Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Selling a property with roommates

Coreena

Registered
Hi All, I have a question. I am currently selling a home that is vacant and in different town then where I live. I go to the house once a week to make sure everything is okay and do touch ups.

I was thinking about renting out a couple of the rooms in the house so that there would be someone in thee, plus It would allow me to get over $500 per month per room. The rooms would be rented to student at a local Massage college. If this house doesn`t sell by the end of summer then I will just keep it and rent out all the rooms.

Question, does renting out rooms fall under the tenancy act?? I read that it doesn`t if the person you are renting the room to shares a kitchen and bathroom with the landlord. Since I don`t really live there and am only going there once a week would this cause problems?? If I sell the house it takes around a month from the time the offer is accepted to the time possession is taken. This being the case I should be ok to give the person 30 days notice once there is an offer accepted and as long as I am upfront with the tenant from the very beginning.

Anybody a BC tenancy law guru.

Any good suggestions or ideas?

Thanks Coreena

wealthyboomer

Registered
That would fall under the `Innkeepers Act`, which is much better than the Tenancy act, as you can evict immediately if you have any problems.
Good Luck
style_emoticons

Coreena

Registered
QUOTE (wealthyboomer @ Jun 5 2008, 08:56 PM) That would fall under the `Innkeepers Act`, which is much better than the Tenancy act, as you can evict immediately if you have any problems.
Good Luck
style_emoticons

Hey there I tried googling Innkeepers act and nothing up to date came up. Also is the Innkeepers act same as hotel keepers act. Do you happen to have a link to any relevant websites that talk about this act.

Thanks Coreena

wealthyboomer

Registered
QUOTE (Coreena @ Jun 16 2008, 09:54 AM) Hey there I tried googling Innkeepers act and nothing up to date came up. Also is the Innkeepers act same as hotel keepers act. Do you happen to have a link to any relevant websites that talk about this act.

Thanks Coreena
Yes, the Hotel Innkeepers Act is the correct one.

Top Bottom