Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Utility bill between tenants

llee

Registered
Hi,

My previous tenant moved out March 31, and the new tenant moved in on April 17. They were/are both responsible for their own bill. Today, I got a Hydro bill that I need to pay for the small usage between March 31 and April 17, plus the account setup fee.

This is unexpected (although it`s less than $100). The Hydro rep told me "they do not `disconnect` the service. Landlord is responsible for bills between tenants. If it`s less than 3 days, then the account setup fee can be waived. Period."

As a landlord, I have no control when my tenant calls and disconnects the service. At the end, am I responsible for his bill, if the tenant calls in early (say 14 days earlier)??

Thanks,
Lucas

Allie

Registered
QUOTE (llee @ May 7 2009, 05:49 PM) Hi,

My previous tenant moved out March 31, and the new tenant moved in on April 17. They were/are both responsible for their own bill. Today, I got a Hydro bill that I need to pay for the small usage between March 31 and April 17, plus the account setup fee.

This is unexpected (although it`s less than $100). The Hydro rep told me "they do not `disconnect` the service. Landlord is responsible for bills between tenants. If it`s less than 3 days, then the account setup fee can be waived. Period."

As a landlord, I have no control when my tenant calls and disconnects the service. At the end, am I responsible for his bill, if the tenant calls in early (say 14 days earlier)??

Thanks,
Lucas

I do not understand...If the Hydro rep tells you "they do not `disconect` the service" why would they disconnect it for the tenant at his request? If they had to disconnected the power, a reconnection fee would apply as well. I think you are really asking what would happen if the tenant lied about moving earlier than his move out date. Most tenants won`t think to do this since they wouldn`t want to risk not having power. I`ve always had to pay for hydro use in between tenants. If there is a question about who should be responsible for what dates, they will verify it will the tenant. If the tenant lies, I suspect the property owner bears the burden. Just think, someone could be racking up the power growing hydroponic plants and skip town. Another reason why screening is important.

DOZAH

Registered
Why wouldn`t you call and put the tenants on file with the utility company yourself?

You trust that the tenants will do this in a timely manner?
bad decision!

Always be weary and skeptical, always do it yourself, the utility company will allow you to put your tenants name on file with basic tenant info.

Mark it up to experience and learn from this.
I too learned the hard way.
Good luck next time.

Dejavu

Registered
QUOTE (llee @ May 7 2009, 07:49 PM) Hi,

Thanks,
Lucas

I don`t quite understand...normally the utilities companies would take a meter reading on the day that the billing name changes from the tenant to the landlord, and another one when you re-rent the property and a new tenant moves in. As such, the bill you received should indicate what period the charges are for. If the bill shows that it is from March 31 to April 17 than this is correct, your tenant called and notified them that his tenancy will be over on March 31st and naturally he would not be responsible for anything after he moves out. The new tenant will not be paying for anything until they move in. That leaves the landlord - the owner of the property, to pay for utilities when the property sits empty between tenants.

Cutting off hydro completely between tenants is not practical, plus your furnace and the hot water heater will not work without power...this could be a big problem if the temperatures are below 0C.

Top Bottom