Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SILVER LINING - Prime to drop from 3% to 2.5%

RobMacdonald

Registered
The Central Bank is doing their part, the question now is will the major banks follow suit with the drop in prime?

mortgageman

Registered
QUOTE (RobMacdonaldCMT @ Mar 2 2009, 09:10 PM) The Central Bank is doing their part, the question now is will the major banks follow suit with the drop in prime?

I`m willing to be the fed`s are putting pressure on the banks to follow suit by dropping prime. The banks can`t plead poverty after the quarterly earnings results that came out last week.

PaulPoulsen

Registered
Does the Bank of Canada have it within their authority to force banks to lower their rates?

Conrad5

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
A Bank wanted to give me an LOC at a rate of prime + 6.5 today and I turned it down. Their reason was that it is difficult to get credit and that unless it is a secured LOC that is the best rate they have. I politely turned it down and told them that I dont need it. I find it hard to understand that despite all the money being injected into the Banks by the Central Bank in its effort to increase credit availability, these Banks feel it is their time to cut some pound of flesh from the consumer. Until today the highest rate on unsecured LOC I have with any of the Banks is prime +2 (all interest only), so why should I go for prime+ 6.5 which also include paying 3% of the used portion every month shoudl I used it?

mortgageman

Registered
QUOTE (PaulPoulsen @ Mar 2 2009, 10:08 PM) Does the Bank of Canada have it within their authority to force banks to lower their rates?

No of course they can`t force the banks to lower rates.
But I`m willing to bet that the Finance minister and others in the Finance Department chat with the powers that be at banks and say things like "Well, you want us to do something about (name whatever policy the banks want to see happen), we expect you to fall into line and pass on lower rates to consumers and businesses."
I would suggest CMHC`s purchase of what was the final figure, $50 billion?, worth of mortgages should buy some co-operation.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (caglah @ Mar 2 2009, 10:55 PM) ...Until today the highest rate on unsecured LOC I have with any of the Banks is prime +2 (all interest only), so why should I go for prime+ 6.5 which also include paying 3% of the used portion every month shoudl I used it?
Because times have changed .. did you get a better rate elsewhere ?

GarthChapman

Registered
Three of the big five have already announced the full 0.5% off their Prime Rates.

HeatherBrandt

Registered
QUOTE (jkcomm @ Mar 3 2009, 02:23 PM) Anyone heard from CIBC about their prime rate?

James

"Canada`s major banks appeared ready to play ball with Carney: shortly after the announcement, Royal Bank (TSX:RY), Bank of Montreal (TSX:BMO), TD Bank (TSX:TD), CIBC (TSX:CM) and Scotiabank (TSX:BNS) announced that they would cut their prime rates by half a percentage point, in step with the central bank"

TommyK

Registered
Yep, soon after the BIG FIVE, HSBC Bank Canad also lowered their prime to 2.5%.

Come to think of it, don`t you find it fishy why most banks are jacking up unsecured LOC in March?

LOL

Top Bottom