Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Seller`s Tenants Trashed The Property

DineenJJ

Registered
I was supposed to be taking possession of a property on August 4 until I found out today from my lawyer`s office that the seller`s tenants have done a lot of damage to the property. The email from the lawyer also stated that the seller is fixing the property and materials have been ordered.

So possession has been moved back to August 11 which is okay... but tonight when I drove past the property just to take a look there were 3 large windows boarded up, the yard is completely un-kept, and there is a lot of junk (doors, old couches, etc) lying around the yard.

I want to take a look inside the property with my inspector before and after the repairs have taken place to make sure everything was done well and not just slapped together.

What should I do?

I`m going to contact my lawyer but how can I make sure that the property is in similar condition upon possession as when the offer was made?

JBagorio

Registered
QUOTE (DineenJJ @ Jul 31 2009, 10:56 PM) ... the yard is completely un-kept, and there is a lot of junk (doors, old couches, etc) lying around the yard.

I want to take a look inside the property with my inspector before and after the repairs have taken place to make sure everything was done well and not just slapped together.

What should I do?

I hope you have done all your homework prior to contract acceptance. Seems like you are still surprised with how things looks. If so I would run away and look else where... Or else make sure all the damages are fixed and take vacant possesion if you think it is still worth it. good luck!

Nir

REIN Member
Is this the one on which you had a dilemma earlier and asked whether or not to request a vacant unit upon possession? OMG although it is your right, sounds like the tenant did not like the idea! I can understand why although he should be charged for such disgusting barbaric vandalism. (unless I`m confusing this with another posting). good luck.

invst4profit

Registered
If the deal is already sealed and your lawyer is not on top of the situation why not just call the seller and work directly with him.
I would go through the place with him and discuss what is being done, who the contractors are etc..

terri

Registered
It sounds like the lawyer is on top of it since it was there office who called to inform of the situation.

Your lawyer will probably advise you best on how to deal with this, but I would push the closing date so that the owner can do the repairs and make sure that you inspect it before closing. Unless you don`t want the property anymore in which case you probably have the option to walk away.

ShannonMurree

REIN Member
The seller has the obligation to keep the property in good repair and condition on how you viewed it. You`re in another province so not sure of the laws there but in Ontario, on our offers we write in having additional walkthru`s on the property prior to closing. I would definitely do this with your agent with digital and video camera in hand. Take notes and go back to your lawyer for sure. Perhaps he/she can negotiate some sort of hold back or something.

ChrisMewhort

Registered
QUOTE (DineenJJ @ Jul 31 2009, 09:56 PM) I was supposed to be taking possession of a property on August 4 until I found out today from my lawyer`s office that the seller`s tenants have done a lot of damage to the property.

Hey Dineen,

Long time no speak!
What ended up happening here?? `Happily ever after` or `The Moral of The Story Is...`?

Top Bottom