Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Triplex question in Hamilton

zorant

Registered
Hello to anyone that reads this thread. I found a great area in hamilton that has a triplex for sale, the area surronding this home sells for 300-400km and this house is for sale for low 200ks. Now the catch is that this triplex has a sinking foundation and exterior crack is evident, this is potential going to be my first property however from everything I read and hear you should stay away from properties that have serious problems with their M.E.S components (Mech.Elec.Struc) However even though I`m planning to get a few contractors to estimate the potential problems and the cost to underpin the foundation I`m still worried about the potential investment. Does anybody have experience or advice?

Second question is does anyone know the legal process of converting a single home into a triplex, I don`t mean the OBC requirements i know those but instead legal items with the city?

Thanks to however has an answer or opinion

CamMcCarroll

Registered
See link below for Hamilton zoning requirements for 3 units dwellings
http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/Pla...y-LawNo6593.htm

To convert to a permitted use with the zoning, you would need to apply for a conversion permit thru city of Hamilton engineers in the Building Services Division. The possibility exists if you can meet the relevant zoning requirements and the Ontario Building Code requirements.

Contact Corey Benn: [email protected] he`s in the building services division, give him the address he can put you in touch with the right engineer.

If you proceed with it, please post your findings and progress, it would be very helpful for others as Hamilton is full of non-legal buildings.

Best,

multiroger

Registered
Hi Cam,

The link you posted for Hamilton "zoning requirements for 3 units dwellings" does't work. Could you double check again?

Thank you.

Roger

MrHamilton

Registered
Hi Roger,

I think this is the lnk Cam was referring to: http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Divisions/Planning/FormerZoningByLaws/By-LawNo6593.htm

try one of the links the says "multiple dwellings" where you can read about the how the zoning by laws basically follow OBC and Fire Code.

Or save yourself some time and give Corey Benn at the city a call (Like Cam said). He's really helpful! 905.546.2424 x 3907

Hope that helps!

Erwin

Top Bottom