Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

To rent or sell in Victoria

Speedy

Registered
My wife and I bought a new house (with a 2br mortgage helper) in Victoria for 607k and we were counting on selling our existing house and using the equity (approx. 280k) to pay down on it. But with our March 31st closing date looming ahead and no offers on our house, we are now thinking about renting our existing home. We already have a rental property that has a small positive cash flow. We`ve been given the advise below on how to structure the rental of our home but worry that it will become a negative cash flow property. We would greatly appreciate any feeback on this and/or other possible ideas!

"I have worked the numbers and my first thought would be to refinance your existing home to around 80% of the value – (80% of $530,000) so $424,000. This would give you an extra $180K or so. With this money I would suggest paying off any unsecured debt (like line of credit and credit cards), then using the remainder for closing costs and the down payment for you new home (at least 20% down on 607,000, so $121,400). To make things “cash-flow”, I would say to extend the amortization to 40 years on your existing home and at a blended rate your payments would be around $2130 of the $424,000. You would then have a mortgage of $485,600 (or less) on your new home and payments on a 40 year amortization would be around $2650. In this instance we would leave your existing rental property “as is”, and maybe look to do something when the mortgage comes up for renewal in November 2008."

Thanks - Speedy.

ApexQI

Registered
Crunch your numbers carefully, if you do not want to end up in a neg cash flow position. Figure out what you can rent your home for, consider renting the garage separate if possible. Refi the property so mortgage payment is equal to or less than the rental income. (no neg. cash flow). Then take the equity from the refi and use it to purchase the new home, assuming you can carry the new mortgage at whatever it works out to. This is the safest option I can think of. Hope it helps!

Top Bottom