Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Start w/ triplex or 3 single family homes?

donksky

Registered
Hello,
I`m researching buying our 1st investment property & all other factors being equal, should I go for a triplex (less transaction costs, multiple sources of income) or 2-3 single family homes instead (better appreciation perhaps, easier to sell)?

terri

Registered
QUOTE (donksky @ Jan 8 2008, 01:30 PM) Hello,
I`m researching buying our 1st investment property & all other factors being equal, should I go for a triplex (less transaction costs, multiple sources of income) or 2-3 single family homes instead (better appreciation perhaps, easier to sell)?

Hi Donna,

not sure what other factors are equal?

Whether you buy single family or multiple unit is up to you, depending on the area you are buying in, home much you have to spend, your comfort level with multi unit homes and what type of properties you want to hold in your portfolio.

You will need to do more due diligence on a triplex, but I find I get much better cash flow with 3 or 4 units, just make sure they are legal!!!

At first I also worried that the multi unit would be hard to sell later on, or not see the same price gain as a single family home, but what I found last summer was that there were many multi unit sales in my area going for more than $100,000 over asking, getting much higher $$$ than comparable houses that were single family. This was a new phenomenon, single family in my area traditionally fetched the highest price, but as housing prices skyrocketed buyers could no longer afford to not have additional income from rental units . My area is popular with young couples and singles, not very family driven so buyers aren`t looking for a large house to raise kids, they want to live in the area, in a house not a condo, and are willing to sacrifice some space to make it happen. You need to research your area and then decide what the best deal is, see what type of property is increasing in value at the biggest rate. One thing I should point out is that these multi-unit properties that were going well over asking were converted single family homes not original built triplexes. Original built triplexes did not seem to have the same demand. Not sure if it`s because the property tax is higher or they don`t attract buyers looking to live in it. Just something to be aware of, you really need to understand your area and what drives the market there and why. I think if you do your due diligence on the area you plan on investing in, that will help you decide whether single family or multi unit is right for you.

I hope this helps,

Terri

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Hi Donna,

The first two properties my husband and I bought were one of each, a four-plex and a town-house condominium. The 4-plex had a higher cash flow, but a much steeper learning curve for us.

When you buy a multi you get the tenants too and ours were vibrant. Multis often have smaller units so you tend to attract tenants with less stability. Ours had a shared entrance which was a big problem as they were always in each other`s business. We faced some tough decisions that we handled poorly because of our inexperience.

When you buy a single family home, you usually get choose your tenants, and renting to a family is much more stable and quiet. The drawback is it is tougher to have a tenant in place upon closing and monthly cash-flow is tighter.

Everyone`s experience is unique, but based on mine I would advise you to go the single-family route as you get yourself established. There is an awful lot to learn in this business and you would be wise to keep it as simple for yourself as you can. Laying a solid base right now is most important. Get your team together, establish your mangement system and find out who you are in this new job as a landlord. With a solid base you will be able to grow tall and strong.

It is a great adventure. I wish you all the best.

Carla

mthorn

Registered
QUOTE (donksky @ Jan 8 2008, 03:30 PM) Hello,I`m researching buying our 1st investment property & all other factors being equal, should I go for a triplex (less transaction costs, multiple sources of income) or 2-3 single family homes instead (better appreciation perhaps, easier to sell)?
Hi there,I am having almost the smae discussion with good friends of mine who are inching towards their first real estate investment. - here`s a copy of an email I sent them to a similar question about a year ago.

It really depends on what you want out of your investment – there are all different types – for example:  We own a mixture of single family homes and multi unit long term rental properties.  

Type:The single family homes are small – so the purchase price is low and the rent covers all the payments.  – down payment is also low.   In Midland we look for around the $100,000 range in Orillia and Innisfil under 200,000.  We don’t get much or any cash flow on these properties, but they are relatively easy to manage, pretty good tenant profiles and very duplicate-able – I could buy 150 single houses a year, manage them, run them, and have equity growth.  They would be easy to sell in the future with a real possibility of selling them privately to another investor, a current tenant or just any one.  If you have one tenant who doesn’t pay – you can get in a cash flow crunch because that tenant provides your only income.

The multi unit homes are bigger, they offer cash flow each year.  The down payment is higher.  In Orillia they have gone up an average of 10% a year over the last three years. If one tenant does not pay rent you still have the others – plus with the cash flow from earlier, it is easier to build up a reserve fund (I like to build up to 4 months).  They can take longer to sell and you often have no choice but to go through a realtor.  They are tougher to manage and the tenant profile is not as great. Intial start up with everything from property managment to setting up utilities takes time and I definatly would be overwhelmed if I bought too many at once!

Condition of building:  We specialize in buying ugly properties and either fixing them within the first year or slowly with the cash flow over 5 years.  We like to refinance and get all our money out as soon as possible.  Obviously this takes time to manage the contractors and experience with repairs etc.  Some properties only need minor elbow grease and cosmetic repairs like paint etc.  We like to find properties that are under priced. (Wholesale instead of retail.).  Some people like new buildings because they are easy, and no worry or maintenance.

Area: I like to buy in a transition area.  An area, that through my research I believe is turning around as opposed to the best area in town.  This might mean that my neighbours aren’t great; I can’t get top top rents, but over the next 2-4 years I am expecting a significant shift – remember though – that the fundamentals worked so even if the shift doesn’t happen, I have bought at or below market and the tenants are paying for everything including paying off the mortgage.  (In Orillia I love the Elgin Street Area because it is in a transition area - UGLY right now)

I once heard someone (not sure where) describe investment like the way woman rank men.  This is where I would put the different types of real estate investments

A)  Bad Boys:    Man - Often very attractive – a lot of hard work to train the man - but could end up being harmful and the relationship might not work.  If it does work then the rewards are enormous!! Investment – Lot of time, high needs investment - if you`re not careful could loose you money – possible returns are very high 50 – 200% ROI  (for me… some of the very ugly – until I fix them and then they become B investments, and the multi unit – which require a lot of management)

B)  Nice Boys:  Man - Kind, fun to be around we know he is going to treat us well and take care of us. – not very excitingInvestment:  Very easy to manage but some time and effort is required to acquire it and manage it.  Time spent researching area etc, and type.  Good returns – 20-40% ROI per year.  (for me…single family homes or beautiful multi unit with everything already done and great tenant profiles)

C)  Wimps:        Man: - the name says it all                       
Investment: You buy it - don’t think about it again until next year.  ROI – average 3-8% (for me…. Mutual funds, bonds, gic’s , saving accounts, etc)

You are going to have to sit down and REALLY look at what you want real estate to bring you.  How hands on do you want to be?  How much time do you want to spend.  It sounds great to buy a fixerupper multi unit filled with crack heads becasue the $`s look great, but you have to have the money and time to spendto fix it.  Read the successs Stores  - there is some great examples in there.  Every Investor is different and what works for me or for John Doe may not work for you.

What worked for me 1 year ago may not work for me today!   Good Luck.  Have Fun!

BobHudson

Registered
QUOTE (CarlaJohnson @ Jan 10 2008, 09:24 PM) Hi Donna,

The first two properties my husband and I bought were one of each, a four-plex and a town-house condominium. The 4-plex had a higher cash flow, but a much steeper learning curve for us.

When you buy a multi you get the tenants too and ours were vibrant. Multis often have smaller units so you tend to attract tenants with less stability. Ours had a shared entrance which was a big problem as they were always in each other`s business. We faced some tough decisions that we handled poorly because of our inexperience.

When you buy a single family home, you usually get choose your tenants, and renting to a family is much more stable and quiet. The drawback is it is tougher to have a tenant in place upon closing and monthly cash-flow is tighter.

Everyone`s experience is unique, but based on mine I would advise you to go the single-family route as you get yourself established. There is an awful lot to learn in this business and you would be wise to keep it as simple for yourself as you can. Laying a solid base right now is most important. Get your team together, establish your mangement system and find out who you are in this new job as a landlord. With a solid base you will be able to grow tall and strong.

It is a great adventure. I wish you all the best.

Carla

Vibrant? I like that. Our first property was a 4-plex and it, like Carla`s, was filled with `vibrant` tenants -the worst of whom moved in between the time we had an accepted offer and the time we closed the deal. In Michelle`s post she calls them bad boys. All I know is by the time we got all of the vibrants out of our building we had plenty of clean up and repair.

Lesson learned for us: if you opt for a longer closing, don`t assume that the tenants you saw when you walked through the building are the same ones that you will inherit!!

(...and now that we have completed renovated and filled the place with nicer tenants, we will be offering it for sale this year via the REIN classifieds.)

SusanPenner

Registered
Hi Donna:

I`m in the same boat as you ....I`m just starting out investing and like you I would love to dive into 4-plexes and 8 plexes. After listening to REIN`s multiplex CD`s (which are amazing!) and realizing the learning curve I`ll be facing in property managing the first few prioperties....I`ve decided to look for single residents first and work my way into multi. In simple Monopoly terms: 3 green houses allows you to get the red hotel!!
style_emoticons

Susan Penner

JeffSmith

Registered
QUOTE (SusanPenner @ Jan 11 2008, 09:25 PM) Hi Donna:

I`m in the same boat as you ....I`m just starting out investing and like you I would love to dive into 4-plexes and 8 plexes. After listening to REIN`s multiplex CD`s (which are amazing!) and realizing the learning curve I`ll be facing in property managing the first few prioperties....I`ve decided to look for single residents first and work my way into multi. In simple Monopoly terms: 3 green houses allows you to get the red hotel!!
style_emoticons

Susan Penner

JeffSmith

Registered
Hi Donna,

How about 3 or more condos in the same apartment building or towhouses in the same complex. You can get the feel for the building from a management point of view and perhaps continue investing in the building in the future eventually you will have a multi unit building.

Kimberly

Registered
My goal when I started in REIN was to purchase a multiplex as my first investment, hearing that collecting more than one rent was financially prudent should you lose a tenant, as other rents will cover your costs. So, I purchased a triplex and have been on a learning curve like fellow REIN members about interresidential issues from levels of heating, to driveway clearning, to noise at late hours... small stuff but important to my tenants. Other than some minor repairs it runs itself with an occassional injection of peace keeping on my part.

Being a REIN member for just over a year, along the way at REIN meetings I speak with numerous other members to learn about their investment portfolio and ask questions about why they invested in particular properties and their learnings from it. Armed with this accumulated information, I decided I needed experience with renovating - to learn the costs, timelines, outside help needed etc and I wanted to try a single family home. Sure enough my next purchase was a 45 yr old foreclosure single family home that I determined needed updating and renovations to a level that would attract tenants at a particular rent level. I invested weeks of `vacation` time, evenings and weekends, hired a small handyman and set to work to learn, learn and learn some more. When the home was at its worst, holes in the floors and walls for upgraded plumbing and wiring, I answered a young couple`s ad on kijiji explaining to them just what I was creating with my property. They came by, I sold my vision, they had faith in my promises of what I was going to do.. and to date I have great tenants in a home that I would consider living in myself.

What I learned from this second purchase, is that I preferred the single family home property over the triplex, as like Carla, once it`s rented to great tenants, it runs itself with the occassional touch base management and you don`t get involved in interresidential issues which can be major time wasters. For my 3rd purchase I decided to purchase a single family home again but this time something newer ie less renovations. Also along the way, as I am learning the REIN processes, I have honed the area I want to purchase in and I`m becoming the expert I need to be in that area. Have had this 3rd property for a month - in the midst of some renovations, but no where near the extent of the 2nd purchase. As stated in other emails, the challenge with single family homes is that until it is rented you carry the whole expense load. I believe and practise the law of attraction, and have put out the exact type of tenant I want. Amazing how quickly this works. Part of my plan has also been to manage my properties on my own, again to get the experience I need before I hire a property manager somewhere down the road.

My strategy is to learn from my involvement as a REIN member, to listen and ask questions of those members more experienced than me, then to set into action investments I can learn from, which along the way helps me to build and refine my own investment strategies overtime.

Until you purchase your first property it`s all theory and book knowledge. Talk to many members, decide on your own plan for your first purchase, learn all you can from that one, then refine your next purchase strategy. Overtime you will develop what works for you. What we learn from REIN helps to eliminate many but not all hiccups along the way. Those kind of odds I can work with.

I find the more involved you are with all aspects of owning income properties, the more people cross your life`s journey and opportunities present themselves. Over the past month I have been presented with the opportunity for a private triplex deal with 100% VTB, interest only for 5 years, to be closed later this spring .... yet another learning opportunity. I like to complete working on one investment property before I move on to the next, as I also work full time outside of my income property business.

Take the plunge. It`s heart pounding, scary yet so exhilarating knowing you are in control of your future.

Kimberly

Top Bottom