Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Searching Problem

jasonlgreen

Registered
Hi there,

I did a search for GST and the search engine did not return any results. I browsed some articles manually and I see the word GST throughout them.

Any reason why this would be happening?

Thanks,
Jason

ChrisDavies

Registered
Usually words with only three letters aren`t searched, or they return too many results.

Anonymous

Registered
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the heads-up! Because we use Full Text Search, words three characters or shorter are ignored by the search engine. I went ahead and manually put a minimal limit of 4 characters to search terms so that you will now be warned if you attempt to use too short of words in your search. Two to three letter words are unrecognized by the system because searches involving these could really bog down the server due to the exceptionally high number of results they would return (imagine searching "the"!).

KrisFerguson

REIN Member
I`ve tried searching for "incorporations for real estate" but have only received error messages. How can I access previous posts on this topic?

Gillian

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi,

Try being a little less specific. The way you have searched the engine will only find topics that have that `exact` phrase. Sure, less words brings in more posts, however that way you will capture more options and you can just click through to the ones that cover what you want.

Here is a search for the word incorporation:

I`ve tried searching for "incorporations for real estate" but have only received error messages. How can I access previous posts on this topic?

Gillian

Anonymous

Registered
QUOTE (GFerguson @ Aug 14 2008, 10:38 PM) I`ve tried searching for "incorporations for real estate" but have only received error messages. How can I access previous posts on this topic?

Gillian

If you put in search terms smaller than 4 characters, it was set to display an error message (in this case, the word "for" tripped it up). I was testing this because no error message was displayed for searches like "GST" which are not recognized by the search system by themselves.

I just switched it back to "0 characters", (Once again, testing it out) which should be easier if you`re just typing in a phrase to search ("how to make money"), but it can be confusing if you want to find info about short acronyms ("PST"). Keep in mind that searching "make money" will probably get you just as relevant results as "how to make money" will.

After playing around with the search function and it seems that it will recognize these small words as long as you have other words in the search. "GST" gets you nothing but "GST taxes" will find you posts with both GST and taxes in them.

Oddly enough, I tried several searches including GST and another word and this thread was the only one I could pull up using the search function, so either I don`t know what context people would use "GST" in or it just isn`t posted very often
style_emoticons

Top Bottom