Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Upcoming Lease Renewal...

smack123

Registered
Hello, currently renting out my 3+1 bedroom updated bungalow with fenced yard and double garage in Fort Saskatchewan, rent has been stable for nearly 2 years at $1700/month + utilities. Current lease expires at the end of June. My property management company advises that the current tenants have contacted them and indicated that they have been watching the rental market closely and are willing to sign a new 1-year lease upon expiry of this term, but at $1400/month.

When I asked my PM if this type of reduction was reasonable given the change in the market they indicated that if they were to advertise today it would go in the paper at $1300-1400. Both previous times it rented within a week at $1700. Based on this, an offer to renew for one year at $1400 seems reasonable/logical, but I wanted to see if others are seeing similar rent decreases. I asked a question about rent decreases about 2 months ago and the concensus seemed to be that rents were holding and in some cases even still climbing, so the prospect of an 18% rent decrease is a little concerning. However, perphaps $1700 was high and I have simply benefited over the past 2 years from what was a hot market.

Of course if I decline their offer and they move out at the end of June, even simply a one month vacancy to find new tenants will mean I need to get at least $1525/month simply to gross the same revenue for the year.... ($1400 x 12mos. vs. $1525 X 11mos.)

My inclination is to respond to the PM indicating that I would like to get $1550/month, and perhaps we settle at $1500/month.

Does that seem like a good approach or should I be happy to accept the lease renewal at $1400? By all accounts, these tenants have been excellent and have taken very good care of the house, so I do not want to play hardball to the point of alienating them, as a good tenant is worth their weight in gold.

Thoughts?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
take the $1400 (or $1250 even) .. assuming tenants are good .. as rental and housing market in that area is QUITE SOFT .. many layoffs .. and upgrader alley may take a few more years or decades to develop than originally planned ..

nepoez

Registered
Is it true that Edmonton north east is also expecting lots of lay off and 20% rent reduction?

QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Mar 24 2009, 02:02 PM) take the $1400 (or $1250 even) .. assuming tenants are good .. as rental and housing market in that area is QUITE SOFT .. many layoffs .. and upgrader alley may take a few more years or decades to develop than originally planned ..

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (nepoez @ Mar 24 2009, 03:10 PM) Is it true that Edmonton north east is also expecting lots of lay off and 20% rent reduction?
That is my view ..

smack123

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Mar 24 2009, 02:02 PM) take the $1400 (or $1250 even) .. assuming tenants are good .. as rental and housing market in that area is QUITE SOFT .. many layoffs .. and upgrader alley may take a few more years or decades to develop than originally planned ..

Thomas,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I appreciate and value your insight on these matters, and I will likely follow your advice in this case.

Regards,
Scott

invst4profit

Registered
Why not run a test add to get a feel for the market before throwing in the towel. Advertise in April - May at $1700, available first of July, and see what the response is. Then if you have no takers reassess in advance of present tenant leaving. Go month to month with existing tenant rather than sign new lease.
Month to month is the standard in Ontario at the end of a one year lease.

terri

Registered
I`m not going to offer advice since I know nothing about the area but out of curiousity, does the place cash flow @ $1400/mo?

vandriani

REIN Member
Just a thought, but why not offer $1400 - $1500 / month with a 6 month lease. At that point you can assess the market and see if rents have reduced, leveled or climbed. You will be taking a chance that they will decrease and then the tenant may even ask for less.

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
I have had a newly renovated 3 BR apartment in NE Edm available for two months, with little interest @ $1300. I have reduced to $1,195 with an incentive. We`ll see what interest that sparks.

dannielsen

Registered
I have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo in Ft Sask and I just renewed the lease at $1,485 + the tenant pays the power bill. I also rent out my extra parking stall for an additional $75. I did not have much trouble renting it out even though I live 2 hours away. I would recommend that you check out rentboard.ca, the fort Saskatchewan record (local paper), Gottarent etc. There are some low ball rents out there that are posted by lazy landlords or run down properties. With a little bit of work and some tips from REIN’s Solid Oak advertising you can get top rents.

Good Luck.

tsokalski

Registered
Hello

I just rented out my house in NE Edmonton and had little trouble, I received lots of responses and would of done better had I had a garage. With spring coming (hopefully) people will start to move and you will see an increased interest and/or even some desperation.

I agree and post some of your own ads to get a feel and visit some of your competing landlords properties. I have been watching a few management companies posting ads and I am seeing an increasing in them dropping their prices, is it laziness or truely warrented.

Top Bottom