Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant has hydro and gas disconnected

canadablue

Registered
Hi

This forum is great help. I find myself reading the posts daily.

I would like to know if anybody has opinion on following situation:

Tenant has been in the unit for a year now and has utilities on her name. Rent is paid on time and directly to me
from Social Services, so no issues there. However, I just found out that tenant had her hydro and gas disconnected due to
non payment. Tenant still lives there and did not give me official notice but said that social services is looking for a
new place for her to live. She might move but I don`t know when and if.
Should I be concerned that utilities are cut off? Should I inform case worker that there is no power or gas in the apartment
because there are 2 children living there as well?
It`s ok during summer weater but when winter comes if tenant is still there and there is no heat I am worried for pipes. Also I would like to be able to find a suitable tenant before winter.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

MikeMcCrae

Registered
Yes I would defiantly talk to her social worker. There is likely safety hazards due to using candles etc. and if the smoke detectors are wired in then they would not be functional.

PropertySolution

Registered
I have had the same situation a few years ago and when I talked with social services they said they could not intervene unless the client asked for help. Their reasoning was that we cannot dictate how a Tenant lives if they are living in what they consider comfort. Now the biggest difference here is that in my case the person was a single adult with no dependents. I am confident that they may not take the same stance with minor children involved.

I would give a notice to enter (during the day lol) to check out the condition of the unit, if the fridge is not running, has the food been removed, things like this.

I might not be to quick to stop the Tenant from moving, she could become a bigger Dependant than Tenant down the road. If SS is going to move her they will correct things for her and you should not have any moral issues to deal with.

Good Luck

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (canadablue @ May 31 2010, 12:06 PM) ...
Should I be concerned that utilities are cut off? Should I inform case worker that there is no power or gas in the apartment
because there are 2 children living there as well? ..
yes, to both questions ....

because
a) it is (usually) in the lease and therefore she is in breach of the lease agreement, and
b) it is unsafe, especially if kids are involved and if in cold climates

Cannice

Registered
for one if she said her social worker s is looking for housing for her , I think she is outright lying
her welfare workers does not do that and if she has disabilites and has a social worker they still dont often look for housing
shje is probally just trying to get you to think she is moving so you wont file a eviction
the longer you wait the longer the eviction
and yes you can evict her one if it is in your lease
the other is in the winter the pipe can freese so she would have till the fall and you can evict her for a hazzard
and yes the LTB dose and can evict on these grounds

invst4profit

Registered
Also if she should be late with her rent or stop paying report it to her case worker immediately. They will suspend her benefits until she pays you all rent owing.
Also check with your insurance company as no utilities may have a negative impact on your coverage.

DaveRhydderch

Registered
Another aspect is that it cost $ to go those things turned back on. I assume she doesn`t have the money to pay for it....

Cannice

Registered
QUOTE (Cannice @ Jun 3 2010, 10:18 AM) for one if she said her social worker s is looking for housing for her , I think she is outright lying
her welfare workers does not do that and if she has disabilites and has a social worker they still dont often look for housing
shje is probally just trying to get you to think she is moving so you wont file a eviction
the longer you wait the longer the eviction
and yes you can evict her one if it is in your lease
the other is in the winter the pipe can freese so she would have till the fall and you can evict her for a hazzard
and yes the LTB dose and can evict on these grounds

yes if she doesnt pay rent and is on assistance hyou can fax the welfare hotline to say she is not paying rent
some landlords go as far as faxing the N4 papers to the welfare hotline fax number
Ontairo works has had so many landlords do that now they are starting to react and stop payment to the clients til they pay rent
keeping them honest

Top Bottom