Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tiny Houses

Wilma18828

New Forum Member
REIN Member
Many of you may not know that I am very passionate about #TinyHouse and have a vision of investing and developing multiple tiny house communities in 4-5 countries globally, including Canada.

I believe this may be a potential solution for seniors who do not want to live in seniors home but want to live in a close knit community with each house 6 ft apart. This may also be great for young adults whom would like to own a home much sooner than having a 25-30 years mortgage.

Anyone of you whom may be interested in exploring this with me, please feel free to comment below.

Also, for those of you who are interested in more cash flow from your real estate investment, #TinyHouse can also be an Auxiliary Dwelling Unit (ADU) like a garage suite, garden suite, laneway house, coach house or backyard suites. They can be rented out and add extra income for your real estate investments too.

Would you be open to having a tiny home on all your properties for additional income?

Best regards,

Wilma Li, BA, CPHR, Prosci Change Management Certified, SHRM-SCP

Director

Business Knowledge Integration Inc.

403-708-6817

Last edited:

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Tiny houses have their niche use, especially as secondary homes in houses with a big enough yard or in rural communities where land is cheap. In large cities with high land prices they make no sense today.

It’s the latest spin on mobile homes though. We use to call them trailers - in trailer parks. Then they called them mobile homes, or mobile home communities. (I own a few of them) Then modular homes. Lately pre-fab homes or pre-engineered homes.

They’re not cheaper per sq ft than normal homes but faster to build / bring in. That is the only major advantages. They might even be somewhat mobile, like so called “mobile” homes who typically do not get moved around a lot once installed.

Tiny homes also appeal to the eco-zealots who espouse a minimalist lifestyle ie low eco-footprint. Or a niche product for the very poor indeed, in rural communities where land is cheap. Unclear why one would pay the same price though for a tiny home vs one twice to triple the size ie a normal pre-fab home aka mobile home aka trailer.

Two storey pre-fab homes make sense, too as more efficient land use. They used them in the Munich 1976 Olympics to house athletes. I lived close by for years as a student. Very efficiently laid out for a single person or couple. A few pictures and story here https://wanderella.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/candy-cube-living-munich-student-village/

Last edited:

TangoWhiskey

Registered
A less well known aspect of tiny homes outside of cities is that they are frequently mounted on a trailer in order to make them a 'mobile' home. This allows them to avoid municipal zoning requirements for sewer and power hook up for use as a house. You can park it anywhere just like a RV. The danger comes in when you buy the piece of land to put it on and then trigger the requirements for a septic field or other sewer disposal system. The net effect in rural places with land is to give you the fixed costs of larger houses but concentrated in way smaller sq ft of usable living space plus you need a vehicle to live there usually.
A carriage house on a big lot or garage conversion to one where allowed is a great idea to increase density or add income. But I think its a tough model for long term rentals as most people just run out of interest in living in 200 or less sq ft.
I stayed in an apt once in Paris that was 5 sq meters, or 60 sq ft, run by a Canadian investor who had developed a niche in Paris making that size short term rental units out of obsolete ground floor offices that had 12-14 foot ceilings you could build a loft in for the bed with a ladder. Super smart. But not something to live in long term, and she had to fly under the regulatory radar. Tiny houses are great for cute short term rentals, not long term.

Top Bottom