Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Top 5 Tips to Investing in Hamilton

MrHamilton

Registered
Hello Investors investing in Hamilton or considering investing in Hamilton. I was helping Canadian Real Estate Magazine research Hamilton, Ontario for this January`s article about investing in Hamilton and they also asked that I contrbute what I believe are the top five tips for the Hamilton Investor and here they are:

[list type=decimal][*]Buy positive cash flow investment properties near major transportation improvements, e.g.: Within 800 meters (a 10 minute walk) of a planned light rail transit station or Go station, or a short driving distance to an on/off ramp for the Lincoln Alexander Parkway or the Red Hill Valley Parkway[*]For the Rent to Own investment strategy, look for properties around 250k or less on the Hamilton Mountain. You can then rent them for around $1650/month.[*]For student rentals, investigate the areas around Mohawk College for better cash flow opportunities than the areas around McMaster University. If you do invest in student rentals, check on them regularly. Students don`t like to shovel snow and mow lawns so consider hiring a landscaping company. It`s worth it to maintain the outside of your student rental so you don`t upset the neighbours and give them a reason to call the by-law officers.If you are investing in downtown Hamilton, south of King St and West of James St is West Hamilton - the most desirable area but difficult to cash flow. There are great opportunities in areas of transition in central and East Hamilton south of Main and James North and the West Harbour but be prepared for a tougher tenant profile. Look for renovated homes, especially updated electrical or be prepared to spend to fix it up to attract quality tenants.Focus on nice homes in nice neighbourhoods that will attract nice tenants. The biggest mistake novices make is that they buy cheap properties in rougher areas of town (they are cheap for a reason…). They run into tenant issues and wonder why they ever decided to invest. Get yourself a quality REALTOR who invests, understands investors, knows how to market rentals and will support you through the process so you don`t make the same novice mistakes.[/list type=decimal]And yes, tip #5 is a bit self serving but I`m stating a fact. Everyone on your team should be an investor – most importantly the one finding you investments properties. If you are looking for that someone to fill that spot on your team please feel free to contact me.

Till Next Time – "You can`t fly with the eagles if you hang with the turkies" -Andrew Palhetas

Erwin Szeto

Mike Milovick

Registered
QUOTE (ErwinFromBurlington @ Dec 16 2010, 11:30 PM) "For student rentals, investigate the areas around Mohawk College for better cash flow opportunities than the areas around McMaster University. If you do invest in student rentals, check on them regularly. Students don`t like to shovel snow and mow lawns so consider hiring a landscaping company. It`s worth it to maintain the outside of your student rental so you don`t upset the neighbours and give them a reason to call the by-law officers."

I wouldn`t buy student housing in Hamilton. The majority of the homes are not recognized by the City of Hamilton and do not meet zoning/fire code. They are basically homes that a landlord has carved up for student occupancy. Have a peak at the MacMaster off-campus housing website. Anything that is close to the university is rented on a May to April basis as the landlords are not able to enforce the summer months in a September to August rental.

Furthermore, how does insurance work in an unrecognized set up? I am going to suggest that it doesn`t - as, again, from what I have seen, investors are insuring these homes residentially.

There are better Cities in Ontario and Canada that allow an investor to buy a legal operation - for almost the same money. Hamilton is not the place to set up as a student landlord.

jenny12

Registered
Hello Friends........

Great Tips.Thanks for sharing such wonderful tips with all of us.Keep sharing more tips in the future.

Good Luck

Top Bottom