Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Selling a Revenue Property

smack123

Registered
Hi everyone,

A few quick questions... I am considering selling my revenue property (30 yr. old SFD) just outside of Edmonton next spring to take advantage of what is generally an annual upswing in activity and prices.

First, the house is currently rented with tenants who signed a new 1-yr. lease that expires June 30, 2010. Assuming that I want to list earlier in the spring (April/May) am I better off providing the tenants their 3-months notice on, say, January 31, 2010, that they need to be out on April 30th and then list on May 1st in order to have a vacant property hit the market... OR, should I leave the tenants in and try to sell with tenants in place, which will either potentially hinder a sale - if someone is buying a house for themselves it is unlikely they will want to wait 3 months to move in, OR potentially enhance a sale where the purchaser is an investor and sees a property that already has a tenant.

I have been in this dilemna once before and tried to sell with tenants in place, which was very challenging. They made life difficult on a few occasions (took 1+month to get them to allow my realtor to take photos of the interior for the listing, refused entry for my realtor for a showing when they said they hadn`t called for an appointment, when in fact he had, etc...)

I certainly understand that this is frustrating for a tenant who sees their potential living space being pulled out from underneath them, that said, that`s the nature of living in a property that someone else owns.

Secondly.... just to confirm, is it legal to give tenants 3-month notice solely for the purpose of being able to sell the property in a vacant state?

Obviously removing the tenants is risky from a financial standpoint as I have to carry the costs from their date of departure until the house sells, but it just seems to me that selling vacant will be quicker and easier.

Finally, what is th best time to hit the market..... April 1st, May 1st, June 1st....?

Suggestions?

Nir

REIN Member
a. leave the tenants alone and just mention the option to buy vacant in the ad. this way only if buyer is interested in vacant property upon possession, you serve tenants notices. b. next time you give a proper notice to a tenant, come with a policeman within 15 minutes upon tenant`s entry refusal. not allowing you, the owner, legal entry to your unit is not acceptable. I give my tenants a lot of respect. I expect the same from them.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (smack123 @ Nov 6 2009, 02:45 PM) ...

First, the house is currently rented with tenants who signed a new 1-yr. lease that expires June 30, 2010. Assuming that I want to list earlier in the spring (April/May) am I better off providing the tenants their 3-months notice on, say, January 31, 2010, that they need to be out on April 30th and then list on May 1st...
selling a single family home vacant is FAR FAR BETTER .. assuming you are targeting an owner that wishes to live there!! Different obviously if the target buyer is an investor. However, the core of REIN is "change of use" .. i.e. buy/hold as a rental/investment property .. but sell for top $s to an owner !

However, if your tenant has a one year lease you cannot force him to leave before June 30, 2010 !! You can enduce him by offering him a $2500 cheque if he moves out, say March 30 so you an tidy the place up and then list for April 15 !

Consider staging the property with some furniture and pictures as a vacant home may show as "cold" or "sterile" .. which is better than "messy" or "dirty" which is the possibility with a tenant you have no control over !

Best is "clean, nice, lovely furnished .. STAGED " ..

RedlineBrett

Registered
If the property will cater to an investor you might as well leave the tenants in so that they can make the decision on whether they want to keep the leases and smooth out their cash flow or if they want vacant possession. Particularly if you`ve got good leases and the property will cashflow for the new investor.

If it`s a single family house most likely to be purchased by a family that will owner-occupy then you need to get the tenants out and have the place cleaned and perhaps even staged if there is wear and tear that will cause it to show poorly. I can pretty much guarantee that unless your tenants are really clean your place won`t sell for top dollar with tenants in.

Top Bottom