Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant`s Toilet is partially plugged

BJPastor

Registered
What do other landlords or property managers do? Charge the tenant full price for the plumbing service call? Charge tenant 1/2 and eat the other 1/2?

The tenant moved in about 2 months ago. I've got the move in inspection and we tested the flushing and drainage and proved to be functioning upon the tenants move in.

Any comments are appreciated.

B.J.

REINteam

Registered
Hi B.J.

Guess it depends on the nature of the blockage. IF it were something faulty with the plumbing/toilet I would eat the cost...but if it is related to improper usage I would send the bill to the tenants as outlined in my lease (which they initial next to when we sit down and go over the obligations). What does your lease say and what caused the clog?

Mike Milovick

Registered
Tenant should cover entire cost. Toilet was provided in unclogged state. Something has happened since.

BJPastor

Registered
My lease says:

8. CONDITION OF PREMISES: RESIDENT acknowledges that he/she has examined the

premises and that said premises, fixtures, plumbing, heating, electrical facilities, all items listed on the attached property condition checklist, if any, and/or all other items provided by OWNER are all clean, and in good satisfactory condition except as may be indicated elsewhere in this Agreement. RESIDENT agrees to keep the premises and all items in good order and good condition and to immediately pay for costs to repair and/or replace any portion of the above damaged by RESIDENT, his guests and/or invitees, except as provided by law. At the termination of this Agreement, all of above items in this provision shall be returned to OWNER in clean and good condition except for reasonable wear and tear and the premises shall be free of all personal property and trash not belonging to OWNER. It is agreed that all dirt, holes, tears, burns, and stains of any size or amount in the carpets, drapes, walls, fixtures, and/or any other part of the premises, do not constitute reasonable wear and tear. RESIDENT to shampoo carpets upon vacating premises.

I've got my plumber looking at what caused the blockage. If it is something the tenant has done, such as put paper towel down the toiler, then I'll be charging the service call back to the tenant. If my plumber finds that it actually is a faulty toilet, I'll then pay for the cost.

Thanks for your help,

B.J.

Top Bottom