Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trouble finding data when researching areas in which to invest

MichaelDunbar

REIN Member
hello there, I`m currently working through don campbell`s book, "real estate investing in canada". in chapter 5, he has you going through the process of finding a good market to invest in by collecting various data. I am having trouble finding up to date information on things like average income increase and in-out migration patterns. apart from all the information on this site, stating good up and coming investment areas, does anybody have any advice on how to be more efficient at acquiring these data to deduce your own conclusions? maybe a call to economic planners of a city? if anyone would like to share how they go about their own process of finding strong markets, it would be much appreciated..

housingrental

Registered
Phone city, they can often provide some but not all data

Re " if anyone would like to share how they go about their own process of finding strong markets, it would be much appreciated"
Yes. The top area to invest from REIN`s list is KWC. REIN provides good info but even they get confused. I choose Waterloo only instead of some other area`s that are often considered "the Camden of Ontario" by some.

RCrein

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Feb 28 2010, 12:35 PM) Phone city, they can often provide some but not all data

Re " if anyone would like to share how they go about their own process of finding strong markets, it would be much appreciated"
Yes. The top area to invest from REIN`s list is KWC. REIN provides good info but even they get confused. I choose Waterloo only instead of some other area`s that are often considered "the Camden of Ontario" by some.

Check out Statistics Canada website and their city reports. Lots of good info. Here is a link for Waterloo city http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement...=All&Custom=

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
pick ANY of the REIN Top 10 towns close to you .. what province ?

then do a more thorough area analysis within that city !

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (mughals @ Feb 28 2010, 05:53 AM) if anyone would like to share how they go about their own process of finding strong markets, it would be much appreciated..
As Adam and Thomas have stated, the REIN top ten reports have great info. If you`re not a REIN member, you can still purchase the reports directly from REIN: http://www.realestateinvestingincanada.com...arch.aspx#dvcat

I think it would be great if REIN would also publish information on the scoring algorithm used as well as the scores and data for towns not in the top ten. The research must exist for all the hundreds of other locations studied, it would be nice to have access to that.

Top Bottom