Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tree roots in toilet pipe - looking for advice

surfermoe

Registered
Hi folks,

My wife and I recently had a blockage in one of our rental units. The toilet and the shower drain (the bathroom is in the basement) backed up. There was a lot of water, and some residue that looked like sand.

A plumber (who we trust) found tree roots when he put a snake down the toilet and shower drain. He says that the blockage will keep happening because the roots from the tree (which is in the front of our house on our property, but close to the sidewalk) will keep growing into the sewage pipes.

The plumber says we can do three things:

1) Change the pipes coming into the house - a big job that will cost close to $15K.

2) Get a company to come in and blow in a liner into the present pipes. This will remove most roots, but roots can still grow into the liner. The cost will be substantially less than changing the pipes.

3) As a band aid solution, change all the three toilets in the building, because the present toilets are water guzzlers and they flush a lot of water down, which encourages the roots to grow. Cost: about $1,500 (this obviously isn't a real solution, but a way to have less water going down the drain).

We're not sure what to do, but are thinking the following:

1) Call a company like Mr. Rooter to put a camera down the pipe to see the damage that has been done by the roots.

2) Take this video to the city (we live in Ottawa) and see if they will allow us to cut down the tree.

Questions:

1) Assuming we are allowed to cut down the tree, will we not have to change the pipes - as the roots will stop growing?

2) If we still have to change the pipes, should we do the whole thing or just blow in a liner?

My wife and I know little about plumbing (I guess that's obvious), so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Moe

DanW

Registered
I have had tree roots infiltrate a sewer line in my own house. The only solution in my case was to replace the line(it was on city property). I would say that you most likely have a serious problem if the roots are getting that close that a plumber can snake roots out of your toilet. I would get a company to put a camera down and see how damaged the sewer line is and then decide if a liner would work or if the line will have to be replaced. I thought those liners were plastic and can not have tree roots grow into them?

I am not sure why it would cost so much (15K) to replace a line from your house to the city line. That should not cost that much unless you are replacing a driveway or something else. The run of pipe would have to be really long to cost 15K.

I would say that replacing the toilets will have little to no affect on tree roots. Of course saving money on water is good though.

wgraham

REIN Member
There are liner companies that will guarantee the work and it is said to be just as effective as replacing the pipe and a lot cheaper. Unfortunately I went through a similar issue a couple of years ago.

Have the city come out and look at the problem. If the roots are not on your side of the property line they will take care of it.

kfort

Registered
Wade do you happen to know the name of the company you used?

wgraham

REIN Member
Sorry Kris but I don't recall their name. I would have to go back and look at my records. Google Sewer Replacement Calgary. They were in the top 2 if I recall.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Not sure about other cities, but in Edmonton if you aren't sure if the problem is on your property, call the City first. They will come out and put a camera down there and determine what and where the problem is. If it is on City property, the entire service call is no charge, and if it is on your property the bill is still less than most plumbers (and includes the scope for free).

The City also informed us of a special chemical that disintegrates little tree roots and they recommended that we use it each spring or fall. I believe it is available through the City, but I haven't tried any yet. I do not know how environmentally friendly it is, but I would hope the City wouldn't encourage something toxic to be poured down the drain.

surfermoe

Registered
Thanks for the helpful info, everyone! This is great information.

Moe

kfort

Registered
Quick heads up, most of those chemicals are very hard on cast iron. I've done it,.. but don't let it sit for too long before thoroughly flushing as per directions. A lot of people think if a little is good a lot must be better... not true in this case!

I did some googling and it looks like some services are available for me here in SK even.

Top Bottom