Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

To what extent do you go in a house inspection before buying?

kevinb668

Registered
Has anyone ever had the sewer lines inspected with the home inspection as part of a condition? If not I would suggest you do, my friend just found out yesterday the sewer line collapsed on one of his rentals he has had for 1 year. Cost to fix $15,000 and the break is under the garage. I am currently looking for another rental unit and I know I will be making that a list item on the house inspection. The city of emdonton charges $150 for the inspection and report. Pretty small price to pay comparatively! The house was built in 1950 in edmonton and the sewer line was made with tar and cardboard!!

Kevin

ChristinaCatana

Ontario Realtor of the Year
REIN Member
It's a good idea to inspect the sewer lines on older homes. I do it before renovating a basement.

You can get a plumber with a camera to look at it. Some plumbers will camera the drain for $100.

biancahamiltonrealtor

Registered
yikes, that is a brutal unexpected expense.

When spending that much money on a home or investment, it's a great idea to inspect, especially if an area is known for poor installations or has large trees on front lawn.

ChrisDavies

Registered
I recommend scoping the line for most things in Edmonton built pre-1960. It depends a bit on the area and the trees - Elm trees are the worst for going after sewer lines.

kevinb668

Registered
Thanks for the info. I am looking for my next investment property and anything that look at all suspect I will be having the city check.

Top Bottom