale I know exactly what you are talking about. In no way am I suggesting that changes should not be made.

My concern stems from the fact that other cities have passed some drastic measures that didn't necessarily solve the problem... (yes very inconsistent across the province).

Once it's done, it's done. It behooves us to be part of the process while we have a chance???? Namely, how will any licensing fees be used to improve safety (Waterloo cash grab?), what limits will be placed on rental homes - particularly those near McMaster/ Mohawk (London put a cap at 5 students), what effect will those limits have on availability of affordable housing...financial feasability for landlords (properties with any level of quality at McMaster are currently being offered at 330-400K).

These are the questions I have...wondering what other Hamilton investors are thinking/doing. I'm a relatively new investor - especially to Hamilton - hence the post. Again I'm surprised that it's so quiet out there!

markl

Registered
I suggest everybody get out to the council meeting the Hamilton District Apartment Association (HDAA) is making a presentation at the meeting on behalf of their members. They are also calling on volunteers to help mobilize and organize action against licensing. Please be present and let's give a roar when they are done to show that there is definitely interest in working with the city and finding the right way to go after the negligent landlords and dangerous living conditions.

BTW London has gotten around the 5 student rule by only having 1 lease per household. I was at an event last night with the lawyers who help organize and represent the landlords of London.

There are 23,000 unzoned apartments in Hamilton. Something needs to be changed I agree. Let's all work together to make sure it is fair and equitable for everyone. Have your first say at the Sept 18th meeting and if you would like to be more involved contact www.hamiltonapartmentassociation.ca/

Top Bottom