Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toronto Railpath Update

Donal_Ward_McCarthy

REIN Member
See below received today regarding the railpath from the junction ultimately to go all teh way down to the lakeshore
THanks,
Donal.

Hi Everyone,

I am writing with an update on the excellent meeting that took place Feb 24 at the Metrolinx offices on Bay Street regarding the southern leg of the West Toronto Railpath project. As you know the Northern leg (North of Dundas) is currently under construction with expected completion in the early summer.

I chaired the meeting that included Netami and Hilary (Railpath volunteers), Brian Peltier (Project Executive Lead, Metrolinx) and about six of his senior staff, as well as Alex Shevchuk from City Parks and Rec and Nigel Tahir from City Planning. We discussed the prospects for Railpath to be accommodated south of Dundas Street as we have always envisioned. Metrolinx asked for the meeting in response to the overwhelming amount of feedback on this project they heard at their Open Houses, to better understand what it is we are proposing.

In short, Brian expressed support for our vision and it was agreed, after going over the maps in detail, that there seems to be no significant impediment to constructing the path between Dundas and Queen Street. This is excellent news. The problems that they believe arise south of Queen are primarily two-fold: an extremely congested section of the corridor adjacent to 99 Sudbury Street (a few hundred metres south of Queen), and the fact that south of King the corridor overall is extremely narrow. We will be meeting again in about two weeks after they have had a chance to go back and review their measurements and the City has had a chance to get more info on the various developments underway and approved adjacent to the corridor in that section.

I think it is fair to say that we have definitely turned a corner now, and particularly for the section of the Railpath between Dundas and Queen, it no longer seems to be a matter of "if", but "when". They seem to understand the value Railpath will bring to their project overall. Our follow-up meeting will be the true test, and we don’t plan to concede anything south of Queen, but I think this meeting left all of us very optimistic.

Top Bottom