Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Unkept Backyard

ekisielewski

Registered
Upon a recent inspection of my property I noticed the tenants are not looking after the fully fenced backyard at all.
Some of the weeds are 4 feet high. On the other hand the front lawn is well kept.
Is there anything I can do about it?
Or as long as it is good shape when they leave it is ok?
Their lease will expire on Feb 1 2009 and it will most likely be covered by snow.
Thanks
Elisabet
Oakville - Ontario

Dejavu

Registered
QUOTE (ekisielewski @ Jul 22 2008, 08:31 PM) Upon a recent inspection of my property I noticed the tenants are not looking after the fully fenced backyard at all.
Some of the weeds are 4 feet high. On the other hand the front lawn is well kept.
Is there anything I can do about it?
Or as long as it is good shape when they leave it is ok?
Their lease will expire on Feb 1 2009 and it will most likely be covered by snow.
Thanks
Elisabet
Oakville - Ontario

If you have a good working relationship with them, you could ask them if the lawn mower is working well...or something similar to hint at the backyard issue.

If your lease says that the tenant is responsible for the upkeep, perhaps you could suggest to them to keep it in good shape as otherwise it will cost them some $$$ to restore it to the original condition before they move out.

Either way it`ll sound as if you are concerned about them and are trying to help, hence will keep the relationship on a positive note and you are more likely to get the result you want.

Just my $0.02..hope this helps.

invst4profit

Registered
Are you planing on evicting in Feb. Is it part of the agreement that they will maintain the grounds. If so have you spoken directly with them regarding your expectations. As a landlord it is your responsibility to ensure that the tenant is fully aware of there responsibilities and of your expectations. If you do not tell them what you want how are they to know.
It is your property and you are providing them with a place to live so why is it you are afraid to tell them to get there act together and maintain the yard.

samwei

Registered
Hi,

You can probably let them know that you will be amending their Tenancy Agreement to read "Tenant agrees to cut the lawn at least once every 2 weeks. Should the tenant not cut the lawn on a regular basis, the Landlord may have this work done by a different party, and the cost will be borne by the Tenant."

You should get some results, one way or the other, with this action.

Sam

ekisielewski

Registered
Thanks all for your responses.
After going over the Lease agreement i realized I had included a clause where they had agreed to keep the lawn in good shape. I brought this to their attention, asked them to remedy it immediately and gave the option if they preferred for me to call a lanscaping comapny to the work at their expense.
Thay have apparently contracted a company to do the work this weekend.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom