Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tigran Badalyan

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi REIN Members,

I have to go through rezoning process to be able to add another unit to the property I own. As I never dealt with that before, are there any general tips or things I have to take into account? Are there any pros and cons for using 3rd party company as representative agent for rezoning process? Ideally, I would prefer to delegate that part of the job to professional and free up some time but maybe there is something I'm missing?
Property located in Campbell River, BC.

Thanks,
Tigran

Michel Lafleur

Frequent Forum Member
REIN Member
Hiring a rezoning consultant will save you a ton of time & headaches.
I dont know any in your area, but have clients working with a few firms here in Edmonton.
If its a small rezoning, you may be able to DIY things. But if you're asking for a substantial change, DEFINITELY hire consultants.

Tigran Badalyan

New Forum Member
Registered
Hiring a rezoning consultant will save you a ton of time & headaches.
I dont know any in your area, but have clients working with a few firms here in Edmonton.
If its a small rezoning, you may be able to DIY things. But if you're asking for a substantial change, DEFINITELY hire consultants.
Thanks Michel, I appreciate your advice!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Ask the city planning department first. Many planning departments - but not all - very willing to help and point to required documents, timelines or even firms that can assist like surveyors.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Tigran Badalyan

New Forum Member
Registered
Ask the city planning department first. Many planning departments - but not all - very willing to help and point to required documents, timelines or even firms that can assist like surveyors.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I spoke to city planning. They are pretty open and helpful in general. I was just wondering if there is any downside in having consultant company doing the process and representing you. Will the council prefers to see the owner doing everything himself instead of representative and can it affect their decision? Ideally, I would prefer to delegate as much as I can.

Regards,
Tigran

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Council doesn’t care.

Planning department may though. Usually the planning department proposes to council and endorses it.

As usual expertise helps - either acquired yourself or paid for !!

Council then usually rubber stamps it unless there is heavy opposition or a very controversial zoning or opinionated councillors with valid or irrational works views.

Tigran Badalyan

New Forum Member
Registered
Council doesn’t care.

Planning department may though. Usually the planning department proposes to council and endorses it.

As usual expertise helps - either acquired yourself or paid for !!

Council then usually rubber stamps it unless there is heavy opposition or a very controversial zoning or opinionated councillors with valid or irrational works views.

This sheds light on a lot of things. Thanks for the valuable advice Thomas! I appreciate it!

Top Bottom