Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Squirrels in House

calgarypoolshark

Registered
A tenant has advised me that there is at least one squirrel running around on the drop ceiling in the basement......... I`m not big on rodents - who should I call? Any exterminators?

TylerUzelman

REIN Member
You should think about charging a pet rent to the tenant....lol

Wait for a nice day, go to the property when the squirrels are outside, seal up all holes into the house.
You can do the same for bats, but at night.

Hope this helps,

kboughen

REIN Member
QUOTE (TylerUzelman @ Feb 11 2009, 07:18 PM) Wait for a nice day, go to the property when the squirrels are outside, seal up all holes into the house.
You can do the same for bats, but at night.
I once had squirrels chewing right through the vinyl siding and wood to gain access to the attic, make sure when you seal up the access point, you use a deterrent to future chewing such as stuffing the hole with steel wool first.

housingrental

Registered
I`m not an expert on this but my understanding you want to get them out first then seal whole so they don`t cause interior damage
You should place traps near the whole
Once squirells caught seal whole

EdRenkema

Registered
Squirrels are destructive rodents and the annoying thing is some people actually feed them!
Hire a professional to trap and remove the rodents and you will likely get some helpful feedback on how to keep them out as well.

invst4profit

Registered
As a last resort you could scatter rat poison up in the attic. It works on tree rats too.
You would still have to close up where ever they are getting in.
The nice thing about a product like "warfarin` is it forces them to go to water, hopefully outside the building, and once they drink they die quickly. In my experience the poison dehydrates the animal to the point of there being little to no smell..

There are of course risks involved with using poison and the individual must determine if it is the best option under there particular circumstances.
A few dollars for poison compared to possibly a couple of hundred for an exterminator.

housingrental

Registered
Most people find poison unethical

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Feb 12 2009, 02:38 PM) As a last resort you could scatter rat poison up in the attic. It works on tree rats too.
You would still have to close up where ever they are getting in.
The nice thing about a product like "warfarin` is it forces them to go to water, hopefully outside the building, and once they drink they die quickly. In my experience the poison dehydrates the animal to the point of there being little to no smell..

There are of course risks involved with using poison and the individual must determine if it is the best option under there particular circumstances.
A few dollars for poison compared to possibly a couple of hundred for an exterminator.

housingrental

Registered
In my experience the professional companies will advise you to do it yourself for small jobs and they`ll come back and seal.

QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Feb 12 2009, 10:42 AM) Squirrels are destructive rodents and the annoying thing is some people actually feed them!
Hire a professional to trap and remove the rodents and you will likely get some helpful feedback on how to keep them out as well.

invst4profit

Registered
"Most people find poison unethical`

I know but since most landlords own properties in the city I didn`t think shooting them would be an option.

brad

REIN Member
Shooting them is definitely out, hahaha.

"PERSONALLY"I don`t find poisoning them unethical. Squirrels are nothing but rats with fluffy tails. They will eat through anything, cause damage, stink up your place with filthy urine and bread like it`s going out of style. Do what you must to the few that are there to prevent an infestation.

Don`t think that because you hire a professional the animals will be dealt with humanly. I know of a "professional" who would bag and drown rodents. I know that is a rarity, but it happens.

Just my 2 cents.

Brad Hamilton

invst4profit

Registered
Brad:

Not sure what kind of squirrels you have in Oakville? Do they bake the bread on site or bring it in from outside.

brad

REIN Member
Funny guy!!!!!!

Please substitute bread with breed, ha, I even proof read that post a few times before submitting it, hahahaha.

Though if it were possible, I would love a nice whole wheat raisin loaf

EdRenkema

Registered
Brad you should see them trotting around my back yard in the morning, they would make great target practice, maybe not possible with an actual gun, how about a fire hose?

andrewsimpson

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Feb 14 2009, 03:56 PM) Brad you should see them trotting around my back yard in the morning, they would make great target practice, maybe not possible with an actual gun, how about a fire hose?

A sure way to be rid of a squirrel is to set up a feeding station and put a trap right beside the feeder. If you feel this is unethical you can try a live trap or a humane trap but the problem with squirrels is that once they are trapped inside a humane trap they go nuts (excuse the pun) and will kill themselves in the humane trap due to stress. If neither of these options appeal to you then you will need to completely seal your house and remove absolutely any and all food sources that are attracting them. You may be surprised at where they are finding food.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (andrewsimpson @ Feb 14 2009, 05:29 PM) A sure way to be rid of a squirrel is to set up a feeding station and put a trap right beside the feeder. If you feel this is unethical you can try a live trap or a humane trap but the problem with squirrels is that once they are trapped inside a humane trap they go nuts (excuse the pun) and will kill themselves in the humane trap due to stress. If neither of these options appeal to you then you will need to completely seal your house and remove absolutely any and all food sources that are attracting them. You may be surprised at where they are finding food.

This was tongue-in-cheeck since Brad is a firefighter.
To me there is nothing unethical about eradicating destructive rodents. Some people live trap them and paint their tails, move them a significant distance away and the same ones return. The way they breed (or bread) I see no problem in liquidating the local population. I`ve tried baiting and trapping them, they don`t go for it, did pick off a blue jay once.

mortgageman

Registered
QUOTE (andrewsimpson @ Feb 14 2009, 04:29 PM) A sure way to be rid of a squirrel is to set up a feeding station and put a trap right beside the feeder. If you feel this is unethical you can try a live trap or a humane trap but the problem with squirrels is that once they are trapped inside a humane trap they go nuts (excuse the pun) and will kill themselves in the humane trap due to stress. If neither of these options appeal to you then you will need to completely seal your house and remove absolutely any and all food sources that are attracting them. You may be surprised at where they are finding food.

My mom and I caught dozens and dozens of squirrels during my childhood by live trapping and relocating them. Here`s how we did it: put a small board on the ground. Prop up the edge of an upside down, container with a twig or clothes peg. Make sure the container is hefty or put a brick on top. Run string from the peg to inside your house. Put a yummy squirrel snack inside the container. wait until the squirrel shows up - which won`t take very long. Pull the string when he`s inside.
Then drive the squirrel a very, very far distance and release. It`s good fun, especially if you have children.
My dad had a more permanent solution which involved a .22 rifle. I don`t recommend that method for the kids.

AndyLuchies

Registered
be careful with humane traps, if the squirrels are still around, they will try to come back to their "home", especially now that it is winter.

You gotta deal with it NOW before spring, breeding is no good. If you lead the parents outside and seal up the hole with babies inside the parents will destroy your place to get back in. so double check area before sealing.

i had a raccoon in my chimney with babies... cost $400 (in hamilton) to get it out by professional, next time i`d smoke it out when my wife leaves....hehe.

anyways, LOTS of info on the net to get rid of the rodents.

have fun.

RedlineBrett

Registered
A squirrel is a rat with a poofy tail.

not sure if this would work with a squirrel but for mice we have put a big wad of peanut butter on a tray in a five gallon drum of water filled 3-4 inches from the top. They fall in and drown. Mice go crazy for that peanut butter.

Top Bottom