Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenants used all his garbage tags

Nir

REIN Member
Hi,
I have a plex in Orillia where the tenants used all the garbage tags they got from the city.
Should I buy and give them more tags or ask them to go to the city centre, buy more from them and pay for them themselves?

It`s not about the money - they only cost around 10$ per 5 tags. It`s about being on the same page with the city who is trying to encourage people to use less garbage tags by recycling more.

THANKS.

invst4profit

Registered
Disposing of garbage is a tenants personal expense. Same as hydro, water, food etc. Is there a special reason why you would consider taking on the responsibility.

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Greg, it`s just that the city sent them to me to give the tenants so the tenants are informing me they need more. also, I wasn’t sure whether as a tenant you may have additional rights such as not paying for garbage tags where rent is "all inclusive" for example. anyway, a minor issues as mentioned. Regards, N.

housedoc

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Oct 18 2010, 06:54 PM)
Disposing of garbage is a tenants personal expense. Same as hydro, water, food etc. Is there a special reason why you would consider taking on the responsibility.

It may be the tenants responsibility to put out their garbage.

The expense is charged to the property and is the responibility of the owner.

housingrental

Registered
I`m not sure I agree with Greg`s opinion but can`t think of any case or interpretation relating to this ever.

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Let`s call a spade a spade. But, also take into account that I have never had to deal with garbage tags.

No matter whose legal responsibility the tags may be, ultimately, we are responsible for our own properties. What will the effect be if you do not buy the tags for te tenant? Will garbage begin to build up on/in the property? How many pick ups will a bundle of tags include?

As an aside comment, this sounds like a very cumbersome procedure established by some bureaucrat. What happens when those with fewer financial resources can`t afford the tags?

My first reaction to this query was that, as Greg said, it is part of the cost of the tenants` living, and the tenants should pay for them. I would try to get them to do that. However, the precedent has been set by giving them the first batch. You are probably stuck paying for the tags for this tenant. Doing so will "ensure" your property will not become a garbage dump.

Will ON allow the insertion of a clause in the lease requiring tenants to buy their own tags? That may be a solution for the future.

invst4profit

Registered
The LTB in Ontario does not recognise any language in a lease outside of what is stated in the RTA. You may add any language to the lease you chose but nothing is enforceable. The Ontario LTB does not recognise contract law.

Nir

REIN Member
Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Logically, tenants should pay for any additional garbage tag they need. Otherwise, tenants would have ZERO motivation to use less of them. this would contradict city`s goal reflected in the fact they only provided 30 tags/unit for free this year VS 40 tag/unit last year.
it`s a simple method - the motivation to recycle more comes from the need to pay for additional garbage tags. you take that away (meaning making it free for the tenants again), you lose the stimulus.

Regards,
Neil

CarrieKoch

Registered
We just give out a small amount at a time. Like 2 months worth. Then they have to ask for more. We have 5 doors in Orillia now so lots of tags to go around. Now I just keep em in my glove box and if someone requests more I drop off. What other PM's have noticed in the past is that they do get used up rather quick if you give them all out at once. But if you have to ask / or go get your own you are more cautious of useage.
QUOTE (investmart @ Oct 19 2010, 08:29 PM)
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Logically, tenants should pay for any additional garbage tag they need. Otherwise, tenants would have ZERO motivation to use less of them. this would contradict city's goal reflected in the fact they only provided 30 tags/unit for free this year VS 40 tag/unit last year. it's a simple method - the motivation to recycle more comes from the need to pay for additional garbage tags. you take that away (meaning making it free for the tenants again), you lose the stimulus. Regards, Neil

Berubeland

Registered
This is a problem in Toronto also, there`s a divide between what`s theoretically possible and real life. I even have problems with my own garbage. In my case it`s the recycling that builds up. It happens on a regular basis that I have more recycling than the bin will hold. The worst is probably the cardboard boxes. My husband likes to keep them for a while in case the product is defective so it sits in the garage.

Last month I loaded up my van with left over boxes all folded and sorted and brought them to the dump where disposal under a certain weight is free. I still have the washer dryer boxes from last year in my garage.

If you have extra recycling that doesn`t fit in the bin or god forbid you`re away or forget the garbage pick up one week, you`re in deep doodoo. Oh and you have to love the smell of the organics bin in the hot summer after a week.

As a landlord the major problem is that tenants will put the garbage on the property somewhere. Then you have to clean it up after they move. Meanwhile it attracts raccoons and rats. Uggh.

I`m pretty sure I`m not the only one that finds the garbage rules and regs overly complicated and restrictive.

Carrie`s way of dealing with it is the most practical and if you need more tags you get them, at least you get free labor to dispose of the garbage.

terri

Registered
QUOTE (Berubeland @ Oct 20 2010, 06:11 AM)
This is a problem in Toronto also, there's a divide between what's theoretically possible and real life. I even have problems with my own garbage. In my case it's the recycling that builds up. It happens on a regular basis that I have more recycling than the bin will hold. The worst is probably the cardboard boxes. My husband likes to keep them for a while in case the product is defective so it sits in the garage.

Last month I loaded up my van with left over boxes all folded and sorted and brought them to the dump where disposal under a certain weight is free. I still have the washer dryer boxes from last year in my garage.

If you have extra recycling that doesn't fit in the bin or god forbid you're away or forget the garbage pick up one week, you're in deep doodoo. Oh and you have to love the smell of the organics bin in the hot summer after a week.

As a landlord the major problem is that tenants will put the garbage on the property somewhere. Then you have to clean it up after they move. Meanwhile it attracts raccoons and rats. Uggh.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that finds the garbage rules and regs overly complicated and restrictive.

Carrie's way of dealing with it is the most practical and if you need more tags you get them, at least you get free labor to dispose of the garbage.

the city of Toronto will bring you a larger recycling bin if you call them. If the extra large is not enough for your household use, then they will allow you 2 bins. It's in the city's best interest to promote recycling so they will give you what ever you need. Garbage on the other hand is another story.

RE: toronto city garbage bins, I usually pay the extra $$ to get one that is a bit larger than I think my tenants will need, that way I'm not bothered about extra tags. The difference between the x-large and the small is only $12/mo.

Terri

eddyb1978

Registered
I had the same challenges in Newmarket. We stress to tenants prior to move in that it`s their responsibility however i had few tenants that did not comply and the city sent me a warning letter.... Although we try to get the tenant to cover that and if not we have to get in there and take care of the problem; via issuing tags; to avoid penalties from property standards dept..
Haven`t had much issues in Barrie so far ( knocking on wood!! :- ) )

Cheers,
Eddy

Top Bottom