Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vancouver lawyer familiar with real estate jv partnership

Twong

Registered
Hi All,

My potential JV partner went to a lawyer for independent legal council but unfortunately was advised the jv partnership agreement was not fair enough in his opinion for her to participate in. The JV agreement is pretty much the standard one Barry McGuire posted as a template with a few modifications, mostly to expand the number of money partner to be involved in the same venture, nothing outlandish.

I suspect this lawyer is not familiar with the concept of jv partnerships, splits of the responsibilities and risk for the RE expert and money partner so being conservative, advised her against participating in something he doesn`t understand. Nothing wrong with that...he is doing his job to the best of his knowledge, but unfortunately, there are gaps in his knowledge.

The long and short of this is my jv partner was not disuaded from working with me but would like me to recommend a Vancouver lawyer familiar with the kind of jv partnerships we engage in to obtain her indpendent advice from.

Does anyone in the Vancouver region know a lawyer that is familiar with RE joint ventures that I can recommend her to?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony Wong

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
any lawyer`s job is to advise HIS/HER client on the issues & risks.

His/her job is to point out the issues .. the judgement of the relevance of these issues is up the investor.

What SPECIFIC CLAUSES did he/she not like ?

Be specific and talk about it !

ANY lawyer will find flaws and issues in another lawyer`s documents !! ANY ! They will say:
a) this is risky and
b) you could lose all your money, and
c) do you trust the guy ? ,and
d) if he screws up you`re hooped, and
e) specifically clause XYZ should be re-worded ABC .. etc. ...

A lawyer we use here in Canmore, AB, who is knowledgable and easy to deal with and who is licensed in AB and BC is

Tom Docking

T: 403-678-5823
F: 403-678-4890
E: [email protected]
W: www.canmorelawyer.com

greg12

Registered
These two lawyers also do JV`sMark Warkentin(REIN Member & Real Estate Lawyer) - (604) 850-6640 Lower Mainland& Fraser Valley
Aaron Salter
(REIN Member and Real Estate Lawyer) (604) 850-6640 Lower Mainland Fraser Valley

Twong

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jan 7 2009, 09:46 PM) any lawyer`s job is to advise HIS/HER client on the issues & risks.

His/her job is to point out the issues .. the judgement of the relevance of these issues is up the investor.

What SPECIFIC CLAUSES did he/she not like ?

Be specific and talk about it !

ANY lawyer will find flaws and issues in another lawyer`s documents !! ANY ! They will say:
a) this is risky and
b) you could lose all your money, and
c) do you trust the guy ? ,and
d) if he screws up you`re hooped, and
e) specifically clause XYZ should be re-worded ABC .. etc. ...

A lawyer we use here in Canmore, AB, who is knowledgable and easy to deal with and who is licensed in AB and BC is

Tom Docking

T: 403-678-5823
F: 403-678-4890
E: [email protected]
W: www.canmorelawyer.com

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the info, Thomas. Yes I have dealt with all her questions I think to her satisfaction using information and arguments from this forum. Thank you all for that.

I think something else is in her space and today she admitted she was concern about using up her credit. This is good because now we can address that concern and get to a go/no go rather than beating around the bush.

Thank you for Mr. Docking`s contact info. I passed it on to her and she may contact him.

Ciao,

Tony Wong

Twong

Registered
QUOTE (greg12 @ Jan 8 2009, 12:58 AM) These two lawyers also do JV`sMark Warkentin(REIN Member & Real Estate Lawyer) - (604) 850-6640 Lower Mainland& Fraser Valley
Aaron Salter
(REIN Member and Real Estate Lawyer) (604) 850-6640 Lower Mainland Fraser Valley

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the contact info. I`ll pass it on to my potential jv partner and will retain for future use. I am sure I will run into the need again.

Ciao,

Tony Wong

Top Bottom