Rental Market in Fort Saskatchewan, AB (Edmonton Area)

smack123

Registered
Sep 2, 2008
Nanaimo, BC
Hi everyone,

Just wondering from those of you with properties in the Edmonton area, and more specifically in and around Fort Saskatchewan, what is the rental market like these days? I own an updated 30 year old bungalow in Fort Saskatchewan, and I have a PM company looking after it for me. The current tenants are leaving in June, and I am trying to decide if I should sell or re-rent. Will I have any trouble renting given current market conditions? Are rents dropping? Suggestions? It is currently rented at $1700/month + utilities.

Thanks!

mcgregok

Registered
Sep 18, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (smack123 @ Feb 24 2009, 03:41 PM) Hi everyone,

Just wondering from those of you with properties in the Edmonton area, and more specifically in and around Fort Saskatchewan, what is the rental market like these days? I own an updated 30 year old bungalow in Fort Saskatchewan, and I have a PM company looking after it for me. The current tenants are leaving in June, and I am trying to decide if I should sell or re-rent. Will I have any trouble renting given current market conditions? Are rents dropping? Suggestions? it is currwently rented at $1700/month + utilities.

Thanks!

Test the market. Put a free ad on KIJIJI and see how many phone calls you get.

dannielsen

Registered
Sep 11, 2007
Red Deer, Alberta
I own a condo in Ft Sask, it is a 1 year old 2 bedroom, 2 bath with an underground parking stall. I just reduced the rent from 1650 to 1465 + Power. But to off set the decreased rent, I have rented the additional above parking stall for 85 a month extra.

There is still demand in the Fort for rental properties, buy they seem to want nice properties and they can be a little more picky as there is more inventory on the market.

Good Luck

Dan Nielsen

smack123

Registered
Sep 2, 2008
Nanaimo, BC
QUOTE (dannielsen @ Feb 25 2009, 01:56 PM) I own a condo in Ft Sask, it is a 1 year old 2 bedroom, 2 bath with an underground parking stall. I just reduced the rent from 1650 to 1465 + Power. But to off set the decreased rent, I have rented the additional above parking stall for 85 a month extra.

There is still demand in the Fort for rental properties, buy they seem to want nice properties and they can be a little more picky as there is more inventory on the market.

Good Luck

Dan Nielsen

Thanks Dan - any other comments or suggestions... Edmonton area in general?

If I can re-rent the house for July 1st at $1500-1600/month I`d be happy.

smack123

Registered
Sep 2, 2008
Nanaimo, BC
QUOTE (mortgageman @ Feb 27 2009, 02:34 PM) It seems 1/2 duplexes in Fort Sask are around $1500 to $1550. We have tenants who we are renegotiating with and have suggested $1600 because they have a dog.

Interesting - Thanks Jason. It seems to me that based on the 2 scenarios identified that $1700 for a nicely updated bungalow with a finished basement and a double detached garage is still a reasonable expectation.

mortgageman

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Edmonton, Alta.
Keep in mind there`s lots of turmoil for workers at Scotford Shell these days. Lots of welders, etc. have been laid off or seriously cut back on overtime, living allowance etc. My tenant is a manager and has lost a seven percent living allowance and all of his overtime. Multiply that by however many guys are working at that plant and that`s a lot of scratch coming out of the local economy.

VicChung

REIN Member
Sep 4, 2007
QUOTE (mortgageman @ Feb 27 2009, 06:16 PM) Keep in mind there`s lots of turmoil for workers at Scotford Shell these days. Lots of welders, etc. have been laid off or seriously cut back on overtime, living allowance etc. My tenant is a manager and has lost a seven percent living allowance and all of his overtime. Multiply that by however many guys are working at that plant and that`s a lot of scratch coming out of the local economy.

I am located in Calgary and it seems like tenants are re-negotiating. It would be nice if REIN would provide data or share experiences of what the rental market is like currently? I have 8 properties and have not had to rent over the last year and might have to start re-renting again.

Do the tenants really have reasons to re-negotiate?

mortgageman

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Edmonton, Alta.
In our case we were getting $1795 for the 1/2 duplex. The lease is coming up for renewal in a couple of months. The neighbours who own the other half of the duplex offered our tenants rent of $1500 for their unit. We`ve suggested we`ll reduce our rent to $1600 and pointed out there are moving costs that will consume a good part of any rent savings between that unit and ours - even if the move is only to the other side of the wall.
So, as a landlord, the choice is to suck up the reduced rent to keep good quality tenants and not suffer a vacancy or take your chances on getting a new tenant ASAP before vacancy costs eat up any extra income from that new tenant.
It`s an easy choice in my opinion.

PaulPoulsen

Registered
Sep 23, 2007
Edmonton
QUOTE (mortgageman @ Feb 27 2009, 09:06 PM) The neighbours who own the other half of the duplex offered our tenants rent of $1500 for their unit.

Wow. I would be LIVID if the neighbour undercut me like that.