Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Smart home systems

RedlineBrett

Registered
I am making a move on the personal side next month and my potential new house is pre-wired for a smart home system.

Can anyone give me any info on these things? Do you actually use them and do they add a lot of value to your lifestyle?

MikeMcC874

Registered
I don`t know if this qualifies but I have been installing motion sensing light switches in some of my rooms. Places like the laundry room, and the bathrooms.

I really like them and the lights tend to get left on less now. That helps with the "light switch OCD".

2 for $26 at Costco.

Mike

MikeMcCrae

Registered
I had lots of extra wire put in when I built my house. Once you get things where you want them you don`t need the extra wiring but till you get it figured out, who knows? Might help with resale. I wouldn`t do all the computer hook ups again though, I do most of my home computing sitting on the couch with my laptop...wireless.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
I used to have a fairly extensive home automation system, with 40-50 sensors & controlled devices, security system and a custom programmable computer system operating it all. I liked it, but my wife couldn`t be bothered to use it. It was a fun hobby and I enjoyed setting up and modifying the system, but I can`t say it added true value. I eventually removed most of the devices.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Jun 7 2010, 12:02 PM) I used to have a fairly extensive home automation system, with 40-50 sensors & controlled devices, security system and a custom programmable computer system operating it all. I liked it, but my wife couldn`t be bothered to use it. It was a fun hobby and I enjoyed setting up and modifying the system, but I can`t say it added true value. I eventually removed most of the devices.

Hmmmm... wife factor... Can`t believe I didn`t think of that.

What kinds of things did you have automated?

Berubeland

Registered
LMAO at the wife factor. My hubby has our tv so complicated now that I need a PHD just to figure it out. I really like when he changes it up a little just to keep it interesting. If he ran away or got hit by a bus there`s no way I would be able to keep this system up.

If he started reprogramming the house I`d probably have to live in the shed in the backyard

dwoychuk

Registered
QUOTE (Berubeland @ Jun 7 2010, 06:17 PM) LMAO at the wife factor. My hubby has our tv so complicated now that I need a PHD just to figure it out. I really like when he changes it up a little just to keep it interesting. If he ran away or got hit by a bus there`s no way I would be able to keep this system up.

If he started reprogramming the house I`d probably have to live in the shed in the backyard

Your husband may hate me for telling you this, as some do this to keep their wives away from their electronics, but go and get a Logitech Harmony remote (you may want someone to come and program it for you). But basically, once it is programmed they are a one button operation remote. "Watch TV" button will turn on the TV, switch it to the proper input, turn on the cable/sat box, turn on the sound system, etc. They are great.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Jun 7 2010, 12:46 PM) What kinds of things did you have automated?
An incomplete list:

- Dusk/dawn sensors that set various mode settings (different operations in daylight vs dark)
- Motion sensors @ garage/driveway, back yard, back step, front step
- Motion sensors in hallways and basement rooms
- Away/Home settings set by keyfob remotes when leaving or arriving - also set security status
- Motion in backyard at night turned on back step lights inside and outside so path and interior was lit when coming home.
- If security status was Away, the above would also turn on a couple inside lights after a delay (appearance of someone being at home).
- "Stillness detection" that would turn off room lights if left on and no movement detected after a period of time. (Took a while to get that one right - nothing like reading a book quietly then the lights go out and you have to wave your arms around in the dark to turn them back on....)
- "Goodnight" routines that would: turn off (almost) all house lights, arm security system, set "Home" status.
- Motion in hallway during the night would set hallway and kitchen lights to 10% lit to provide soft light.
- Remotes and wall panels to control the system.
- Some remote controlled multi-room audio and auto power switching for various components.
- Full system control via telephone or internet as well.
- Lighting in home theater controlled by universal remote (still have this & a couple other functions in HT).

Beside the WAF, you also need to consider what the system will do for (or TO!) visitors like elderly relatives and babysitters. We had more than one sitter convinced that our house was haunted.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Jun 8 2010, 01:28 AM) An incomplete list:

- Dusk/dawn sensors that set various mode settings (different operations in daylight vs dark)
- Motion sensors @ garage/driveway, back yard, back step, front step
- Motion sensors in hallways and basement rooms
- Away/Home settings set by keyfob remotes when leaving or arriving - also set security status
- Motion in backyard at night turned on back step lights inside and outside so path and interior was lit when coming home.
- If security status was Away, the above would also turn on a couple inside lights after a delay (appearance of someone being at home).
- "Stillness detection" that would turn off room lights if left on and no movement detected after a period of time. (Took a while to get that one right - nothing like reading a book quietly then the lights go out and you have to wave your arms around in the dark to turn them back on....)
- "Goodnight" routines that would: turn off (almost) all house lights, arm security system, set "Home" status.
- Motion in hallway during the night would set hallway and kitchen lights to 10% lit to provide soft light.
- Remotes and wall panels to control the system.
- Some remote controlled multi-room audio and auto power switching for various components.
- Full system control via telephone or internet as well.
- Lighting in home theater controlled by universal remote (still have this & a couple other functions in HT).

Beside the WAF, you also need to consider what the system will do for (or TO!) visitors like elderly relatives and babysitters. We had more than one sitter convinced that our house was haunted.

Wow thanks for the list Jim... That will help a lot. Appreciate your insight!

Top Bottom