tenant gives notice two days late

RisingWealth

Registered
I was given notice by my tenant two days late and am wondering if I am within my rights to hold back any damage deposit?
I can`t seem to find direct reference to this topic through the BC residential tenancy branch. The two days delayed the ability to have the suite listed in the first and second newspaper editions of the month. These are what I find to be the most productive. Of course I was covered on the net, but I get most of the action from the first few print ads.
I`m just trying to figure out what`s fair.

Mark

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (RisingWealth @ Aug 1 2009, 12:17 PM) I was given notice by my tenant two days late and am wondering if I am within my rights to hold back any damage deposit?
yes

ChrisDavies

Registered
Officially they missed the notice period, and would have to give notice for the end of the next month. That dosen`t give you the right to hold back DD that I`m aware of.

However, is it really that big a pain that they`re 2 days over? It`ll be better to get them out and new people in, and 2 days isn`t going to put that big a dent in things. The potential for a protracted, messy exit is a much larger risk.

AlisonKeighan

Registered
What I`ve done in the past is advise the tenants that they are responsible for the next month`s rent, but if I am successful at renting it out for the 1st of the month, they would not have to pay.

Alison

RisingWealth

Registered
2 days isn`t going to put that big a dent in things. The potential for a protracted, messy exit is a much larger risk.

The big dent comes from missing the prime ad time, however i am trying to rationalize the situation because this renter was above average up until this, so perhaps you are right, but those two days are very important to me, thanks for the input.

What I`ve done in the past is advise the tenants that they are responsible for the next month`s rent, but if I am successful at renting it out for the 1st of the month, they would not have to pay.

Alison

I have heard that before and wonder if it is legal in BC? And what chance is there of getting any more from the tenant than half the rent(damage deposit)?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (alikeighan @ Aug 1 2009, 01:36 PM) What I`ve done in the past is advise the tenants that they are responsible for the next month`s rent, but if I am successful at renting it out for the 1st of the month, they would not have to pay.
indeed .. and then keep the DD if you can`t rent it ..

RisingWealth

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Aug 1 2009, 03:45 PM) indeed .. and then keep the DD if you can`t rent it ..

Thanks to Thomas Chris and Alison for your input, it`s much appreciated.

Mark