Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tired of tenants cranking up the heat?

jscipioni

Registered
Hi all,

If you have rental properties that the tenants control the temperature and you pay the bills, then you need to check this product out.

It`s an in-line maximum temperature control device that sits between the thermostat and the furnace. So it doesn`t matter what your tenants set the thermostat to, it will not get any higher than the device that is set to be a maximum of 73 degrees Fahrenheit. The price seems reasonable enough to offset the savings........ that is if you have tenants that would do that kind of stuff ......

Here`s the link ..... http://www.prothermostats.com/product.php?...mp;category=352

Care enough to share!

Joe Scipioni

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (jscipioni @ Dec 2 2008, 10:14 AM)
Hi all,

If you have rental properties that the tenants control the temperature and you pay the bills, then you need to check this product out.

It's an in-line maximum temperature control device that sits between the thermostat and the furnace. So it doesn't matter what your tenants set the thermostat to, it will not get any higher than the device that is set to be a maximum of 73 degrees Fahrenheit. The price seems reasonable enough to offset the savings........ that is if you have tenants that would do that kind of stuff ......

Here's the link ..... http://www.prothermostats.com/product.php?...mp;category=352

Care enough to share!

Joe Scipioni

Interesting...have you tried using it? How did your tenants react? (Did they know?)

billf

Registered
In Ontario,

There are a lot of local utilities that are part of the "PEAKSAVER" program. It lets the local utility put in thermostat that the can cycle down wirelessly during peak consumption periods during the high AC uses in the summer. The bonus is that they will install this in your house and pay you $50 on top of that. They give you a password and you control the thermostat from your living room on the internet.

https://www.peaksaver.com/

BillF

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (jscipioni @ Dec 2 2008, 10:14 AM)
Hi all,

It's an in-line maximum temperature control device that sits between the thermostat and the furnace. So it doesn't matter what your tenants set the thermostat to, it will not get any higher than the device that is set to be a maximum of 73 degrees Fahrenheit. The price seems reasonable enough to offset the savings........ that is if you have tenants that would do that kind of stuff ......

Here's the link ..... http://www.prothermostats.com/product.php?...mp;category=352

Care enough to share!

Joe Scipioni

In case you're wondering (as I was) you can also use this with a boiler. I emailed - here is my question and the reply:

On 12/01/2008 you asked the following question at prothermostats.com

`Would this also work with a boiler?`

ReedB.
from prothermostats.com
said:

`yes, this will work in about any low voltage circuit that controls any heat source, including a boiler. the exception would be Zone Valves (like Taco) that require over 1 amp or power stealing thermostats (such as Honeywell T8775A).`

jackie

Registered
QUOTE (Nicola @ Dec 3 2008, 09:19 AM) In case you`re wondering (as I was) you can also use this with a boiler. I emailed - here is my question and the reply:On 12/01/2008 you asked the following question at prothermostats.com

"Would this also work with a boiler?"

ReedB.
from prothermostats.com
said:

"yes, this will work in about any low voltage circuit that controls any heat source, including a boiler. the exception would be Zone Valves (like Taco) that require over 1 amp or power stealing thermostats (such as Honeywell T8775A)."

FYI for anyone with electric baseboard heat... the product will not work with EBB. I posted the Q and this was the A:

“this is a low voltage thermostat. I will NOT work with line voltage electric baseboard heat. We really don`t have anything that will.”

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Lockable thermostat housings are fairly easy to get around. They do not really work as well as one thinks they should.

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (Dan_Eisenhauer @ Dec 4 2008, 11:29 PM)
Lockable thermostat housings are fairly easy to get around. They do not really work as well as one thinks they should.

Lockable thermostats look really ghetto and put a tenant on the defensive, implies untrust... "Oh yeah, think he can screw me and force me to keep the heat at levels I don't want? I'll keep the windows open, that will show him"

Well, at least that's how I was when I was young and stupid... I've changed, I'm not young <giggle>

RF

fisher1

Registered
QUOTE (jackie @ Dec 3 2008, 04:29 PM)
FYI for anyone with electric baseboard heat... the product will not work with EBB. I posted the Q and this was the A:

"this is a low voltage thermostat. I will NOT work with line voltage electric baseboard heat. We really don't have anything that will."

I am an electrician and I know that you could make this work with baseboard heat. What you need to do is install a contactor in line with the baseboard cct. Then you install a low voltage transformer and run the thermostat off of the transformer. When the thermostat reaches its temp the contactor opens and baseboards loose power.

Top Bottom