Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Trying to buy my first home (my own). Researching like mad. Suffering info overload. Need focus, advice.

JonnyK

Registered
Hello, This is my first post at these forums, I predict it will be the first of many.  I`ll try to be brief, but there`s lots to say.  The last few weeks have been extremely hectic for me as I research the purchase of a new home, and the stress is pretty high.  Maybe some of the knowledgeable people here can give me some focus.

Quick Facts:

- I have great credit (800 or so) and a decent monthly income that will allow me to buy a variety of properties, but I only have a small down payment of about $20,000.  A high ratio mortgage is likely.

- I`m a young single professional.

- I feel intense time pressure.  I fear mortgage restrictions may be introduced in the spring that will push me out of the market, or prices will rise.  I want to buy right away.

- I don`t have a realtor, a mortgage broker, a lawyer, an accountant, or a home inspector.  If I spend money to get all of these I fear I won`t have enough down payment left for a home.

- I`m able to save money at a fast rate (just got a raise at work), but that won`t help me today.

- I`ve been researching madly for 2 weeks and have learned a lot, the more I learn the more complicated things get.

- I`ve bought 6 real estate books and have gone through 4 of them so far (Including Don`s "Real Estate Investing In Canada").

- I`m wondering about buying in a new housing development to save costs on a lawyer, accountant, realtor, and home inspector (the builder provides a free lawyer).

- I`m keenly interested in real estate investing and starting my own businesses, but I think I need to handle getting myself my first home before I do that.

- My current apartment rent is $1,115 per month including utilities.  I have rented a single family home in the past for $1,400 per month plus ~$300 for utilities.  I managed the house fine, but had less cash.

- I`m burning out with all the research and need to refocus my efforts.

New home options:

- Buy a single family house for about 300,000 in a nice new area at the edge of the city that is being built and projected to increase in value due to rising population, new schools, a hospital, transportation improvements, etc (from my own research).  This will stretch the budget, but give me a nice and sizable residence which should increase in value greatly in the next few years if my calculations are correct.

- Buy a condo or townhouse for $250 or so.  Condo fees would be maybe $350 per month.  I can choose a place downtown (small and expensive), or towards the edge of the city (big and cheaper).  For the last two years I`ve lived in apartments downtown and don`t care for the noise my neighbors make, or the fact that I can`t make my own noise without disturbing people.  There are lots of condo/townhome choices, but I hate the concept of condo fees (no incentive to save energy), or the fact that I can`t make my own improvements to the place (specifically, a solar heating setup).  Condos and Townhouses are projected to not increase in value in the immediate future due to a large supply (from my research).

- If I buy new I may not need a realtor, lawyer, etc.  There are also down payment options that let me spread the payment over time allowing me to pay a much higher down payment (10 or 15% instead of 5%).

Used home options:

- The only used single family homes I can afford are generally dumpy places in bad neighborhoods that I don`t want to live in, so I`ve sorta ruled this out.  But who knows.

- There are lots of used condos and townhomes for sale but often for the same price as the shiny new ones.  I would find it difficult to spend $300,000 for a decent downtown condo and then have condo fees on top of that.- If I buy used I`ll need a realtor, lawyer, etc.  I`ll also need the down payment ready up front, so will only have a small down payment.

Questions:

- Do I need a realtor, a lawyer, and all those other people if I`m going to buy new?  If I buy from a reputable builder (based on research I`ve done) who provides a new home warranty then do I still need these people?

- Can anyone recommend a good mortgage broker?  There seems to be a million of these people, and all of them seem to have won some sort of award and are awesome.

- Books I have read suggest I should get several quotes from several brokers.  How does that work in Canada? (they were US books).  Do I get pre-approved by several brokers?  Do I fill out a full application for several brokers?  I was going to prepare my "Sophisticated Investor" binder and try meeting with brokers for lunch and such, but then started to think that maybe I should save this work for a year or two in the future when I start my investing, and that for now when I`m buying my first home I should just go and get a mortgage from somebody and have them help me along.  All the extra future investment planning is a lot to add on to an already stressful situation.

- Considering I`m buying a home for myself and not an investment, would you recommend getting something nicer (for more money) or going cheap?  If I go cheap then I`ll have to suck it up and suffer a little, but I`ll be able to kick start my investing sooner.  If I go for a nicer place then I`ll live comfortably but it`ll be longer before I can save up another down payment.  This question really has me torn.  And to make it more complicated the house could appreciate more, where the condo/townhome may not.  So do I pay more for a place that will appreciate more?

- I have the choice of buying a new townhome or a new single family home, both of which are in the same new area on the edge of town which is expected to increase in value (according to my research).  The townhome will be less expensive, less work, and will add a garage.  The house will be bigger (more than I need) and without a garage.  The benefit of the house is that I can make noise and not worry about neighbor noise (I love my home theater and long to set it up again).  The neighborhood is primarily single family homes, mainly large $450,000 ones.  My research indicates that single family homes will appreciate far more than townhomes, and buying in a new area with "family" oriented amenities appearing should further improve the single family house attractiveness.  A friend of mine has also done research and warns me that townhomes and condos on the fringe of the city (such as this area) will be the first to drop when the market drops, but the single family home will do much better.  Thoughts?

- If I buy the house I`ll need a 35 year amortization to keep payments reasonable (about $1200 a month).  If I buy a condo/townhome I can go for shorter amortization periods, but I think I still want a 35 year term to allow me to save faster for investment properties.  Thoughts?

My current rough strategy:

This isn`t set in stone, but here`s my rough plan at the moment, with rough numbers.  I go and buy the $300,000 single family house in the new area that is just being built (it`s a dirt lot right now).  I don`t get a lawyer or anybody else, which saves me money up front when I really need it.  I`m still a smart guy and I`ll read all the fine print and ask all the questions.  The builder lets me pay my down payment spread out over time.  I need to pay $1,000 up front, then another $9,000 in two weeks.  I take some of my saved cash and put it aside for this.  The rest of my cash I put into my RRSP right now and I use that contribution to get a large amount of tax back atthe end of February.  I then put the tax refund into the RRSP as well.  For the next few months I pay the rest of the minimum 5% down payment in monthly installments (about $1,000 a month), and funnel extra cash into the the RRSP until the full RRSP amount is $25,000.  At the end of a year when the house is built I take the full $25,000 out of my RRSP using the new home builders plan and combine it with extra savings I`ve made during the course of the year to make a final lump sum down payment, hopefully giving me a total amount of about $45,000 (15%).  When I take possession of the house around early 2011 extra amenities in the neighborhood will have been built and the house should have already increased in value.  Initial research I`ve done seems to indicate that the $300,000 house will jump in value to $350,000 once the neighborhood is established.  Does this plan sound plausible, or am I nuts?

Thanks for the input, and thanks for reading all of that.  I`m wordy, I know.  

Jonathan

RedlineBrett

Registered
Hey Jonathan,
here are my thoughts on a couple of your questions.

"This is my first post at these forums, I predict it will be the first of many. I`ll try to be brief, but there`s lots to say. The last few weeks have been extremely hectic for me as I research the purchase of a new home, and the stress is pretty high. Maybe some of the knowledgeable people here can give me some focus."

Don`t stress over it. Like anything else you have done Real Estate can seem daunting at first but the more you look into it the clearer it will be. Buying your first place is exciting and doesn`t need to be stressful.

"- I have great credit (800 or so) and a decent monthly income that will allow me to buy a variety of properties, but I only have a small down payment of about $20,000. A high ratio mortgage is likely.

- I`m a young single professional.

- I feel intense time pressure. I fear mortgage restrictions may be introduced in the spring that will push me out of the market, or prices will rise. I want to buy right away."

This is all totally normal. What are your specific reasons for being a highly motivated buyer? Don`t let small concerns force big decisions so do your best to see what is driving you.

"- I don`t have a realtor, a mortgage broker, a lawyer, an accountant, or a home inspector. If I spend money to get all of these I fear I won`t have enough down payment left for a home."

Here is the best news you will receive today - your mortgage broker and realtor are paid by the BANK and the SELLER`S REALTOR.
that`s right, you don`t pay for them out of your pocket! Their commission cheques are built into the prices of homes you are seeing and the loans you are being offered. The real estate industry set it up this way to protect people like you and to foster your business when it comes time to sell later. When you work with a pro you will see how it can simplify your transition immensly.

"- I`m able to save money at a fast rate (just got a raise at work), but that won`t help me today.

- I`ve been researching madly for 2 weeks and have learned a lot, the more I learn the more complicated things get.

- I`ve bought 6 real estate books and have gone through 4 of them so far (Including Don`s "Real Estate Investing In Canada").
"

This is all good but you need to bounce your thoughts off an expert before making any decisions. Self-taught education is invaluable but so are the opinions of experts that help people like you every day.

"- I`m wondering about buying in a new housing development to save costs on a lawyer, accountant, realtor, and home inspector (the builder provides a free lawyer).
"

You will save about $1000 on legal fees but if the builder is paying the legal fees who`s interests do you think the lawyers are looking out for? $1000 can be very cheap insurance just ask anyone that bought a pre-build and then wanted out of it later.

" - I`m keenly interested in real estate investing and starting my own businesses, but I think I need to handle getting myself my first home before I do that.

- My current apartment rent is $1,115 per month including utilities. I have rented a single family home in the past for $1,400 per month plus ~$300 for utilities. I managed the house fine, but had less cash.

- I`m burning out with all the research and need to refocus my efforts."

very smart to get your own kitchen under control before planning a real estate investment business. As for burning out due to research just walk away from it for a couple days and try and make it fun again... go for a drive to some of the communities you`re considering and look at the lifestyle tradeoffs rather than how the numbers will wash out. Lifestyle is just as important as $$ as that`s what you work for right?"New home options:

- Buy a single family house for about 300,000 in a nice new area at the edge of the city that is being built and projected to increase in value due to rising population, new schools, a hospital, transportation improvements, etc (from my own research). This will stretch the budget, but give me a nice and sizable residence which should increase in value greatly in the next few years if my calculations are correct.

- Buy a condo or townhouse for $250 or so. Condo fees would be maybe $350 per month. I can choose a place downtown (small and expensive), or towards the edge of the city (big and cheaper). For the last two years I`ve lived in apartments downtown and don`t care for the noise my neighbors make, or the fact that I can`t make my own noise without disturbing people. There are lots of condo/townhome choices, but I hate the concept of condo fees (no incentive to save energy), or the fact that I can`t make my own improvements to the place (specifically, a solar heating setup). Condos and Townhouses are projected to not increase in value in the immediate future due to a large supply (from my research).

Be careful about projecting price increases in new communities... remember that it can take builders YEARS to build out a new community and any buyer considering that area will have the option to buy new just like you do now... and who knows what builders will be offering them then. Lots of people got screwed by buying in phase 1 of a new development only to find that builders had slashed prices by 10-20% when the market softened or they faced competition and these buyers can`t sell now. Old communities do not have the same problem but have other challenges as a tradeoff. Talk to a realtor about this for your area.

- If I buy new I may not need a realtor, lawyer, etc. There are also down payment options that let me spread the payment over time allowing me to pay a much higher down payment (10 or 15% instead of 5%).

Realtors can help you buy new and you really need to review any purchase contract with your own lawyer. They will have seen a resale contract 1000 times but the builders all have custom ones with some very strange clauses in them and that can be like the wild west.

"Used home options:

- The only used single family homes I can afford are generally dumpy places in bad neighborhoods that I don`t want to live in, so I`ve sorta ruled this out. But who knows.

- There are lots of used condos and townhomes for sale but often for the same price as the shiny new ones. I would find it difficult to spend $300,000 for a decent downtown condo and then have condo fees on top of that.

- If I buy used I`ll need a realtor, lawyer, etc. I`ll also need the down payment ready up front, so will only have a small down payment.
"

Same stuff as I`ve said above... buyers don`t pay for the service of their realtors - the sellers do. Builders may offer down payment assistance but rest assured they make it up elsewhere.

"Questions:

- Do I need a realtor, a lawyer, and all those other people if I`m going to buy new? If I buy from a reputable builder (based on research I`ve done) who provides a new home warranty then do I still need these people?

You don`t need anyone for anything... the question is how confident are you in your decisions and would you benefit from their services vs. what it costs you. (basically nothing for a buyers realtor and mortgage broker) Many builders have commission agreements with realtors anyway.

- Can anyone recommend a good mortgage broker? There seems to be a million of these people, and all of them seem to have won some sort of award and are awesome.

I am not a mortgage broker but I co-own a mortgage brokerage and can make sure you are taken care of. There are also dozens of great brokers on the forums that you should consider before walking down to your local branch.

"- Books I have read suggest I should get several quotes from several brokers. How does that work in Canada? (they were US books). Do I get pre-approved by several brokers? Do I fill out a full application for several brokers? I was going to prepare my "Sophisticated Investor" binder and try meeting with brokers for lunch and such, but then started to think that maybe I should save this work for a year or two in the future when I start my investing, and that for now when I`m buying my first home I should just go and get a mortgage from somebody and have them help me along. All the extra future investment planning is a lot to add on to an already stressful situation."

Honestly... pick a broker from the REIN network and go with that. Of course the books are going to tell you to get 1000 numbers and pick the best ones but too many opinions will cloud your decision and you`ll find the rates never differ by more than 0.1 % or so.

- Considering I`m buying a home for myself and not an investment, would you recommend getting something nicer (for more money) or going cheap? If I go cheap then I`ll have to suck it up and suffer a little, but I`ll be able to kick start my investing sooner. If I go for a nicer place then I`ll live comfortably but it`ll be longer before I can save up another down payment. This question really has me torn. And to make it more complicated the house could appreciate more, where the condo/townhome may not. So do I pay more for a place that will appreciate more?

Your lifestyle requirements should play a factor also. If you go too cheap you might like the numbers but you may not be happy and this could lead to you needing to trade up sooner. I tell my first time buyers (I am a realtor in Calgary) to plan for at least two years but not more than five. If you are a young single professional (Like I was when i bought my first place 5 years ago) your lifestyle requirements may get more `complicated` so the short time frame is a way to `expect the unexpected` so to speak.

"- I have the choice of buying a new townhome or a new single family home, both of which are in the same new area on the edge of town which is expected to increase in value (according to my research). The townhome will be less expensive, less work, and will add a garage. The house will be bigger (more than I need) and without a garage. The benefit of the house is that I can make noise and not worry about neighbor noise (I love my home theater and long to set it up again). The neighborhood is primarily single family homes, mainly large $450,000 ones. My research indicates that single family homes will appreciate far more than townhomes, and buying in a new area with "family" oriented amenities appearing should further improve the single family house attractiveness. A friend of mine has also done research and warns me that townhomes and condos on the fringe of the city (such as this area) will be the first to drop when the market drops, but the single family home will do much better. Thoughts?
"

Again it comes back to how important your lifestyle is to you. Don`t pay for more than you need on the premise it will be worth more some day. Buy what you need to be happy (within reason) and then make your investments in proper income producing real estate.
"- If I buy the house I`ll need a 35 year amortization to keep payments reasonable (about $1200 a month). If I buy a condo/townhome I can go for shorter amortization periods, but I think I still want a 35 year term to allow me to save faster for investment properties. Thoughts?"

Take the longest AM you can. If you wish to pay down more principle you can always make lump sum payments along the way... but if cash gets tight you can`t reduce your payment... so taking the lowest payment option is almost always the best move.

"My current rough strategy:

This isn`t set in stone, but here`s my rough plan at the moment, with rough numbers. I go and buy the $300,000 single family house in the new area that is just being built (it`s a dirt lot right now). I don`t get a lawyer or anybody else, which saves me money up front when I really need it. I`m still a smart guy and I`ll read all the fine print and ask all the questions. The builder lets me pay my down payment spread out over time. I need to pay $1,000 up front, then another $9,000 in two weeks. I take some of my saved cash and put it aside for this. The rest of my cash I put into my RRSP right now and I use that contribution to get a large amount of tax back at the end of February. I then put the tax refund into the RRSP as well. For the next few months I pay the rest of the minimum 5% down payment in monthly installments (about $1,000 a month), and funnel extra cash into the the RRSP until the full RRSP amount is $25,000. At the end of a year when the house is built I take the full $25,000 out of my RRSP using the new home builders plan and combine it with extra savings I`ve made during the course of the year to make a final lump sum down payment, hopefully giving me a total amount of about $45,000 (15%). When I take possession of the house around early 2011 extra amenities in the neighborhood will have been built and the house should have already increased in value. Initial research I`ve done seems to indicate that the $300,000 house will jump in value to $350,000 once the neighborhood is established. Does this plan sound plausible, or am I nuts?
"

I think your future value expectations are a bit optomistic. I like your plan to save for the 15% provided it washes with an accountant. To be safe you should plan for ZERO equity appreciation between when you sign your prebuild contract to when you take possession. To see what I mean look at the same floorplan/model of the property you are considering being sold as a spec home or resale today and contrast that with the build option the builder is providing you. I bet there isn`t a $50k bonus for waiting 9 months for the property to be built. the `amenities` won`t go in that fast.

"Thanks for the input, and thanks for reading all of that. I`m wordy, I know.

Jonathan"

You are welcome and good luck!

OntarioInvestor

Registered
Jon,

While I`d love to answer more of your questions, it`s Monday morning and I only have a few minutes right now.

As was previously mentioned your agent and broker are paid by the seller and the bank (respectively). I would highly reccommend getting a lawyer even if you are buying new. You`d be surprised at how many "reputable" builders try to slide provisions into their agreements that are very favourable to them. Besides, residential real estate lawyers are generally cheap and charge a flat fee. If this is Toronto I can reccommend someone to you who would cost you about $1,500. Sounds like a lot but without one it may cost you much more than that. Same thing for the home inspector if you`re buying used. Do you really want to have a $10,000 repair you didn`t know about because you didn`t want to spend $500 on a home inspection?

Just a couple of other replies....

I think condo prices (if we`re talking about Toronto) will continue to rise. People have been saying for years there is oversupply but prices continue to rise. I think people underestimate how many people migrate to Toronto each year.

I wouldn`t be in too much of a rush to buy. Supply in Toronto is expected to increase significantly in the ladder half of the year. Mortgage rates will probably only be up 1 or 2% (if at all) by then. However, I have heard that the government was toying with the idea of increasing the minimum down payment from 5% to 10 or 15%. I could see this being a problem, but this type of legislative change won`t come overnight, there will be press on it in the runup. So until you start reading about it I wouldn`t sweat it and instead focus on getting a good deal and something you really like; as opposed to buying something "decent" because you feel like you need to buy fast.

Hope this helps.

markl

Registered
Just a note for buying new you will want your own Realtor on board they will get paid by the builder. They will help protect your interests. You will also want to have your own Lawyer involved in the deal to review the contracts as well some builder contracts are very 1 sided. A mortgage broker will work in your best interest and get you the best terms for you after discussing your plans and goals.

I think your first step would be to interview some realtors and mortgage brokers. Where are you located REIN members can probably recommend a few for you to speak with.

As well depending on where you are you have to take into account land transfer tax and on a new purchase GST.

As for instant appreciation on the property that is speculation and would be great if it happened but I wouldn`t count on it.

Home inspector even if you buy a new property you want to have a professional home inspector go through. The builder remedies all problems and the home inspector does a much more detailed analysis for you and it is a couple of hundred dollars well spent.

Regards,

JonnyK

Registered
Ohhh, I forgot to mention my location.  I`m in Calgary.  I also forgot to mention that if I buy a new home I only pay 3.5% GST (government discount).

As for the broker being paid by the bank, a book I read titled "Mortgage Rip-offs and Money Savers" by "Carolyn Warren" describes how the bank pays the broker using money you pay the bank, and that really it`s just you paying the broker.  To make it appear like there is no cost to you they will often add a "Yield Spread Premium" to the mortgage.  This increases your interest rate in order to get some extra cash out of you to pay the broker, but the end effect is that you pay significantly more over the life of the loan just so the broker gets a few thousand up front.  The book also describes how to negotiate a fair agreement that does not include a YSP, but will include an upfront cost instead.  That said, this book focuses on the US market and the Canadian market may be different.  Still, I remain wary as there is no such thing as "free" when hiring qualified professionals.

I`m off to work now, but I`ll respond more fully at the end of the day. Thanks.

RobMacdonald

Registered
Hi Jonathan,

My recommendation would be to get in touch with a mortgage broker as one of your first steps. Financing will be one of the most importatnt aspects regardless of what direction you decide to go. Work with a broker that is familiar with real estate investing and can work with you to create a long term plan.

Even though you are buying a principal residence, you need to consider how that purchase will effect your longer term plans. It sounds like you have plans to also purchase investment real estate, and making the right decision on your home purchase and financing, will make it easier to succeed in your next steps.

Regardless of where you`re purchasing, assembling a quality team of professionals will definitely be a tremendous asset in achieving your long term goals.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (JonnyK @ Jan 25 2010, 09:51 AM)
Ohhh, I forgot to mention my location. I'm in Calgary. I also forgot to mention that if I buy a new home I only pay 3.5% GST (government discount).

As for the broker being paid by the bank, a book I read titled "Mortgage Rip-offs and Money Savers" by "Carolyn Warren" describes how the bank pays the broker using money you pay the bank, and that really it's just you paying the broker. To make it appear like there is no cost to .......wary as there is no such thing as "free" when hiring qualified professionals.

I'm off to work now, but I'll respond more fully at the end of the day. Thanks.

Hi Johnny,

Yes in the end it goes all into the purchase price. But first of all, try to get a better deal without working with a realtor. You may succeed, but I think the chance is small. FSBO (For Sale By Owner properties) are not there to give you a better deal. Also, it is close to a 'buy as is', i.e. you have very little recourse if something goes wrong.

You think that realtors, lawyers, mortgage brokers are not worth their money? Go ahead, especially when you buy for the first time you may get away with it. It is a bit like the time I wanted to travel as cheap as practical from Calgary to Amsterdam (visiting my family for XMAS in Holland) and then travel on to Jakarta where I was scheduled to teach a geology course. I found out that the trip around the world was three hundred dollar more expensive than flying back to Vancouver and then to Jakarta. So I took the second option. Then I found out that I had to deduct a day from my vacation because I would have to stay over in Vancouver, next I found that I had to arrange for an unbudgeted hotel - oops another $150 for the night plus two meals in a restaurant. So apart from a wonderful extra vacation day in Holland with my family and relatives, I had lost that day; I had to send my wife and two young kids back to Canada on their own without a proper send-off and paid basically the same if not more.

My point, it is sometimes worth to pay what you perceive that extra bit of money. If the mortgage broker can shave off a quarter point of your payments, if the realtor can prevent you from making a mistake, if the lawyer can ensure you are properly registered on title and dealt with the mortgage papers all their fees are easily earned. The good thing about my Jakarta trip? I learned a valuable lesson - don't be too cheap.

Hope this helps.

JonnyK

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Jan 25 2010, 11:56 AM) Hi Johnny,

Yes in the end it goes all into the purchase price. But first of all, try to get a better deal without working with a realtor. You may succeed, but I think the chance is small. FSBO (For Sale By Owner properties) are not there to give you a better deal. Also, it is close to a `buy as is`, i.e. you have very little recourse if something goes wrong.

You think that realtors, lawyers, mortgage brokers are not worth their money? Go ahead, especially when you buy for the first time you may get away with it. It is a bit like the time I wanted to travel as cheap as practical from Calgary to Amsterdam (visiting my family for XMAS in Holland) and then travel on to Jakarta where I was scheduled to teach a geology course. I found out that the trip around the world was three hundred dollar more expensive than flying back to Vancouver and then to Jakarta. So I took the second option. Then I found out that I had to deduct a day from my vacation because I would have to stay over in Vancouver, next I found that I had to arrange for an unbudgeted hotel - oops another $150 for the night plus two meals in a restaurant. So apart from a wonderful extra vacation day in Holland with my family and relatives, I had lost that day; I had to send my wife and two young kids back to Canada on their own without a proper send-off and paid basically the same if not more.

My point, it is sometimes worth to pay what you perceive that extra bit of money. If the mortgage broker can shave off a quarter point of your payments, if the realtor can prevent you from making a mistake, if the lawyer can ensure you are properly registered on title and dealt with the mortgage papers all their fees are easily earned. The good thing about my Jakarta trip? I learned a valuable lesson - don`t be too cheap.

Hope this helps.

Godfried,

I may have come across in the wrong way so let me clarify my position.  I absolutely believe that it`s important to get professional help, and I believe that to be successful in my investing I`ll definitely need a team of good people around me.  I also believe that if I`m going to buy a used home then I`ll need this help since there`s a lot to buying a used home.  What I was debating was whether or not I still need to pay for these professional services when buying a new home if the builder had offered to do all this work for me for free.

Jonathan

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (JonnyK @ Jan 25 2010, 07:27 PM)
What I was debating was whether or not I still need to pay for these professional services when buying a new home if the builder had offered to do all this work for me for free.

YES! You absolutely need a lawyer when you're dealing with a builder. Their lawyer will look after their interests, and will write a contract that absolutely favours them. You need someone to protect YOUR interests. Why would you assume that the builder's lawyer would do that for you? If I were you, I'd assume that the builder is out to take advantage of you, and proceed accorderingly to protect yourself.

Even if the builder is the nicest guy since Gandhi, consider the potential upside and downside of both of your options.

1) You use their lawyer. Upside: Save ~$1200 of legal fees. Downside:potential to get screwed, potentially losing tens of thousands of dollars, potentially having little to no protection if the builder doesn't finish the house to standard.

2) You hire your own lawyer. Upside: You have someone looking after your interests. Downside: Pay ~1200 of legal fees.

I'm not a lawyer, and it doesn't matter to me what you do, but I think you would be extremely foolish to not spend the money.

Michael

mortgageman

Registered
QUOTE (JonnyK @ Jan 25 2010, 09:51 AM)
Ohhh, I forgot to mention my location. I'm in Calgary. I also forgot to mention that if I buy a new home I only pay 3.5% GST (government discount).

As for the broker being paid by the bank, a book I read titled "Mortgage Rip-offs and Money Savers" by "Carolyn Warren" describes how the bank pays the broker using money you pay the bank, and that really it's just you paying the broker. To make it appear like there is no cost to you they will often add a "Yield Spread Premium" to the mortgage. This increases your interest rate in order to get some extra cash out of you to pay the broker, but the end effect is that you pay significantly more over the life of the loan just so the broker gets a few thousand up front. The book also describes how to negotiate a fair agreement that does not include a YSP, but will include an upfront cost instead. That said, this book focuses on the US market and the Canadian market may be different. Still, I remain wary as there is no such thing as "free" when hiring qualified professionals.

I'm off to work now, but I'll respond more fully at the end of the day. Thanks.

This is the US mortgage broker business model and is completely different than the way things work in Canada. Here mortgage brokers are paid by the bank. Your rate will be very competitive if you go with a broker, you'll get unbiased advice and if you don't fit into the bank's client categories, a broker will be able to match you with a lender who will be happy to work with you. It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed. I strongly suggest you have a chat with a broker and a realtor to get some back ground knowledge and some straight up, no BS answers to your questions.

I'd be happy to chat with you.

All the best

Jason

JonnyK

Registered
Redline Brett and Others,

Why am I highly motivated?  Generally in life I`ll decide I want to do something and then attack the problem with my full energy until I`ve accomplished it.  On top of that, I read a lot of news and current events and the information I can find suggests that interest rates will begin rising in mid summer, and that the government may introduce down payment restrictions and/or mortgage amortization length restrictions in the spring.  If interest rates rise I may loose out on a decent 5 year rate, so I should lock that in now.  And if mortgage restrictions are introduced then I may find myself either unable to buy all together (for lack of a sufficient down payment), or unable to afford monthly payments (due to properties being expensive and amortization being shorter).  The basic equation suggests that the longer I wait the more expensive this is going to get.

As for lifestyle choice, that`s another tricky decision I need to make.  Most of my browsing has been focused on price so far since my budget is small enough that I really don`t have a lot of choice in this market.  But here is a random list of the things I`d like, ideally:

• A location that isn`t too far from downtown (or is downtown) to allow me to go to night clubs without having to travel too far.  I`m a single guy, so getting out and meeting the ladies is very important.  Related to this, my place needs to be nice enough that women will want to come over.
    • At least 750 square feet in size.  I don`t need a big place, but it would be nice to have two bedrooms.
      • The ability to set up my home theater with it`s subwoofer (which plays a 15 hz tone at 120 dB).  It`s extremely unlikely I can do this in anything but a detached home.
        • Somewhere that I won`t hear my neighbors.  I`ve lived in a wood construction building and it was awful.  I now live in a concrete high rise and it`s significantly better, but I still hear the people above me dropping things on their hardwood floor and getting it on at 3 am.  If I have to choose a multi-family place then concrete would be the preference.
          • The ability to have a place that I can make energy efficient improvements to in order to lower my utilities and be "green".  I`d really love to set up solar heating and electrical systems and reduce my energy needs.  You can only do this kind of improvement in a single family home.
            • Having a garage where I can not only park my car, but also tinker and work on projects.  I enjoy doing stuff sometimes, but I`ll need space to do it.Something that won`t increase my monthly payments much more than what they currently are (about $1200 a month).
            Having a place that my mom would be comfortable coming to visit me at, and would approve of in terms of cleanliness and presentation.  It doesn`t have to be Trump Tower, but it can`t be a slum either.
          A location that will increase in value with time and will be more resistant to drops in the housing market.
        A place where I can have my own washing machine and not have to use coin operated machines.
      A place where I`ll like my neighbors.  I`ve had bad experiences in the past and the last thing I want is to be awake and enraged in the middle of the night on a weekday and have to go and pound on my neighbors door and tell him to shut his party down because I need to work in the morning.
    A place with minimal maintenance.
This is just a rough list, but as you can see I want everything really.  Half of the things I describe suggest I should get a condo downtown, while the other half suggest I get a single family home, while my budget suggests I don`t get much of anything.

Anyway, I guess my next steps will be to find a mortgage broker and a realtor.  I`ll try and contact people tomorrow.  Thanks for the input everybody, I appreciate it.

Jonathan

Registered
Also, remember to get an RRSP loan and purchase an RRSP before this year`s deadline to max. out your contribution limit and then withdraw it to put towards your downpayment. Your income tax refund can then be put back on your loan and you`ll only have to replace the balance remaining at 1/15 each year for 15 years until it`s repaid. Take advantage of this great tool courtesy of the Fed. gov`t.. It will allow you to meet downpayment requirements, skip some or all CMHC fees and get you into a property that you want. Also, since your are young and single certainly consider getting a property with a basement apartment- it doesn`t matter if it`s zoned since you`re not going to be claiming it as a rental property and it can be a nice bit of income towards mortgage paydown or consider taking on a roomate- maybe look for a place with 2 baths so you have some privacy. Also, I would actually wait although I`m not familiar with the Calgary market I think that nationally for various reasons house prices are going to decrease. Lenders and RE agents always like to get people to think that there is no time like the present for a purchase.

S.G.

RedlineBrett

Registered
Hey Jonathan,

There are townhouses available that will give you 8/10 things you`re after. Also many that are on the new west LRT line or on the path of the NW lrt extension - these make excellent rental properties and might be able to do double duty for you as an income property when the time comes for you to trade up. Would definitely give you more options than an apartment style condo or new home way out in the `burbs.

Anyways all your research will pay off... but you can only do so much from your office. I`d say it`s time for you to get out and see some properties and start ranking the items on your wish list. This will make your at-home research all that more accurate when you have some `feild data` to add to your analysis.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (JonnyK @ Jan 26 2010, 12:35 AM)
Half of the things I describe suggest I should get a condo downtown, while the other half suggest I get a single family home, while my budget suggests I don't get much of anything.

Sounds to me like you need a townhouse in a nice inner city neighbourhood. Something close to downtown where someone else showels the walk and repairs the siding for the young single part of you, and something with your own furnace and space, for the part of you that is eco-conscious and has to get up in the morning to go to work. It should also be cheaper than a similarly located house, which helps out on the budget, or gets you into a neighbourhood you couldn't otherwise afford.

Michael

Edit: I see Brett beat me to this idea!

JonnyK

Registered
One more thing about the RRSP.  In order to use the home buyers plan I need to keep funds in the RRSP for 90 days, and this really messes with my timing.  If I drop a big pile of money into the RRSP now then I`ll be able to maximize my down payment using the RRSP cash plus my tax refund, but I`ll only be able to use that money in 3 months from now, basically in May!  By then I`ll have much more cash, true.  But that might be too late.

I understand that spring is the most popular time to buy.  I assume that means there will be more selection.  Perhaps I should wait?  I just hope I don`t get burned by waiting.  Either that, or I skip on the RRSP and pay my down payment with the $20,000 or so worth of cash that I have now.  Additionally, my current apartment lease ends at the end of June (after which I can rent month by month).  The ideal fit might still be to buy something new, allowing me to pay the down payment and move in later in the year.  So much to consider.

I need to hurry up and get some people on my team.

Jonathan

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (JonnyK @ Jan 26 2010, 08:46 AM) One more thing about the RRSP. In order to use the home buyers plan I need to keep funds in the RRSP for 90 days, and this really messes with my timing. If I drop a big pile of money into the RRSP now then I`ll be able to maximize my down payment using the RRSP cash plus my tax refund, but I`ll only be able to use that money in 3 months from now, basically in May! By then I`ll have much more cash, true. But that might be too late.

I understand that spring is the most popular time to buy. I assume that means there will be more selection. Perhaps I should wait? I just hope I don`t get burned by waiting. Either that, or I skip on the RRSP and pay my down payment with the $20,000 or so worth of cash that I have now. Additionally, my current apartment lease ends at the end of June (after which I can rent month by month). The ideal fit might still be to buy something new, allowing me to pay the down payment and move in later in the year. So much to consider.

I need to hurry up and get some people on my team.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Brett is right you should start looking at some real properties otherwise you get paralized through your analysis. Also, you should never ever be in a hurry to buy. You may be amazed to hear this from a realtor, however, if price is a concern you don`t want to be in a panick and overpay or even end up in a bidding war. I am sure Brett would tell you the same.

Forecasts are that pricing is not going to increase much more than 5 to 6% over the year. And interest rates, you really never know. It may be higher near the end of the year but probably not a lot. I would guess, we`ll be having the current conditions at least for another 6 months.

So, make your feb RRSP contribution if you haven`t already done so and if you find that house you wish to buy, ensure possession isn`t before your 90 day limit. Make sure though that you have money for the deposit.

Regarding your team, your realtor can refer you to a lawyer, mortgage broker, home inspector, etc. He/she will typically provide you 2 or 3 names to choose from. Some realtors take referral fees from the people they refer you to. So make sure that you know what your realtor is doing. My personal rule is that I don`t take referral fees since it is my job to provide these services in the best interest of my clients and referral fees may prejudice me. The commissions I receive should be enough.

Also, on this website you can find many professionals to build your team. Especially with your realtor you should be selective. Get three names, interview the guys or gals and see which one you feel most comfortable with. Also, ensure their attitude, regarding things such as `low balling`. Investors are often not willing to pay more than their income stream justifies and that could be significantly below residential market value. Some realtors may consider this low balling and insulting towards the seller. So check out your realtor`s attitude in this and how he/she would deal with it.

In the end, your realtor must always follow your lawful instructions, but that does not mean they all do it with the same enthusiasm.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 25 2010, 09:12 PM) Can someone summarize this post in 1 paragraph so I can comment?Adam - the only poster more wordy than you

Johnny
- don`t hurry - STOP - find some professionals whose best interest is to help you maximize your purchase according to lifestyle and dollars spent, you are making it too hard on yourself by trying to learn everything there is to know.
First
- find good realtor
Second
- find good mortgage broker

Do those 2 things and the rest will fall into place these guys/girls will have multiple contacts.

invst4profit

Registered
The first thing you should really do is talk to a broker and find out exactly what you are likely to be pre approved for in the way of a mortgage.
Otherwise you are just spinning your wheels.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jan 26 2010, 05:19 PM) The first thing you should really do is talk to a broker and find out exactly what you are likely to be pre approved for in the way of a mortgage.
Otherwise you are just spinning your wheels.

Right on. That is what most realtors would ask you to do as well. Because that way you know your maximum purchase price.

That does not mean that that is what you should buy. Only buy what you need and no more. Live below your means and make it a habit to save.

Amen

Top Bottom