Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Should I Sell or Hold?

Millions

Registered
I've had a 2-bedroom apartment now in Killarney, Calgary for the last 10 years that has been a thorn in my side. I really can't imagine a worse investment and although I likely can't sell at this point, I thought I'd ask the question to get a professional take on it.

2-bedroom apartment - top floor (3rd) - walk-up - underground parking - 830 sq ft -
Bought in 2007 for $260K
Was hit hard in 2008 and then slowly climbed back up to maybe $245 last year.
Now got hit even HARDER in 2016, both in potential value and rents.
Plus, we just got hit with a $800,000 assessment between 24 units.

Over the last five years, it actually wasn't too bad. My total costs for the place were about $1350 and I was renting it out for $1575. Not a bad cash flow on an apartment.

But now, thanks to the assessment, we have a new "condo fee" of $266 monthly for 15 years. And Rents have dropped $400.

So currently:

Condo fees, $370 + taxes $100 + Mortgage $890 + new condo fee $266 is $1,626
Current rent is just $1150 (new tenants moving in this month)
Total LOSS of $475 per month.

I owe around $205K still. That's what is remaining on mortgage. With the $800K assessment, they not only fixed the big problem (moisture) but also renovated the exterior of the building plus new windows, new balconies, the whole nine yards externally.

However, there's a big problem with selling thanks to the 15-year assessment. That makes the condo fees almost $700 until then. Although a somewhat similar apartment across the street is going for $275K (asking, not selling), someone in our building on the second floor was listing his at a whopping $150K! and it didn't sell. Unbelievable considering LAST YEAR one sold for $250K. This guy was desperate because it was vacant and he bought a new house somewhere from what I hear. None the less, it didn't sell.

My current mortgage is just a 2-year, which ends in July. So I'll likely take another 2-year or a 5-year variable to keep costs where they are and pray there's no interest rate climb for 5 years (or at least not much).

I'm considering Rent-to-Own or maybe an assumable if that still works these days.
My new tenants are open to a 6-12 month, so I'm thinking 6-months, which would bring to May 2017 incase anything changes with the mortgage.

What would you do in this case?

If the chance ever comes to sell for $225K, I'm in.
But since one already didn't sell, I'm assuming that's not even on the table without losing my shirt.

But what would be your game plan?

Continue to take the $475 loss until rents climb back up? Hold for another five years until sale prices increase? Try to sell creatively via Rent-to-Own or something?

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
Even one Alligator is too much. At least try to sell for $225, as not much to lose at this point.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
2016 is the bottom of the market with a slow ascent in 2017 and 2018. Your unit is of the cheapest housing options available. Try to hold if possible. RTO an option. New mortgage rules won't help entry level buyers.

A tough choice: dump now and eat a loss or wait ? Can you afford the $500/month negative cash flow ? Does it eat on you constantly ? If so, dump it. If a mere itch consider waiting two years, then decide. Interest rates will stay low for long so rates in the low 2% range will be here for a while.

Millions

Registered
Thanks for the assistance. I can handle it for now. If I could get $225K, I'd sell but as I mentioned, one guy was selling a 2-bedroom (a bit smaller and on the 2nd floor) for $150K and didn't sell it. So if that's how it is right now, I'd take a massive loss from the look of it... I was actually thinking of buying that one as I never imagined them going that low.

Do you think with an assessment, the place will be nearly unsellable for the 15 years? or greatly diminished?

Thomas: I guess selling in the worst time would be a bad decision so I'll try to hold. I'm hoping rents slowly go up but who knows...

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
150 is below the price per unit of a whole building.

What you could do is buy that one and "double down". You can also try to get elected to the condo board. Then convince other owners that they should do a special assessment say 20-30,000 per unit and pay the improvement rather than a very high condo fee !! Condoboard likely took a loan out well in excess of a 2.2% mortgage rate, say 6-8% which is really really dumb financially.

Millions

Registered
What do you mean by "150 is below the price per unit of a whole building".

Excuse my ignorance :)

Good point. The current loan has a 5-year am so at that point, I'm assuming we could all make that decision. High interest rate of 5.8% so the $33,000 assessment (per unit x 24 units) ends up being $47,000 over 15 years, probably killing any growth in price....

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
An average non-condo apartment building in Calgary is selling from 160-220,000 these days so if you can buy a 2BR in a decent area in a renovated building for 150,000 then you should buy ten of them.

And yes, doing a cash call to each owner is far far better than paying 5.8% AND far higher condo fees. Not only do you pay more on the current arrangement the value also is 30-45,000 lower !

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
Unfortunatly you bought at the peak of the condo conversion craze, where almost any apartment building was being converted including many crappo ones that should not have been. I'm not sure of the overal condition of your building, however I know in Edmonton people bought these stratified units at 150K plus, and many of them sold for as low as 50K or less a couple years later. Some even had no reserve funds, or incompetent condo boards. Also with high Calgary vacancy you are competing for buyers who have many condos to chose from, and can likely pick up a brand new one for the same price, hence why the other one didn't sell for 150K. Tough spot, but selling doesn't apper to be an option so either look for someone to take over your payments on a RTO perhaps, or keep feeding it until you eventualy break even if you can hang in there emotionally. I was also in this situation and I took the immidiate hit and erased it from my memory as soon as possible.

trevismcconaghy

Trevis McConaghy, REIA
REIN Member
Some thoughts thought that come to mind is to try to extract more rent out of your unit are:
1. Rent is as a furnished rental (you can buy great used furniture online)
2. Use an Airbnb type system to get higher rent
3. Rent out your parking spot separately

Just a few thoughts.....

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
I have a thorn in my side too, but there may be hope for you.

This was the first and only apartment condo I will ever own. We bought a month before the 2007 crash and it has never again been worth what we paid for it. Plus the developer "spent" the reserve fund on repairs (with receipts hand-written by him), so every subsequent repair has been out of pocket for the owners. Then rents plummeted and the tenant profile took a dive.

However, because of its excellent location, I converted to a fully-equipped supersuite and now that sucker cashflows as well as my suited houses. Last year we had a $10k special assessment and I still made a small profit for the year.

The keys to a good supersuite are location and the idea of relaxation. It must look and feel like an oasis or retreat because your guests will be working long hours and want to return to someplace appealing and relaxing. Nice linens and bedding are critical. Do NOT fall into the cheap furniture trap. I have seen garage sale style suites and they attract poor quality tenants.

And the added bonus of coordinated decor is that it looks like a show suite when the market recovers and you are ready to sell.

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
That's a good story and the first positive one I have heard from anyone who bought these converted apartments from 2007. One friend ended up buying 4 of them in one building, the reserve fund was gone, in a not so great Edmonton area along 66th street. Well done for finding a way to take a long term approach and turn around a bad purchase.

Top Bottom