Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Value of my rental Property

kirkkimberley

Registered
Oil Oil, Oil.

As I said in another post, oil companies are bringing in employees by the hundreds. If there are no rentals, they put them up in hotels, to live, for $2000 - $5000 a month.

Not only do we have our unit filled, we have a waiting list.

Our one bedroom was going to move out, so we went to our list. We had guys offering us $1500 a month for a one bedroom! No washer and dryer.

As I said before, we are always looking for investors. Let me know if you are interested.

Kirk

RedlineBrett

Registered
[quote user=kirkkimberley]Thanks for your reply. I am thinking the house is worth $375k, based on a 10% down on a mortgage, giving a 100% return on your investment in the first year.

Banks and appraisers won't see it this way. They don't care about cap rate or investment return. They care about comparable sales value.

You will never sell for that simply because no one will be able to get financed at that purchase price. If it appraises at 280k then an investor will be able to get a mortgage for .8 * 280k = 224k which will require them to come up with $151,000 in cash. What does this do to your investment return? You can't buy at 10% down unless you owner occupy.

Since this appears to be an excellent cashflowing property what you should do is JV out your equity (be sure to charge a premium! you have lots of room!) and keep it. I think this may be your only option to put big $$ in your pocket because a large part of the investment performance is due to your personal involvement. What if these cherry O&G contracts go away after you sell?

kirkkimberley

Registered
Hello,

Thank-you for the information.

Based on my dealings with my bank, and my current assests, my bank lends to me, if I have 10% down. I was looking for someone in a similar situation, where your assets hold the backing to purchases - and not the house itself.

Can you explain more on the JV idea you mentioned? Talk about the premium too. I'm not too proud to admit I don't know anything, so baby steps help!

Thanks,

Kirk

johnsu

Registered
Cap rates only apply to commercial products like a 4plex.

Residential real estate like SF, TH, Duplexes ect are on market value or replacement value. Great insight that Greg Habstritt said about comparing residential real estate vs commerical.

Residential real estates is more prone to "emotions" dictating the value of a house. So for example, a home buyer vs an investor buying same property. Home buyers usually will typically pay more for a property than a investors. Not saying investors don't over pay also but much less than home buyers who "fall in love" with a property cardinaal sin of a Real Estate investment.

Hence you'll never see "residential' properties in a REIT. Commericial is "non-emotional" and totally about the numbers. Like a business hence uses cap rate for valuation

RedlineBrett

Registered
To purchase an investment property with only 10% down requires you to owner occupy. That's the way it works with all major banks. I think if you dug into the dirty details with your bank you would see the conditions on the loan and you'd learn about their true guidelines.

You aren't a REIN member... so you can't access the private forums regarding joint ventures. The premise behind the REIN model joint venture is you find an investor with cash and you bring the expertise/property and you split things 50/50. Typically this means the money partner brings the 20% down payment and you do the work.

If the appraised value of the property is low relative to the income it generates then the 20% that the money partner would have to bring would be smaller. I would simply charge them more for their 50%. Whatever premium you can negotiate. You'd be in at over 100% loan-to-value though so your investment return would be almost entirely cash flow based rather than appreciation based but that's not a bad thing to most money partners.

To get a property performing like this you obviously have some talent and are well networked. I think before you do anything else you should attend the next edmonton REIN monthly meeting and seriously consider joining. You will learn all you need to from them and it after doing so you will have a lot more options. You'd probably end up leaving money on the table if you offloaded this property without doing so.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
I agree with Brett. ....but as well have no idea why you would consider selling a property that cash flows such as this.

moparcanuck

Registered
[quote user=RebeccaBryan]I agree with Brett. ....but as well have no idea why you would consider selling a property that cash flows such as this.

I agree. I am fortunate enough to have one massive cash flow property like this (although completely different situation behind it). I have one word for it.....MINE! :)

Nir

REIN Member
[quote user=kirkkimberley] there has to be something said for a house generating $4200 per month in revenue.

1000+1600+1800=$4400

on the other hand it's your property you know better :)

Nir

REIN Member
[quote user=kirkkimberley] Do I get to add the value of the asset with the income profit, or is it only worth $280k?

no u don't get to :) pls distinguish between a 'market value' of a product/business/property and the value you give it. The 2 are very different.

Nir

REIN Member
[quote user=ThomasBeyer][quote user=kirkkimberley]

If I am buying a company, I want a 100% return on my money in the first year.
Impressive.

What kind of companies are those ?

If you can consistently do that then real estate may not be for you.

You can do 100% cash-on-cash ONLY in rare circumstances in a (re)development deal with high debt. In a buy-and-hold it is more like 8-15%.

You need to value your time somehow.

cash-on-cash is one figure (green $s), hours spent is another (blue $s.)

Exactly. RE IS probably for him as significantly less time is spent per $ earned!

morismemo

Registered
That is really very informative post specially for me because before reading it me also thought that my property maintain all the time its book value, now my personal interest more developed it it and as usual your conversation is very beneficial for me.

Thanks

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=Nir]RE IS probably for him as significantly less time is spent per $ earned! Not if one wants to make 100%+ on the cash invested, which is doable (but rare) if one values ones time at 0.

Nir

REIN Member
[quote user=ThomasBeyer][quote user=Nir]RE IS probably for him as significantly less time is spent per $ earned! Not if one wants to make 100%+ on the cash invested, which is doable (but rare) if one values ones time at 0.

Hi, here is why rationally yes:

you have 100K and can make 100% a year when investing in a business you work almost full time at.

2 options:

- put the entire 100K in the business, work there and make 100K in a year

OR

- take 100K private money loan 15% interest (worse case!), make 100K-15K=85K a year Plus buy say 8 plex somewhere with around 100K down.

Kirk, what would you prefer?

Rgds,

N.

Top Bottom