Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Same 4 Cats

wgraham

REIN Member
I dare say that this message board has become predictable, repetitive and boring!

We get the same 4 cats (Invest4profit, rickson9, bizzaro86 and Thomasbeyer) bantering back and forth on almost every topic. Nothing personal against any of these contributors but its like watching same sitcom over and over again....at some point in time its no longer funny.

Its time for some new blood and new perspectives! How do we attract some fresh life to this forum?

A couple of ideas:

• Give some incentive to new and thoughtful posts by new members.
  • make finding the forum and posting easier! I have to admit that it is a little hidden and not intuitive.
    more social media interaction?
    have a like or dislike (youtube) type button on each post. Would limit the "I agree" "You suck" posts
Anyway...just my two cents...take it for what it is worth or the appraised value. What ever you think is more relevant :)

GaryMcGowan

Registered
"Like"

Well said Wade, I would say most users are readers and not posters. It would be great to get more questions, comments, and ideas from all who visited the site. I have read some great ideas here, have had many questions answered just by reading the posts. I also have contributed to some posts and have some great feedback.

I have not seen a poll option, perhaps that could be implemented.

Maybe a round table of a couple topics could be discussed on a weekly basis.

TodorYordanov

Registered
If it wasn't for the 4 CATS + Adam this board will be dead, forget boring.

How about you get 5 "You suck" clicks on a post from 5 unique users and you are blocked from posting for a week?

REIN can do better to steer (make) members go to myreinspace . A weekly email to all members with summary of the most active discussions perhaps.

Biggest problem is that more people are not engaging in the conversation, posting question and ideas, what works and what does not.

How do we collect all the wisdom from all the posts over the years and put them in a system or a complete reference format on each topic that pops up over and over again? Any volunteers? Perhaps a group of volunteers. The critical documents section also needs some cleaning up and organizing.

bizaro86

Registered

MemberSupport

Registered
Interesting post!

I logged in this morning and immediately clicked on "View New Posts" as I usually do. In the list of the 15 most recent posts, there were 14 unique contributors (none from the list of the four frequent posters identified above), and topics from all across the spectrum of subjects - great variety!

The REIN office has been focused for many months on improving myREINspace and increasing usage. Here are three examples of such improvements:
  • we have manually created accounts for REIN Members who hadn't already created one for themselves
  • for the last number of months, every one of our regular emails to members includes links to the most popular/useful myREINspace threads recently posted
    more and more we are publishing audio downloads (interviews with subject matter experts, presentations from workshops, etc...) in the pages of myREINspace

We are also undergoing a complete site re-fresh designed to make the forum more user-friendly and easier to navigate. Those changes are in final review right now and should be published within the next two weeks. You will certainly notice it when those changes take place!

So you can see that the forum managers here at REIN are as intent as our members are in promoting the usage of the site by all. We would love to see all Forum Members posting weekly or monthly, but of course, like any other forum, the 80/20 rule probably applies (80% of content posted by 20% of users).

Of course there are definitely some power users, and there is no doubt that the four you mentioned contribute often. That they have the liberty to comment on any topic and take any position is one of the fantastic things about the forum, and that any reader has the liberty to pay attention to or disregard any post is just as cool.

I wonder if there is any site that has every answered as many real estate related questions as myREINspace has...there is fantastic value in the scope and depth of content that has been built up over the years. As we continue to improve the site, let's hope that the forum community continues to contribute meaningful content.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to improve the site. Probably the most effective way to offer suggestions regarding the forum is to send an email to [email protected]. Your feedback is appreciated!

RedlineBrett

Registered
Most of the threads originate from new members looking for answers or advice. The power users are smart and are on the forum several times a day and answer these questions quickly. Lather rinse repeat.

Everyone benefits from the process, for the most part. Newbie gets their question answered and the PU gets to promote themselves a bit more, raise their profile and perhaps drive more traffic to their business.

If you want new, exciting threads you need to create controversy. You're just not going to see that all that much on this forum because its a member paid service with heavy moderation. I think that's a good thing in all honesty... keeps the forum from degrading which is very common with anonymous posters that want to make it personal rather than keep it about the topic.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=MemberSupport]

I wonder if there is any site that has every answered as many real estate related questions as myREINspace has...there is fantastic value in the scope and depth of content that has been built up over the years.

I agree !!

The only other one is Ozzie's www.realestatetalks.com website and it has very moderate use, primarily in the "BC real estate" section .. and almost nowhere else !

Like in life: it has much to offer .. but one has to avail oneself to its opportunities. Some make a fortune .. while others complain about politics or the weather only !

Speaking of the weather .. but I digress ..

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=RedlineBrett]Most of the threads originate from new members looking for answers or advice. The power users are smart and are on the forum several times a day and answer these questions quickly. Lather rinse repeat.

Everyone benefits from the process, for the most part. Newbie gets their question answered and the PU gets to promote themselves a bit more, raise their profile and perhaps drive more traffic to their business.

If you want new, exciting threads you need to create controversy. You're just not going to see that all that much on this forum because its a member paid service with heavy moderation. I think that's a good thing in all honesty... keeps the forum from degrading which is very common with anonymous posters that want to make it personal rather than keep it about the topic.

Much wisdom here from a young guy !!

INDEED !!

wgraham

REIN Member
Brett and Thomas,

trust me I get why some people post and comment. It isn't simply for the love of posting for the most part :) If I am wrong feel free to remove all links back to your websites, facebook pages and twitter accounts (but something tells me they will stay) :)

I am not saying the topics should change but you can't tell me we, the largest network of investors in canada, only have a handful of guys who are willing to contribute!

The tone and message is usually the same for each post which becomes stale after awhile.

I am suggesting that the forum needs some new blood and energy to give it some vibrancy. I am not looking for controversy! I am looking for new ideas and perspectives!

I am in favour of the moderation! It keeps things positive and moving forward.

But I know I contribute and check less these days because the conversation has become stale in my humble opinion!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=wgraham] conversation has become stale in my humble opinion!

Real estate is meant to be STALE .. BORING .. PREDICTABLE !!!!

For excitement I recommend sky diving or bungee jumping, or rock climbing in your case, Wade !

I find the converstaion rather UNboring most of the time .. as each new person can learn something and each answer, even if insulting or controversial by others, can be thought provoking.

I haven't even posted anything on global "warming" for over 3 weeks !!

I love my 4-5% ROI on mortgage paydown alone .. plus equity upside plus cash-flow !!

This blog is win/win, for people who ask and people who answers and for REIN who gets (marketable) traffic / new members, too !

WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE ??

TerryKruse

Registered
I think we should keep the like or dislike or scoring buttons off the forum.

The same 4 cats keep the forum going and they are contributing answers rather than asking for help. You can usually respect their opinions as they have the experience to back their talk.

My real estate has become boring these days so I haven't posted much... maybe that is the way it should be... :0)

Terry

2ndstory

Registered
I am finding the same with Canadian Real Estate Magazine. I am a subscriber. They phoned me the other day and I told them I felt the articles were much the same from issue to issue. I like the magazine and will continue to subscribe, and I think they are doing a great job, but I would like to see something new once in a while. They also seem to have the same 4 cats contributing articles. Last issue was interesting with the interview with W. Brett Wilson.

At the beginning of starting a real estate investment career you are full of questions, it seems like there is info overload, but after a while you start to search for something new. Some strategy you haven't tried, creative financing, etc. My other beef is that 90% of the focus is on Ontario and Alberta.

As for the forum, people are very polite on this forum. That's part of the beauty of it, but if you want drama and heated discussion you aren't going to get it on here. I'm not a REIN member, so I'm not sure what's happening in the members only sections.

Nik

rogerl

Registered
This is interesting. I am a member of 2 other forums, they are not related to RE. But the dynamics are exactly the same, I am new here but here is what is common of these forums:

- There are always new members joining.

- I would say 99% of those are 'novice' to the forum's theme and they ask questions.

- The same questions keep comming up, but sometimes with a twist.

- There is a limited set of experienced members that will answer, on one site there are about 10 'experts'.

- There many users who are not experienced who will share comments and they are not always correct.

- The threads often morph to something different than what the original post was about.

- The same subjects return, it may not be cyclical but everything comes back.

- There are very generous members who are truely there to help, there are others who want to be seen.

- The members disapear for a while and then return. Some leave with an official exit post.

I have seen some of the experienced members fight between them on very theoretical discussions, (over 10, 15 pages of nitpicking); a lot having to do with trying to show who knows more, who is correct and who is wrong. Some have been banned because of their comments.

MOVING FROM THE REGULAR QUESTION-ANSWER PATTERN

In one of the sites there are sometimes 'competitions' open between members willing to participate, these are for fun and forces members to think/research and hopefully grow. For this RE site I don't konw what something similar would be... quizzes, ventures, mentoring opportunities...

There is also areas where members have joined to create a 'knowledge section' on different subjects, for example in RE it could be, a list of must-read RE books, (all REIN books included of course ;) ), useful sites, how to research an area, find data... I am just writing anything here, I am not the expert, this could be any area that is often asked/discussed. Basically a wiki on specific subjects created with the shared efforts of the 'cats'.

On 'mentoring opportunities' above that would be great for a few lucky beginners that are able to invest but not yet having all the skills; a chance to invest with a trustworthy experienced member and learn, if anyone has benevolent aspirations this could be a win-win!

In the end I don't use these sites for entertainement but for reference and to get help and try and accumulate knowledge. Just like the 'experts' on the other 2 sites, I am very grateful to the 'cats' who take the time to share their knowledge.

housingrental

Registered
This is an outrageous and disappointing post Wayde

You should be ashamed of yourself

[quote user=wgraham]

We get the same 4 cats (Invest4profit, rickson9, bizzaro86 and Thomasbeyer) bantering back and forth on

RedlineBrett

Registered
[quote user=wgraham]

But I know I contribute and check less these days because the conversation has become stale in my humble opinion!

It's probably getting stale for you because you've been around for a few years and are getting more experienced. Hence less new stuff for you.

Remember how cool it all was to you when you first heard about RE? I certainly do - I couldn't get enough and I read pretty well every 'how to get rich' book out there.

Also - I'm sure there are investors that are on the 'cutting edge' within their markets that probably don't want to share it openly for fear of two things:

1. That they aren't expert enough to provide advice on it and will get discredited by someone who is

2. They don't want to ruin their competative edge.

I certainly save some things for 'clients only' and I don't divulge all of my business interests and how I make my money. Somehow I suspect all the truly enterprising investors are keeping their cards close to their chest because they don't feel obligated to tell everyone of the opportunities they have uncovered through their own hard work and research.

housingrental

Registered
Thank you Todor

[quote user=TodorYordanov]If it wasn't for the 4 CATS + Adam this board will be dead, forget boring.

housingrental

Registered
I do not like this idea

It will stifle debate

Half of my posts will have 5 people attacking it so I'll be regularly blocked - and other frequent posters like me

[quote user=TodorYordanov]

How about you get 5 "You suck" clicks on a post from 5 unique users and you are blocked from posting for a week?

housingrental

Registered
I think you've nailed it Brett

The heavy handed moderation is the issue

REIN office - If you notice that half of my posts that you've deleted or edited were also the most posted in and viewed topics - but REIN has taken the position to destroy my contribution to benefit the community + help drive traffic to REIN forum site - The policy of censoring debates or controversial topics should be changed

[quote user=RedlineBrett]Most of the threads originate from new members looking for answers or advice. The power users are smart and are on the forum several times a day and answer these questions quickly. Lather rinse repeat.

MemberSupport

Registered
The purpose of this forum is to create an incredible online resource for real estate investors - a place they can go to get their real estate questions answered in a supportive environment, without being ridiculed or patronized. Useful information, tips and tricks, shared experiences, and expert advice - those are the objectives. 99.9 % of the posts on this forum contribute positively towards that purpose.

From time to time, controversial debate arises. That's okay, since public debate on tricky issues is often heathy, informative, and even entertaining.

REIN does not moderate/delete contributions to topics because they are controversial. REIN moderates/deletes posts that work against the goal of providing a safe haven for real esate questions to be asked and answered.

REIN, and the users of this forum appreciate all contributions that support the "safe haven" ideal.

kfort

Registered
I love the idea of a "like" button however it seems redundant almost with the 5 star system. The "dislike" button presents some problems.

I can say with absolute sincerity that as someone early in my real estate career I appreciate the positive nature of this forum. I've never seen a group more willing to be respectful even when I post something ridiculously "rookie" sounding.

Perhaps an "agree" or "+1" button (w/ running total) in addition to the 5 star system? Similar to the "like" button but possibly a more clear intention. My $.02

Top Bottom