Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

upgrade bedroom carpet to hardwood floor

boaz

Registered
Hi,

I am considering some upgrade on my rental house.

It is 4 bedroom 2 story house with curve stair to second floor.
Hardwood and ceramic tile are on most of area of ground level.
From stairs and entire second floor are carpet.

I would like to have all bedroom and walk-in closet hardwood floor.
I am not sure how it would look the hallway and stairs.

Any suggestion or comment would be appreciated.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
I assume this is for a rental ?

Don't over upgrade .. did you consider cost and rent levels ?

dplummer

Registered
Your hallway & stairs will recieve the highest concentration of traffic. If you need to change the carpet in this area use something durable. I wouldn't change the bedroom carpets unless they are really bad/wore/stained. If you have to change them I'd use something inexpensive. Sometimes a good carpet cleaning will do.

Doug

housingrental

Registered
From an aesthetic point of view - though as other posters have pointed out upgrading might not be the best choice for your business - you would want the hardwood to continue in the hallway. The stairs will cost more and provide less benefit - and if changing them you'll likely want a runner covering most of it.

R

RussellWestcott

I have been a big fan of laminate flooring on my rental properties.

I used to have laminate in my bedrooms, until many of my tenants complained about the noise and the 'coldness' of the floors in the bedrooms.

I've been a big fan of the following:

• Tile/ lino. in the bathrooms/ kitchens/ and entrance
  • Laminate in the main floor
    Carpet in the bedrooms

This is just a guideline, many of my properties have the exact same tenant demographic, and so this works. What is the demographic of you ideal tenant?

MrHamilton

Registered
Hi Boaz,

I'm with Russell for the most part but we use laminate in all our bedrooms as my tenant profile includes pet lovers so we avoid carpet for allergy, cleanliness, and durability reasons. Many landlords do not allow pets so this is just one strategy we use to differentiate our product.

Best Regards,

Erwin

MarkHealy

Registered
You could also consider just changing the hall and stairs to hardwood or laminate

This isolates the bedrooms and allows for them to be changed independently of each other based on wear and damage

It also puts highly durable product on high traffic areas while keeping the bedrooms "warmer" and quieter, nice in multi or high density buildings

invst4profit

Registered
How will the upgrade effect your rental rate. Will you be able to charge more. If not I would not bother for many of the reasons already mentioned. I would prefer tenants destroy carpets rather than hardwood floors.

boaz

Registered
Thank you all for your input.

I will go back to the numbers and check first if the spending is an investment.

Regards,

M.J (Boaz)

Top Bottom