ROI

afshinrein

Registered
May 7, 2008
Toronto
Hello,

If I am collecting $1000/month rent ($12000/year) and put $0.00 capital because I use home equity loan, then what is my net ROI
(my $12000/year rent - my investment cost of $3000/year)/$0 ??? my cost includes tax and HEL interest as well.

Afshin

gwasser

Registered
Oct 22, 2007
Calgary
QUOTE (afshinrein @ Oct 27 2010, 04:06 AM) Hello,

If I am collecting $1000/month rent ($12000/year) and put $0.00 capital because I use home equity loan, then what is my net ROI
(my $12000/year rent - my investment cost of $3000/year)/$0 ??? my cost includes tax and HEL interest as well.

Afshin

Your rate of return with `zero down` on that property would at first glance be infinite. But you must already feel that that is not realistic.

I would suggest you treat it by looking at both properties. The one where you used the HEL has basically been refinanced and so you have a new ROI for that property. While the HEL money is equity for the new property and now you calculate the ROI using the equity that you acquired from the HEL.

The question is would you charge the interest on the HEL on the refinanced property or on the new property? I think intuitively that you should charge it to the new one. But your accountant probably would charge it to the refinanced property.

Hope his helps

DaveL

Registered
May 5, 2009
Surrey, BC
ROI = [(Payback - Investment)/Investment)]*100
ROI = [(12000-3000)/3000)]*100

ROI = 300%

QUOTE (afshinrein @ Oct 27 2010, 03:06 AM) Hello,

Afshin

Mecheng

Registered
Dec 17, 2007
Bradford, ON
QUOTE (afshinrein @ Oct 27 2010, 03:06 AM) Hello,

Afshin

I`m not sure what your ROI equation is representing:

(Yearly rent collected-yearly cost of borrowing form HELOC) / $0(capital invested)

As stated, any time "capital invested" is $0 your return is "infinite". This is not only, "not realistic" but it is useless to you as an investor. Remember ROI is an analysis tool you use to gauge the potential performance of an investment before you make it and actual performance after completed. Usually you are looking for a min. return value or comparison between two different investments to determine if the reward is worth risk to proceed. Your analysis is only as good as the estimates and assumptions you make and need to be as accurate as possible to make an informed decision.

Let`s stick with the traditional ROI equation and cash on cash equation:

(Total profit after sale- total capital invested) / Total capital invested

Annual cash flow (usually fist year before taxes) / Total capital invested

Based on your assumption of $3000/yr borrowing cost and a 5 yr hold one could assume your total capital invested is $15000. Let assume the property cash flows $100 per month and when you sell your receive $30000 profit after closing. The return would be as follows:

ROI = (30000-15000)/15000 = 100% or 20%/yr over 5 yrs

Cash on Cash = (1200)/15000 = 8%

This is based on $3000/yr borrowing cost is the only capital you invest. Weather that is realistic or not is the question you need to ask yourself and highly depends on your expected profit and cash flow being accurate.

Personally if using an HELOC to invest I would ensure the cost of borrowing is covered by the cash flow from the property. This way your tenant pays the interest and your cost is truly $0. That being said, I do not consider a HELOC to be free money. It is equity in my personal residence and when investing it, I treat it as capital invested out of pocket. Therefore my "total capital invested" is the total amount "borrowed" from my HELOC and my analysis is done with that figure.

Side note: If you do want to consider this $0 capital invested then if fact you do not have an ROI at all but rather money earned for time spent. So a $30000 profit could represent $6000 / yr or $100 / hr, depending on how much time/effort was put into the investment.

bizaro86

Registered
Jan 29, 2008
Calgary, AB
QUOTE (Mecheng @ Oct 27 2010, 09:20 AM) As stated, any time "capital invested" is $0 your return is "infinite".

Or your return could be negative infinity, if the investment has a loss.

Michael

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Aug 26, 2008
Edmonton, AB
QUOTE (Mecheng @ Oct 27 2010, 09:20 AM) Personally if using an HELOC to invest I would ensure the cost of borrowing is covered by the cash flow from the property. This way your tenant pays the interest and your cost is truly $0. That being said, I do not consider a HELOC to be free money. It is equity in my personal residence and when investing it, I treat it as capital invested out of pocket. Therefore my "total capital invested" is the total amount "borrowed" from my HELOC and my analysis is done with that figure.
Also, using this method allows you to compare the current investment to an alternative in order to understand if that capital could be better utilized elsewhere.